Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with major corrosion build up on the positive battery terminal? I'm thinking the red plastic cover is holding moisture in and causing the build up so i removed it and cleaned the terminal again. The negative side is perfect and never has a problem. I'm just curious if any other Tribeca owners have encountered this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OH HECK YEAH!!! I am about ready to change out the cable myself and am looking for a bit of direction on how-to go about it. The cable connector is completely eaten thru on one side... Had it in to do a service and asked them to check why i was having some issues starting it intermittantly. Said had no issues or basically found nothing (but did wipe my battery clean on top... gee, helpful Larry Miller Subaru). My wife took it to a lube place to change the oil and they discovered that the fluid level was low in the battery. I guess they aren't taught to check that at the very exclusive dealer level (btw this was 2 months ago and it did temoprarily help the issue). and tonight... about 1.5 hours before a party the B9 was no go... i twisted the pos terminal and it moved and showed me the fault in the connection and my starting issue. now to find the easy/inexpensive way to change it. ANYONE?? ANYONE???

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this past summer I replaced the positive terminal. It unbolts from the cables and is easily replaced. The terminal can only be purchased at a Subaru dealer for about $20. So after replacing the terminal, I noticed this fall that the corrosion was coming back (positive post only again). I replaced the battery, cleaned the terminal (again) and haven't had an issue since. While I couldn't see anything wrong with the battery, I have to assume there was a minute crack in the battery around the positive battery post. The negative side never had a problem. I would not waste any time and replace the terminal and battery. Subaru also has a battery maintenance kit which has a cleaner spray with anti-corrosion inhibitors and felt pads that go between the post and terminals which I also used. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I noticed the same on ours after a heavy snowfall. I had charged the battery only a couple of weeks before and don't recall seeing any corrosion then.
I cleaned it up and smeared both terminals with petroleum jelly. It is fine now after several weeks of snow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
positive terminal corrosion

here was my terminal on my 06 beca at 77,000

one year ago it was fine,as I had cleaned and greased it

I bolted on a new end from orielly ..3 bucks or so.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.