Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
How many of you actually use premium gas as opposed to the regular unleaded in your 06 Tribeca? What would be the implications involved?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
In our 07, we only use 93. I ran a few tanks of 87 and found that the engine felt sluggish off the line and in passing. There isn't enough of a cost savings between 93 and 87 to not put in the recommended octane.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use the highest octane fuel I can find in our '06. In Maine, that's only 91. Road trips to New Hampshire and Massachusetts mean that we can put 93 in her.

Using fuel that's lower octane than the manufacturer requires CAN result in the dreaded "pinging," which is the fuel in your cylinder detonating because of the compression (which generates heat) in the piston, and not because of the spark from the plug. This CAN be very bad ju-ju for a motor, because it means that the engine isn't expecting the explosion at that point...

Contrary to popular belief, the minimum octane rating that engineers give their engines is not a secret plot to sell more expensive gasoline, but intended to ensure that your engine gets what it needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started using 89 octane about 20K miles ago, when gasoline was almost $5.00 US per gallon. I haven't noticed much of a difference. The vehicle always hesitates when I accelerate quickly whether it's running on 93, 91 or 89 octane.

From what I've been told the B9 has the same motor as the '04 LLBean Outback which I owned before the Tribeca '06 B9 and it hesitated too, and I always ran it with 93 or 91 octane.

I don't know if using a lower octane than 'recomended' will harm the motor or if it's really worth the 10 cents per gallon savings, which would add up to around $833.00 if you get 18 mpg and run the car for 150,000 miles...I think I just talked myself out of this, first time I did the math...

That's my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.