Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here who's folks just bought a 2009 Tribeca here in Calgary. I belong to forums for each of my vehicles and find a huge amount of useful info in them. Since my forks aren't computer savy, I try to keep an eye out for them. Here's their buying story:

A bit of history: My parents are seniors and my father has some health issues. My mother is quick as a whip and takes care of pretty much everything...but knows nothing about cars or car buying. They had been looking for a new vehicle for my mother to drive to replace her 1994 VW Golf grocery getter. It has 86k kms on it after 15 years and would be fine but she doesn't want to drive a standard anymore and wanted AWD to deal with Calgary winters. Yup, they don't drive much. They got a new Sienna in 2004 and my father drives that occasionally. It's a 2005 and has less than 15k kms on it.

In the past 8 or nine months, I've been evaluating choices for them along the lines of CRVs, RAVs, Foresters and others along those lines. They went a drove a couple, but didn't land on anything. I told them to find what they wanted and I will go with them when they are ready to buy. I enjoy "negotiations".

Well, one Friday afternoon I get a call from them. They bought a car. I'm Informed that they bought a 2009 Subaru Tribeca that was driven by one of the dealer management and had 3600kms on it. The deal is done and they are picking it up next Monday, full warranty and the like. Seemed to be a step above the vehicles they were originally looking at, but I figured, it's their money and it will work very well for winter driving...with a bunch of luxury features.

I asked what they paid for it. My mother informs me that they got $8k off the regular price of $48k (Canadian, remember) for it having some kms on it. So $40k +tax and some Mop+glo they feel they need. Fine. I thought that was a good reduction and it is a year old with the 2010s coming out...so fair enough.

That night, considering that I really had never considered the Tribeca as a choice, I went to the Subaru Canada website and had a look at this vehicle. Looks very nice, good motor, great AWD. While fancier than necessary, I went to the "Build this Vehicle" section on the website so I can actually see it in the black they bought. As I get through the sections and to the final page with the prices, I notice that Subaru Canada is offering an incentive of $8000 on exactly their vehicle for the remaining 2009s. Uh oh. Isn't that exactly the "reduction" they got for it being a demo type vehicle? My heart starts to sink and I can just see the salesman taking advantage of my elderly folks.

While I'm enraged, my actual first thought is "They're happy with the car. They're happy with the "deal" they got. Don't make them feel bad and let it go. Over the next sleepless hours, I have a few more thoughts:
-Does it have more options that gave it a higher price? How can I find out without making them suspicious and ruining their "happiness".
-Should I go to the dealership tomorrow (saturday) and have a "chat" with the salesman without telling them? Keeping them happy and oblivious like that.
- Should I do nothing and let them get taken? How much is the stress of getting a bad deal worth.

By the morning, after a quick consult with my wife and sister about what my best course of action should be, I realize I need to lay it out for them and see what we can do about it together. I call up my folk's place and find my father's out for breakfast with some friends and only my mother is home. Good, he doesn't need the stress.

I print out all the info from the website for the exact vehicle they bought and the price for a completely new one...without the demo kms is actually $470 less than they paid for the demo, after the incentives are applied. Getting angrier.

I show my mother the printouts and before I can suggest it, she's got her coat on and tells me we need to go to the dealer...NOW. One thing about my mother. She has always been in control of family money and she's has no qualms about speaking her mind...think small, super-energetic, white haired, and now enraged German lady and you've got the basic idea.

We get to the dealership, she attacks the original salesman (a one-month in newbie who obviously has no defenses) verbally in the middle of the showroom and, with my own rage building, I can't help but play the "took advantage of the elderly" card to throw at him. He's actually backed himself under the showroom stairs by this time when we finally let up. I ask to talk to the sales manager. He says only the used car manager is in, but he'll go get him.

We laying it all out for him, he realizes that the deal isn't going to fly as originally penned (they had put a $5000 deposit down on CC the day before) and we worked on stuff. After 45min of discussing the deal we've got it down to $38k including the tax and mop+glo. I ask if my mother is OK with this, as I figure it's about $3800 off for the milage that's on the vehicle. She goes for it and they write up a new deal.

She seems in good spirits as we head home as she can tell my father they saved some money, without him needing to be involved at all.(good for his health..he doesn't need the stress of any of that). I'm feeling good about saving them a few bucks and they still get the vehicle they were so happy about the day before. As she's getting out of the vehicle she tells me she's a bit shocked that I used the words "my elderly parents" during the negotiations and that she's not elderly. good times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Seems like you guys played your hand very well. Although Becca was our first Subie, our experience with the Subaru dealership has been better that that of Dodge, Ford or Chevy and more along the lines of the service you'd get from a Volvo, BMW or Mercedes dealership.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, that is a great success story! Good for you guys and I'm glad the dealer did what was right in the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts