Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had our puddle lights installed. They look great and functional. I think it also sets it apart from alot of other cars.

When we bought our 07, we had the factory remote start installed. I found that when you use remote start the puddle lights don't turn on when you unlock the car. If you unlock the car (puddle lights turn on) and then use remote start, the puddle lights turn off.

I'm a little disappointed that they both don't work in conjuction. I would have thought that the car would "know" that remote start was engaged and to turn on the puddle lights when unlock was pressed on the remote.

I suppose this post is part rant and part fyi. Has anyone else seen this scenario?

·
Registered
160 Posts
From your description it appears that as long as engine is running, puddle lights are turned off. Which is exactly what's happening on our B9 except ours doesn't have remote starter yet.

I don't really know what to suggest here at this time. The security system is smart enough to keep the doors locked when you start the engine with remote starter, and you stiil have to unlock the doors even with the engine running.

Without seeing the wiring diagram it is hard to point to anything but I would guess that a relay or two should be able to help you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Pretty sure thats normal. I have factory puddle lights and don't think they come on when the engine is on. Some places have laws against under-car lighting on the road and this might be a feature to make sure people don't get ticketed.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I figure there's a reason why puddle lights turn off when remote start is engaged. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok, here comes an update. Lst night I was picking up our Beca from the dealer (was there for VWA-1)
and since I remembered this post, I paid attention to how exactly puddle lights worked on our car. So here is what happened:

1. Car is locked, engine off.
2. Unlock the car from remote, puddle lights come on.
3. Start the engine with the key, puddle lights go off. Now I stayed outside, just started the car to warm up the engine. Shut the door.
4. Open the door while engine is still running and - suprprise - puddle light come on.
5. Shut the door and puddle lights slowly go off.

So from my test last night it's obvious the puddle lights can be on while the engine is running. One thing to notice here is that puddle lights on my car seem to trigger at the door opening/closing, and our Beca does not have remote starter installed.

I think going over remote starter installation manual may clarify some things.

Puzzled.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, puddle lights do turn on when car is running, but only if you open the door. If you click unlock on the remote (while the car is running) the puddle lights will not turn. They only turn on via remote if the car is not running.

I wish there was a way around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts