Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at small to midsize SUV's for about month now. My brother owns an outback and told me to look at the Forester. While at my Subaru dealer, I decided to also test drive the 07 Tribeca. Probably shouldn't have because it has only added to my car buying indecision. While I have narrowed my small SUV choices to the Rav4, CRV and the Kia Sorento, but I keep coming back to the 07 Tribeca as a major step up in size and features. All the models they have left are Limiteds with Navi\DVD that list for $39,400.

The Local dealership is taking $7K off their remaining 07's, how much more can I expect the prices to come down with the 08's already out. They have 8 on the lot and none have been sold since I first looked 4 weeks ago even with the price discount. Any help from the Subie faithful would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I've heard people getting them for just in the high 20's. I'm sure if you really haggle with them they will drop in price. I saw, when I bought mine back in November, how much the actual dealer cost was. Trust me, they will still make money even if you get a killer deal. My dealer said he was only selling about one a month back when I bought mine. I'm sure they don't want to sit on those much longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
We just bought our 07 w/ 8600 miles on it. It is an 07 7 passenger Limited. No navi or dvd. We had him install the remote start and aero rack. We got it for $26,495. I hope that helps you in your negotiation. It was one of his last two left.

We also test drove (all 08) CR-V EXL, Rav 4 6cyl, CX-7 and Suzuki XL7. The Tribeca beat them all out due to value and overall looks. All SUV's started to look the same to us and the Tribeca just looked different.

If you don't need the DVD and Navi, just look around some more for better pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
We've got our brand new 07 B9 Limited (no Nav/no DVD but leather, roof rack and such) for 27.9K in the middle of July from a dealer in Mass. It had MSRP of 34K; no mileage either - 22 miles on odometer. We could get fully stuffed 07 B9 (Nav, DVD, backup camera ,leather, roof rack) for 32K at same place and for 32.5K at another place. We just couldn't justify paying 4K for DVD and NAV. I only regret not having backup camera.

These were best prices we could find around, and it wasn't long and hard negotiation process with that dealer. (That said, they did try to sell us the usual "volcano insurance" product set like teflon protection in and out, some mortgage insurance, etc - we just declined).

Some other dealers in the area were acting like it was 2005 - one tried to sell us basic MY07 5-seater with cloth for 32K. That's with 4 MY08 Tribecas sitting on the lot already. We just drove 20 miles up north and got the Limited for 4K less.

So shop around if you're still looking. and good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
SubOperator said:
We've got our brand new 07 B9 Limited (no Nav/no DVD but leather, roof rack and such) for 27.9K in the middle of July from a dealer in Mass. It had MSRP of 34K; no mileage either - 22 miles on odometer. We could get fully stuffed 07 B9 (Nav, DVD, backup camera ,leather, roof rack) for 32K at same place and for 32.5K at another place. We just couldn't justify paying 4K for DVD and NAV. I only regret not having backup camera.

These were best prices we could find around, and it wasn't long and hard negotiation process with that dealer. (That said, they did try to sell us the usual "volcano insurance" product set like teflon protection in and out, some mortgage insurance, etc - we just declined).

Some other dealers in the area were acting like it was 2005 - one tried to sell us basic MY07 5-seater with cloth for 32K. That's with 4 MY08 Tribecas sitting on the lot already. We just drove 20 miles up north and got the Limited for 4K less.

So shop around if you're still looking. and good luck.
Yeah, $4k for Navi and DVD isn't worth it. I read that the Navi is antiquated and the screen resolution is poor. Def not worth $2k, when you can get a Garmin for $400 with text to speech and a much better screen resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I had by 07 5 pass Limited with SE Package for 2k under invoice (appx 6k under list) because of the rebate early March. No navi, no DVD. I definitely preferred the function and form and value of the Garmins. 7k off list seems about right for the time of the year.

Shop around, be well informed, do not be in a rush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Magic Marker said:
We just bought our 07 w/ 8600 miles on it. It is an 07 7 passenger Limited. No navi or dvd. We had him install the remote start and aero rack. We got it for $26,495. I hope that helps you in your negotiation. It was one of his last two left.

We also test drove (all 08) CR-V EXL, Rav 4 6cyl, CX-7 and Suzuki XL7. The Tribeca beat them all out due to value and overall looks. All SUV's started to look the same to us and the Tribeca just looked different.

If you don't need the DVD and Navi, just look around some more for better pricing.
Was that your "out the door price" or plus tax/tags/title?

Which dealer did you go to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Patience Jedi, patience...

We waited, and waited, and waited.....and finally found an '06 7passenger w/dvd and nav (sticker 39K) for 24500 (before trading in my '96 outback). We think we hit the "sweet spot".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
mikesreed said:
We waited, and waited, and waited.....and finally found an '06 7passenger w/dvd and nav (sticker 39K) for 24500 (before trading in my '96 outback). We think we hit the "sweet spot".
Nice pickup. How many miles were on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Finally picked up our limited 7 passenger last night. No DVD or nav (on purpose, I have a buddy that can install better systems for less), 22k miles. Ended up paying $24k out the door (incl tax, tags, title, etc.).

I also bought the 100k/6yr ($100 deductible) gold plan for $1427 out the door, including the $95 surcharge. Fully refundable if you never use it.

Got it at Ramsey Subaru. Nice enough people, but definately shop around. There was an '06 limited (no nav or dvd) at Premier Subaru in CT for $23k and change while we were looking with the same milage, but I figured for the same price I'd take the '07.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Finally picked up our limited 7 passenger last night. No DVD or nav (on purpose, I have a buddy that can install better systems for less), 22k miles. Ended up paying $24k out the door (incl tax, tags, title, etc.).
Sounds like a good deal. Congrats on the purchase.

I also bought the 100k/6yr ($100 deductible) gold plan for $1427 out the door, including the $95 surcharge. Fully refundable if you never use it.
Are you sure that plan is the Subaru plan? Seems kinda steep. Then there is the $95 surcharge which I have no idea what that is about. Also I've never heard of a plan that will be fully refundable if you never use it. I'd be interested in hearing some details about that.

Got it at Ramsey Subaru. Nice enough people, but definately shop around. There was an '06 limited (no nav or dvd) at Premier Subaru in CT for $23k and change while we were looking with the same milage, but I figured for the same price I'd take the '07.
Good idea to pick up an 07. That way you'll have a little less chrome on the front grill and you'll have the AUX input in the center armrest. When we were shopping around, we noticed that Ramsey had quite a few B9's, but we got a little better deal at Wayne, Subaru.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Sounds like a good deal. Congrats on the purchase.


Are you sure that plan is the Subaru plan? Seems kinda steep. Then there is the $95 surcharge which I have no idea what that is about. Also I've never heard of a plan that will be fully refundable if you never use it. I'd be interested in hearing some details about that.


Good idea to pick up an 07. That way you'll have a little less chrome on the front grill and you'll have the AUX input in the center armrest. When we were shopping around, we noticed that Ramsey had quite a few B9's, but we got a little better deal at Wayne, Subaru.
Yep, it's a Subaru plan. Was going to buy it here:
http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/security.html but they price matched and included the $95 surcharge. The initial quote was well over retail price ($1900) by $500, so $2400 for it. The finance guy came down to the below retail price in about 2 seconds, so we got it for $1427. As seen on the above site, the plan is refundable if not used, and is a Subaru warranty, not an aftermarket warranty.

I would have preferred to go to Wayne, but they had no inventory, in either a used Tribeca, or a new Forester/Impreza wagon that my uncle was looking for. We went where the car was.

Got to drive it home last night, and am pleasantly suprised with the power and handling for a small/mid-sized SUV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
07 Tribeca price

MSRP:$37,920 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D874401809
VIP pricing: $35,172
minus: $8,000 trade: 2003 Forester
plus: $2,169.04 : Tax, tags, docs, etc...
$29,341.04
less $3,500 cash back
$25,841.04 OTD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
celtic1mike said:
MSRP:$37,920 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D874401809
VIP pricing: $35,172
minus: $8,000 trade: 2003 Forester
plus: $2,169.04 : Tax, tags, docs, etc...
$29,341.04
less $3,500 cash back
$25,841.04 OTD
Wow...did you still find a new 07 hanging around? I was looking around N. Jersey/lower NY and no one around here has one left. Woulda been a little steep for me pricewise anyway since I had no trade-in. We just bought our 07 (as listed in my sig) right before the new year for $27.5k + tax/tags/etc with 8440 on the ODO. I think we got a pretty good deal:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Sounds like a great deal for you, if you don't mind me asking what was the MSRP?

