Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 06 tribeca with what i believe to be factory puddle lights ( bought it used in 07 ) . There is one puddle light below each door ( 4 total ) the two front lights have gone out (driver side and passenger side ) I accesed the screws that hold the actual light assembly to the skirt to try to get to the bulbs so I could replace them , the screws are just spinning in thier holes and not backing out and the assembly will not come off ,SOOOOOOO the question is has anyone else had the pleasure of replacing these lights ?how did you replace the bulbs ? did you run into this problem ? and what did you do about it ?????? It seems like there is a nut on the backside of the screw that wont allow me to back it out ? And almost looks like I would have to pop the trim clips to get behind the assembly (I hope not ) Any help would be Greatly appreciated < ps First day on this site , i think i will be here a lot ,thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I know someone here replaced their lights. Do a quick search.

Oh and welcome to the club. Puddle lights are one of my favorite accessories.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Magic Marker said:
I know someone here replaced their lights. Do a quick search.

Oh and welcome to the club. Puddle lights are one of my favorite accessories.
I have same problem in my 2011 subaru tribeca. The dealer told me fix it cost about $400. the whole puddle light accessories is less than $200. only fix one light, cost so much?

·
Registered
311 Posts
2CC your 2011 would be covered under warranty. Why would the dealer quote you a $400 charge. If I am not mistaken, even if you install a factory approved Subaru accessory yourself it should be covered for a year.

·
Registered
311 Posts
illstuff said:
I have an 06 tribeca with what i believe to be factory puddle lights ( bought it used in 07 ) . There is one puddle light below each door ( 4 total ) the two front lights have gone out (driver side and passenger side ) I accesed the screws that hold the actual light assembly to the skirt to try to get to the bulbs so I could replace them , the screws are just spinning in thier holes and not backing out and the assembly will not come off ,SOOOOOOO the question is has anyone else had the pleasure of replacing these lights ?how did you replace the bulbs ? did you run into this problem ? and what did you do about it ?????? It seems like there is a nut on the backside of the screw that wont allow me to back it out ? And almost looks like I would have to pop the trim clips to get behind the assembly (I hope not ) Any help would be Greatly appreciated < ps First day on this site , i think i will be here a lot ,thanks for the help

illstuff - You have to drop the rocker panel to get to the lights

·
Registered
3 Posts
subiedan said:
2CC your 2011 would be covered under warranty. Why would the dealer quote you a $400 charge. If I am not mistaken, even if you install a factory approved Subaru accessory yourself it should be covered for a year.
Thanks subiedan, you are right. It is in warranty covered. the dealer told me that it can't be fixed by change led bulb, they need to replace whole part, so it will cost more than $400.

I wonder when the warranty is expired, if it happens again, it is worth to fix it? It should be have a easy way fix this kind of problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They have to drop rocker and just replace light assembly from inside or if problem with harness the whole thing needs replacing per side.
If they installed it it should be under warranty, if you installed then it is on you.

2cc said:
Thanks subiedan, you are right. It is in warranty covered. the dealer told me that it can't be fixed by change led bulb, they need to replace whole part, so it will cost more than $400.

I wonder when the warranty is expired, if it happens again, it is worth to fix it? It should be have a easy way fix this kind of problem.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am sure this is an easy DIY fix for one who is mechanically skilled and can remove the parts. Plus you need to understand how LED are wired and find some similar replacement. You can't simply wire the replacement LED to 12V. There must be some resistor or circuit board that lowers the voltage/current for the LED.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/How to use an LED.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
LORE BECA said:
They have to drop rocker and just replace light assembly from inside or if problem with harness the whole thing needs replacing per side.
If they installed it it should be under warranty, if you installed then it is on you.
Thanks guys.

The dealer is wrong, they think they need to change all, in fact only one LED light need to change, it costs around $50. it is very easy job. I think anyone can do it. just remember seal the part. If water get in. the part will be dead.

Please see this link http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/63756/pdf/063756-h471sxa100.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
My front passenger puddle light has been out since I purchased my '06 over a year ago. Last weekend I decided to pull it off and order a new one.

There are about six pop-plugs that hold the plastic rocker panel in place once those are out you should be able to pull on it to take it off the car.

The lamp easily un-clips from the wiring as a whole unit. I used a 7mm socket on the nut holding the lamp on the rocker panel but you will need to pop off the screw cover on the exterior side. (Hopefully the assembly comes with new screw covers as one did not survive the operation.)

Fortunately the Subaru part number was included on a label that was attached to the old unit. This made it easy to do a catalog lookup. The lamp cost about $25+S&H from an online OEM parts dealer and should arrive in another 3-4 days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my puddle lights but nobody can find the bulb. does anybody have a part number. The dealor and any of the oem parts dealors cant figure it out.

Thanks

Drew

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you pop out the lamp there is a sticker that has the part number printed on it. I plugged that number in to www.subarupartsdepot.com and it gave me an error stating that the part was not for the car I selected. I ordered it anyways and it was, indeed, the correct part. Keep a hold of the screws and the screw covers as these are not included with the part.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Single puddle light lamp part # H471SXA011, about $15 online, complete kit is H471SXA100 at ~$185 at the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts