Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
06 Tribeca
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found the procedure from an old post, I hope it's correct. Thanks.

"
Now this is a big assumption that the '09 is the same as my '06, but in the '06 there is a small hole in the rear rotor (accessible by taking off the rear wheels) covered by a small round black rubber grommet thingy. Jack up both rear wheels with car in neutral and parking brake OFF. CHOCK BOTH FRONT WHEELS SO CAR WONT ROLL!!!! Remove wheels. Doing one side at a time find the small rubber grommet hole and pop out rubber cover. Turn wheel by hand until the hole is directly on the bottom (6 o'clock) use a flash light to peer inside, locate a little round thingy with teeth on it and use a regular (flat) screwdriver to to turn it. I forget which way but it may be up to tighten. Turn till its snug but u can still turn wheel by hand. Repeat for other side. That should do it.

EDIT: you can also adjust the cable under the dash. it is connected to the foot brake pedal. i just tightened mine up and its much better now.

It is not self-adjusting according to the FSM. Nate is correct. The cable adjustment nut is located at the pedal. The procedure is first to set the brake shoe clearance, through the access holes in the rotors, then adjust the cable so that the brake sets firmly after 5 to 7 clicks.
PS I doubt the OP or #5 are still around.
"

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca
101 Posts
I very randomly got the 'red exclamation point in a red circle' light come on on my dash. The light isn't there when I start my car but comes up as soon as I put the car in gear. I did a thorough tear down and relubing of the brake components and put brand new crossdrilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads on the vehicle about 3 months ago and everything feels great and hasn't been giving me any problems, so I'm at a loss as to why this light started coming on. I've added some extra brake fluid to the reservoir (slightly above the line as I've read to do in other posts) and I've pressed the parking brake on and off several times and it feels fine. Could tinkering with the adjustment in the rotor or at the brake with the adjuster possibly fix the light on issue? I'm at a loss... I'll try anything at this point. Thanks everyone.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
475 Posts
it is not clear to me - after putting car in a gear... what happens with that light? stays on? turns off after a while? turns off after you engage/disengage parking brake or apply brakes?
fluid above the line - which line - minimum or maximum? are you loosing fluid over time(read - leak somewhere).
have you tried bleeding air (I mean full bleed, like after changing abs unit)?

have you read OWNERS MANUAL? say - chapter 3 - Instruments and controls...
it talks about - is parking brake on, is fluid level all right and it can possibly show some issues with EBD(though it should enable ABS light too then, but you don't mention it being on).
so - may be wiring to/from parking brake sensor (which turns on parking brake sign on panel) is faulty? another thing to check.
have you tried reading error codes from abs - may be there are clues...

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca
101 Posts
My speedsensor failed over the winter (on the rear passenger side) throwing a code and setting off the traction control and ABS lights, those were the only lights on the dash. When I switched my winter rims/tires to my summer ones in the spring I tried to change the sensor but it broke off and was stuck in the wheel bearing assembly, still no other lights came on the dash. And then, out of nowhere, the E-brake light came on, like 6 months after the speedsensor failed. I ended up taking it to a local mechanic who had to change out the wheel bearing which had the broken sensor stuck in it, he did nothing to the E-brake but all lights are now off my dash. I didn't think the 2 would have anything to do with each other, but all is good now

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
475 Posts
"it can possibly show some issues with EBD" - that is system which relies on ABS sensors working. so - I think that everything is clear as a day :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts