Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a 2006 Tribeca, has 27K miles, nav, puddle lights, 3rd row..Certified...100K mile warranty, silver...

Drove it, like it..but the second row seats felt a little dissapointing...flat.. Handled really well, pretty quiet, liked the driver/passenger feeling.

Anyhow, they priced it pretty good at $21500. Best they would do due to that is $21000. Looking at $22500 OTD.

I really wanted a rear dvd but I can get that installed anytime.

Whatcha guys think!? Im a new to be Subie owner, wife currently drives a 01 Grand Cherokee Limited.. Good Deal? Good SUV? Ive done my research and read about them, just want some thoughts from the owners!

Oh, and is premium fuel necessary? Any issue besides performance if I run 87?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can't help you too much as my Tribeca is a MY2008 Ltd. Nice road car, mine only needs regular gas. Don't have the puddle lights. Our other car is a 1998 Outback Ltd 5 speed. Subaru's are great in the snow and rain. Much more stable.

Both cars get shod with Blizzaks during the winter months (have separate wheels with Blizzaks mounted). Makes it easier to plow through the untracked snow in snowy areas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's my car exactly - only blue. I bought the same thing for $19k with 40k on it. Is yours a five or seven passenger?

As for 87, don't do it. Higher-than-normal compression engine will begin to ping on 87. We run 91 with no problems (as that's the highest octane available in Maine.)

This is our second Subaru at this moment, and my third overall. The 'Beca is a real SUV, and is going to be un-farking-stoppable in the snow, even with the all-seasons. I don't have a Blizzak budget, and I run the OEM Bridgestone RE92's on my WRX all winter with no problems at all. The 'Beca has the advantage of the all-wheel drive, with the added bonus of about 5000lbs. pushing down through the snow. A sure-footed mountain goat.

Buy it. It'll run forever, and besides - how often will you sit in the backseat anyway?

·
Registered
630 Posts
the second row slides foward and back..if its a 7pass..not sure for 5pass, overall its a great car plus or minus a few things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought an '06 for the wife in August. 28K, 3rd row seat, Nav, and 100K warranty. They were asking $20,900 we got it for 20k + tax and tags. I wouldn't worry about the back seat (3rd row?) 2nd row seems adequate for most people. Haven't driven it snow yet , but we are alternating between 89 & 92 gas with no evident problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 7 pass. Iam bummed that it needs premium fuel. That is terrible sine its about .30 cents more a gal fromreg to prem. Should I spend. Xtra 500 for extended wrap around warranty? Right now just has powertrain. Thanks guy
s

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy Crap. When I was looking in March, we test drove an '06 white/slate Limited 7 pass nav w/ 28k miles for $17,900. Have they gone up that much in 7 months, or are these less in our area? Granted, there was no additional warranty, but I can't imagine that it would be $3k more for it. It was serviced up to current standards and still had the 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty.

I run 92 octane as it is only $0.20 more /gallon, and at $2.50/gal vs $2.30/gal, it's not that big of a difference out of the wallet on a 10-12 gallon fillup (~$2.00).

·
Registered
552 Posts
FWIW, I've pretty much run 100% regular 87 octane with NO ISSUES whatsoever in my 07...same engine as 06. There is absolutely no ping/knocking...if any modern engine built in the last 10 years actually pings, there's probably something else wrong:rolleyes:

And no it does not affect fuel economy. Just came back from CT (to NJ) averaged 65-70mph and 22.8 MPG which is better than the stated EPA fuel economy. I've put in 6 or 7 tanks of 91 octane and the only difference I noticed is a bit more throttle response but nothing that just standing on the gas pedal wouldn't fix otherwise and definitely worth saving the $2/tank!

Anywho...my local dealer has a 06 7-pass w/ rear-dvd (but no navi??? was that an option in 06? The pics clearly show the rear-DVD but no navi screen) with 39.4k miles for $19,886 but that's without the warranty too. So $21,500 w/ 100k warranty isn't too shabby IMHO. $21k even would be my goal.

