Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just bought a key fob for my b9 tribeca but do not have any instructions on how to program it. Could someone help me out with this?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry everyone, I've got it. But since I didn't see it anywhere I'll post it for everyone in case it's needed again. Please see below for instructions for programming a key fob for a Tribeca.

First obtain the code(s) for the remotes. They can be found either on the inside the remote on the circuit board. It is an 8 digit number.

1. Get in the car and shut the door
2. Turn the key to the ON position 10 times within 15 seconds, you should hear a beep (again, you will not hear this beep if the alarm is in valet mode)
3. Open and close the drivers side door. The alarm will start sounding and will go off for approx 30 seconds.
4. BEFORE the alarm stops sounding, press the lock button the same number of times as the first digit of the number for the remote (For example, if the number of the remote is 64521256, press the lock button 6 times.)
5. Then press unlock on the door lock switch (this tells the system you are entering the next number)
6. Repeat step 4 for the second digit.
7. Press unlock on the door switch
8. Continue doing steps 4 and 5 until all 8 numbers are done.
9. After you have entered the last digit, the alarm will sound again for approx 30 seconds.
10. Enter the entire number again, following the steps above, starting with step # 4
11. As long as the second code entered is the same as the first one, the doors will lock and unlock by themselves.
12. ** If you have additional remotes, repeat steps 4 thru 10
13. When finished programming all remotes, remove key from ignition and test remotes.

I know this sounds like a lot and it is but it works. I just did it and it's working like a champ.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Kripes...what a PITA!!!!

Also good Find! Where'd you find this? I believe as far as anyone else here knew, you had to have the dealer program the fobs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
snork said:
Kripes...what a PITA!!!!

Also good Find! Where'd you find this? I believe as far as anyone else here knew, you had to have the dealer program the fobs.
Somewhat of a pain, but better than paying a deal $50+ to reprogram a key/fob

·
Registered
14 Posts
snork said:
Kripes...what a PITA!!!!

Also good Find! Where'd you find this?
It is in the owner's manual starting on page 2-11.

When I try it I can't get past step 2. I do not get the "beep" after turning the key from "lock" to "on" 10 times within 15 seconds. I have tried it several times.

It says that "The system can learn up to four unique transmitter codes". Does anyone know how to tell how many are entered? If four codes have been entered is it possible that It will not allow another to be entered? I sure don't want to erase the current one and have to reenter both again.

Also the manual is missing a step 3, but they are all there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
key fob programming

I grt to the point where the doors lock and unlock. when i push the button the remote still wont work. What am i missing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replacement Key FOB

Just got back from Vega$...

I had valeted my car a few times, and the last time I noticed that the key fob was missing it's buttons... Still works, but looks pretty ghetto.

Where do I get a replacement? I have checked eBay and they all look like used FOBs.

Has anyone gotten through eBay or other sources?

Thanks,
Lansing

UPDATE:

I received my replacement (used) remote from eBay. $15. It looks like I'm going to have to take a day off work to program the stupid thing. If I read this right, I'm inputting the 8 digit code TWICE by pressing the lock/unlock buttons. What are the chances of doing that without fat fingering it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did this last night for my new 2008 Tribeca. The remote didn't work, and the key would set off the alarm anytime I opened it manually. Very embarrassing. I'm not sure if it fixed opening the door with the key, but I will be using the remote from now on obviously.

It really is easier than it looks, first try no problem. 10 minutes max. Instructions are also in the owners manual for quick reference, as someone else said. Thanks for the write-up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a used FOB off ebay for about 25 bucks from memory, and went through the steps. Worked a treat. I just thought I'd add a couple of comments for anyone else (see below) who wants to follow these steps in the future. Also wanted to add my thumbs up to Whizey for posting it.

Sorry everyone, I've got it. But since I didn't see it anywhere I'll post it for everyone in case it's needed again. Please see below for instructions for programming a key fob for a Tribeca.

First obtain the code(s) for the remotes. They can be found either on the inside the remote on the circuit board. It is an 8 digit number.

1. Get in the car and shut the door
2. Turn the key to the ON position 10 times within 15 seconds, you should hear a beep (again, you will not hear this beep if the alarm is in valet mode)
3. Open and close the drivers side door. The alarm will start sounding and will go off for approx 30 seconds. Note that the "alarm" is not the car alarm, but rather a small high pitched beep from the dashboard area - I put off programming the FOB for weeks for fear of unwanted attention in my neighbourhood. Eventually I drove out into the country to do this, and immediately felt like a dunce when the 'alarm' was nothing more than a squeak. ha ha.
4. BEFORE the alarm stops sounding, press the lock button the same number of times as the first digit of the number for the remote (For example, if the number of the remote is 64521256, press the lock button 6 times.) Felt the need to clarify that the lock button is the lock button on the drivers side door, NOT the lock button on the FOB.
5. Then press unlock on the door lock switch (this tells the system you are entering the next number) Again, the unlock button here is the unlock button on the drivers side door of the bar.
6. Repeat step 4 for the second digit.
7. Press unlock on the door switch Ditto
8. Continue doing steps 4 and 5 until all 8 numbers are done.
9. After you have entered the last digit, the alarm will sound again for approx 30 seconds.
10. Enter the entire number again, following the steps above, starting with step # 4
11. As long as the second code entered is the same as the first one, the doors will lock and unlock by themselves.
12. ** If you have additional remotes, repeat steps 4 thru 10
13. When finished programming all remotes, remove key from ignition and test remotes.

I know this sounds like a lot and it is but it works. I just did it and it's working like a champ.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Important to note also that this programs the remote, but the key (even if properly cut) will not start the car without the dealer programing the key into the car's computer. That was a let down, and the dealer we bought the key from never told me. I had to pay a dealer closer to me to program the key. Bad service from the Salt Lake City dealer that sold me the key.

·
Administrator
673 Posts
Any chance that doing this disables the first remote if you fail? That has happened on some aftermarket alarms that I have seen.

·
Administrator
673 Posts
FYI,

I failed a few times before getting it right. The old remote worked all the while. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
There are 4 memory slots for key fobs. It pushes the oldest memory slot out first. Is if you have 2 working remotes, you then failed programming a new one one time, and got it right the 2nd time, all will work. If you failed twice, you will push one of the working remotes out.

·
Administrator
673 Posts
There are 4 memory slots for key fobs. It pushes the oldest memory slot out first. Is if you have 2 working remotes, you then failed programming a new one one time, and got it right the 2nd time, all will work. If you failed twice, you will push one of the working remotes out.
That is actually very helpful. I failed a total of 3 times!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts