Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in from changing the oil, and I noticed when I took off the access cover to the filter, there was a lot of oil on the underside of the engine. I haven't notice it dripping on the driveway but still a little concerning. I searched the forum but didn't find anything, are there any know problems that I need to look out for in regards to the oil system?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Make sure the rubber gasket on the old filter wasnt' squeezed onto the oil ring and left behind. I had this happen and it led to the a major leak on the highway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would suggest trying to clean the area the best you can of the mess. Then keep an eye on it to see if you can tell where the oil is coming from. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Potential oil leak problem

As above, also had to replace an oil cooler seal/ring. The other thing to watch is to make sure that the new oil filter seals really well without any debris or old oil grit on the surface where the new filter O ring sits, and make sure the new setup is REALLY SNUG...get under and look a few times after driving the first few times following the change over. Might find a very small drip until you've got it tight enough. Careful not to over tighten.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oil cooler replacement

johnnyzephyr said:
As above, also had to replace an oil cooler seal/ring. The other thing to watch is to make sure that the new oil filter seals really well without any debris or old oil grit on the surface where the new filter O ring sits, and make sure the new setup is REALLY SNUG...get under and look a few times after driving the first few times following the change over. Might find a very small drip until you've got it tight enough. Careful not to over tighten.
I replaced oil cooler seal once, helped for a while. Had problem again, so replaced the oil cooler per service tech. Seems to have fixed it ($350).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts