Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

R.DIFF TEMP warning ON

136K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  tdelker 
#1 ·
Hello,
Our 2008 Tribeca (5passLTD - now 60,000mi) now has the R.Diff Temp light randomly lighting up on the dashboard. It flickers and changes intensity making me believe that this is a ground problem with the sensor.

Anyone had this problem? Quick fix?

Regards,
M

#2 ·
I think I would check the level of fluid first, and if it hasn't been changed in a while or never been changed, I would do that first and see if that wouldn't correct the problem........not saying it is not a sensor or a short, I just try and do the easy things first.....

#8 ·
R. Diff Temp Warning

Thanks to all who posted about the flickering R. DIff Temp Warning light.
Mine just starting coming on at 102,000 KM - but I think it may have something to do with driving through some door level snow banks over the weekend. I'll check to see if the connection is lose before doing anything else/

#9 ·
Same problem

Had this same problem on friday. Looked under the car and found that the black ground wire connected to the diff had rotted through. Couldn't salvage the connector so i had to MacGyver a splice in and used a blue spade connector. Heat shrunk all the wires and the connection to the diff and filled the connector with dielectric grease. Hope my fix works as it is probably a $400 plus fix at the dealer.

Sigh, why is it they need to make these things so darn inacessable?

I will post as to how my fix works down the road...

Cheers

#10 ·
Hi All,

For those of you who are experiencing the R Diff Temp light coming on; Do you notice the car stuttering when the light flickers?
I have a 2007 Tribeca and when the light flickers on, the care seems to stutter upon acceleration.
We are going to be pulling a tent trailer next week and wondering if it's going to hurt anything if we don't get the problem nailed down by then. Thanks for your input.

- JP

#11 ·
I do not know.

But I know that I would take care of it if this is happening more than once. Also I would make sure the car has all the required maintenance done as per schedule and especially all the fluids were changed.

#12 ·
subbus said:
I do not know.

But I know that I would take care of it if this is happening more than once. Also I would make sure the car has all the required maintenance done as per schedule and especially all the fluids were changed.
Thanks. It's been about 8 months since our 50k mile service was performed. So, I brought the car to the dealer last night and they'll be working on it today. We have an extended (10yr/100k) warranty so I'm hoping whatever it is will be covered.

- JP

#14 ·
I'm getting the same issue.
I changed my fluid and did not notice any prior leaks.
Can someone confirm where exactly the sensor is located?

PS..one other item.
I noticed in the manual it said you can jack the rear of the truck up using the rear differential as the mounting point?

Can anyone else confirm they use this area to lift their Tribeca up?

#15 ·
Huskylord said:
I'm getting the same issue.
I changed my fluid and did not notice any prior leaks.
Can someone confirm where exactly the sensor is located?

PS..one other item.
I noticed in the manual it said you can jack the rear of the truck up using the rear differential as the mounting point?

Can anyone else confirm they use this area to lift their Tribeca up?
You can download the service manual. A link was posted on the forum.

I would not hesitate to use the diff jack up point but I wold not crawl under the car with only one jack supporting it. Play safely!!!!

#16 ·
greenwood143 said:
Not yet. Called the dealer and they mentioned that it is common that the ground of the sensor is faulty causing the issue...

Will have it checked at the next maintenance.

M
Turned out to be a faulty ground on the sensor part. They rewired it. In addition to winter conditions, we do our share of off road on our weekly trips to the cottage. The light reappeared (along with ABS, Traction and Cruise) when we drove into a large puddle. It appears that the computer was receiving fault signals from the transmission. We cleaned and sealed the transmission wires as well (as some water infiltration was causing the ground faults).

Nothing since; 92K Miles.

M

#17 ·
subbus said:
You can download the service manual. A link was posted on the forum.

I would not hesitate to use the diff jack up point but I wold not crawl under the car with only one jack supporting it. Play safely!!!!
Okay, found the sensor and have the manual.
However, with the exhaust pipe running right by, I'm having a heck of time determing how to take the sensor off (and I cant find anything in the manual specific to this). I'll give it another shot soon, but why does a 5 minute job always turn into a 2 hour excursion for me?

wahhhh

#20 ·
Ah crap, so I managed to get the sensor off, sprayed with with sensor clean, added some dialectic grease and the warning light is still on. Must be a physical issue with the wire.

Looks like I'll need to bring it in to the dealership and try to convince them the problem is in the sensor and not the fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.