If you want check out the link below and print it out...see what your dealer says.
http://www.billkolbjrsubaru.com/Pre-Owned-Inventory.aspx

·
Registered
552 Posts
McGurk said:
Holy Crap. When I was looking in March, we test drove an '06 white/slate Limited 7 pass nav w/ 28k miles for $17,900. Have they gone up that much in 7 months, or are these less in our area? Granted, there was no additional warranty, but I can't imagine that it would be $3k more for it. It was serviced up to current standards and still had the 5 yr/100k powertrain warranty.
Believe it or not, used car prices have actually gone UP quite a bit over the course of this year. The whole cash-for-clunkers wiped out "cheap" (under $5k) used cars over the summer. With new car sales way down, most dealers aren't stocking a lot of new cars so "nicer" used cars are actually the first to go. Also with the whole down economy, a lot of people are actually wising up and buying used to avoid the "new car tax" (ie: instant depreciation driving off the lot :eek:).

Heck I got my Tribeca 1 yr old used...but more so b/c I wanted a nicer car than I could afford new:p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Heracles said:
Its a 7 pass. Iam bummed that it needs premium fuel. That is terrible sine its about .30 cents more a gal fromreg to prem. Should I spend. Xtra 500 for extended wrap around warranty? Right now just has powertrain. Thanks guy
s
If you run 87, you'll have a little less hp and get a little lower mpg (1 or 2). My dealer says that they've had a couple Tribeca's run on 87 that developed a knock. After a few tanks of premium, the knock went away.

The lower mpg roughly offsets the cost savings, so you'll come out about the same. Just run the premium.

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeahh i have noticed the used B9s have gone up!! Im happy about it tho :) and Subaru in general have highh resale i mean an 08 Outback now is like 20,000 maybe and have leather and such but in 10 years it will be like 10,000 and stay at that price!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not sure what Im gonna do guys. I think I might just do it. I guess $22500 out the door with 27K miles isnt too shabby. wish it had r dvd but i can always get that installed.

Not sure of any other comparable suv I can get for $22k OR LESS..?

·
Registered
630 Posts
you could keep lookin around, maybe check Craigslist.com..for an original owner vs a dealer or even dealers..andd other SUVs for 22....you could get a Nissan Mourano? Honda Pilot? Jeep?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
you could keep lookin around, maybe check Craigslist.com..for an original owner vs a dealer or even dealers..andd other SUVs for 22....you could get a Nissan Mourano? Honda Pilot? Jeep?
Maybe a Jeep- but not much else...I had a GC limited for a few years, kinda wanted something different- but the Jeep was nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tribeca_06 said:
I looked at the Murano and the Pilot also. Good vehicles but priced a few grand over the B9 for something comparable. A jeep? Forget it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
there really are alot of cars you could get as much as we all for the most part love the B9t but the Murano has sooo many more options..in 2006 i could have memory seat, backupcam, siruis, powerlift gate..but i mean you could also get a 2005 Mercedes ML350 alot more miles but really its a long list..and a Jeep you can prob get a good price on considering their current finaicail state, and really used Murano's and Pilots are more then the B9? I guess i depends on the year? Some Muranos i think the 04s are like $10,000..but prob have 60,000miles..atleast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like you are settling for a car you aren't too interested in, for a price your not happy with. WALK. If they really want a sale, they'll call you back, and you can talk price. I got calls all the time when I was looking before I bought. Annoying, yes, but the ball is in your court. That isn't the only '06 Tribeca around. Maybe if you posted a region, we could help you out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
6 months ago I would have said that Tribeca was overpriced. My local dealer was selling lease returns for 19K no dicker. Now there are fewer out there and used car prices have rebounded. Another local dealer is asking 23-24K for used 06s. That sounds crazy but with that starting point, I would guess they would not go lower than 21K.

As for all the Murano chatter, look at all the reviews and reliablity reports. The Tribeca runs circles around it even if it is not as flashy looking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
$23+k for an '06? That's nuts! I remember seeing an '09 7 pass nav Ltd with less than 1k for $24k on the showroom in March. It was more than I could afford at the time, but that would have been a steal today! My, how things have changed!

Our friends have an '04 Murano, and I haven't been all that impressed with it, CVT and all. It's not bad, but I like driving my Tribeca!

·
Registered
630 Posts
wow that is good for us!!!! and yeah wow 24k for an 06?? wow! andd i was just saying other cars i know about, i dont really know much about them but they have some better/more options then the B9..still love my B9 ofcourse

1 - 20 of 32 Posts