The one we got was pretty loaded up. We wouldn't normally buy a car with all the goodies, but with the $3500 cash back it still came in cheaper than a 2008 that had less options. I thought it would be nice to treat the wife to the leather, sunroof, DVD/NAV/Back up camera, remote start, 3rd row seating, etc... . That, and it was an easier transaction trading in the Forester to Subaru, rather than trying to sell it on our own. The new, never titled, Tribeca had 5,800 on the odometer at the time of purchase (employee car): MSRP:$37,920 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D874401809


Subaru of Cherry Hill still has one 2007 left:
http://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/NewVehicleSearch
MSRP:$40,129 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D974406890


We were initially thinking about a new Suzuki XL7 or Honda Pilot. Anybody have any thoughts on those two cars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
We were initially thinking about a new Suzuki XL7 or Honda Pilot. Anybody have any thoughts on those two cars?
I test drove an XL7 and just didn't like the dash layout or overall feel. It seemed small. Never tested the Pilot. Although a very able bodied SUV, it lacks style, hence the purchase of the B9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
celtic1mike said:
Sounds like a great deal for you, if you don't mind me asking what was the MSRP?

The one we got was pretty loaded up. We wouldn't normally buy a car with all the goodies, but with the $3500 cash back it still came in cheaper than a 2008 that had less options. I thought it would be nice to treat the wife to the leather, sunroof, DVD/NAV/Back up camera, remote start, 3rd row seating, etc... . That, and it was an easier transaction trading in the Forester to Subaru, rather than trying to sell it on our own. The new, never titled, Tribeca had 5,800 on the odometer at the time of purchase (employee car): MSRP:$37,920 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D874401809


Subaru of Cherry Hill still has one 2007 left:
http://www.subaruofcherryhill.com/NewVehicleSearch
MSRP:$40,129 Transmission:Automatic Exterior:Obsidian Black Pearl Interior:Beige VIN:4S4WX86D974406890


We were initially thinking about a new Suzuki XL7 or Honda Pilot. Anybody have any thoughts on those two cars?
Original MSRP on ours $40,058...$37,295 for 07 B9 Tribeca Limited 7 pass w/ DVD & navi, $625 destination, $328 protection group 2 (mats, bumper underguard, bumper cover), $293 popular Equipment group 1 (auto dim mirror and security shock sensor), $215 aero cross bars, $229 puddle lights, $628 trailer hitch & tranny cooler, $445 XM sat radio = $40,058. Invoice would have been $36,964. Those figures are according to www.carprices.com.

Also for comparison, my dealer offered $36,906 + tax/title/reg for a new 08 with the same options, MSRP of $40,157 & invoice of $37,255 & 4.9% APR financing thru SOA.

Ours was also a Subaru factory demo car. There was no previous individual owner and carfax showed 0 records on the vin #??? Although apparently somebody had it in W. Virginia, at least that was were the previous "Home" destination was set on the navi;) And incidentally, I put $4514 down on mine to get financed OTD for $25,000.00 @ SOA standard 7.9% used car APR. Yeah I could have gotten a better rate with my wife's credit union, but it woulda been a PITA and only saved us 10-15 bucks a month which in the grand scheme of things is $600-$900 but I intend to pay it off early anyway:)

As for the XL7, I've never been in one, looks are meh. Honda Pilot was probably my 2nd choice as well. I personally love Hondas (my daily driver is an 03 V6 Accord coupe) but the Pilots are just so boring as Magic Marker said. Very functional and utilitarian, but no real soul to the vehicle which the Subie has in spades. Not to mention due to Honda's high resale value I couldn't get near as much in a Pilot (new or used) for the $27.5k I got our B9 for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
The B9 feels like a sports car, I can't imagine the XL7 or Pilot would come close to the handling characteristics of the B9, and the looks of the B9 are superior. My buddy has the Pilot, and they are pretty plain Jane inside, but great vehicles.

SNORK, I am a little confused on your "$27.5k I got our B9 for", is that the total after your deposit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Sorry...to simplify, the dealer's list price for our B9 was $27,500 + tax/title/reg which came to $29,514 TOTAL and I put down $4514 cash b/c I didn't want to finance more than 25k.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top