Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2007 Legacy Valve Body Problem

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Subaru Legacy and I am also experiencing the same problems being discussed in this thread. It started with the Engine Light coming on one morning with the car being stuck in Sport mode. The S light keeps blinking. While driving there would be intermittent rough shifts between 2nd to 3rd gear. Using tiptronic only helps sometimes. A few seconds after a very rough shift the AT Temp light starts flashing and the gear reads -. I usually pull aside, switch off and restart in order to get the AT Temp light off. Most times I need to wait for about 5 minutes before driving again in order to not get the rough shifts immediately.
A scan shows a P1710 code however when checked by my mechanic he identified that the 2nd-3rd solenoid is the source of the problems as the speed sensors were working. I changed fluid and filter in July of this year. I have had no luck with being able to find the solenoid to purchase. A new valve body costs around $9000 TT. I'm therefore trying to explore all options before purchasing a new valve body.

Can anyone please advise on perhaps where I can get the solenoid to purchase or what may be the best fix based on your experiences?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No.2 Turbine Speed Sensor replacement

Hi. Just to give you an update with my own vehicle.

Previously, I had no warning lights or error codes so I was hoping for the best...

Shortly after my post, the warning lights finally came on and the car went into safe mode/limp home mode.

This is indicated by the AT Temp light flashing and the gear selection reads " - ".
Same as your situation. In this mode, the transmission is locked in 3rd to get you to where you need to go.

I checked for error codes and finally P1710 bingo!

If you are getting this code, it is definitely the No.2 turbine speed sensor as explained in my previous post.

It is a known problem part and over time the original seals on the sensor degrade as it is sitting in hot AT fluid. Newer versions of this sensor has improved seals and material protecting the internal components.

I was fortunate enough to find an experienced local Subaru mechanic who was well aware of this problem, but not only that, knew that since earlier this year, the No.2 turbine speed sensor became an available part on its own, and had them in stock.

There were several other cars at his workshop which had recently been repaired for the same problem.

In my case just the speed sensor itself cost NZD$300, a tenth of the cost of a new complete valve body.

Unfortunately to fit the sensor, you have to drain the AT fluid to access the valve body so I ended up having to replace the AT fluid again. That cost NZD$200.
Add couple of hours labour and all up it cost around NZ$700.

The car is back to normal and has been driving fine since.

For reference a brand new valve body retails for JPY 200,000. Approx. US$2000.
I was quoted NZD$3000 by a parts importer in New Zealand.

https://jp-carparts.com/subaru/partlist.php?maker=subaru&car_baseid=F18007&type=B13&cartype=027&fig_id=182

It's effectively the same part for all the different Subaru models with the 5 speed Auto.
So the price is the about the same.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Previously, I had no warning lights or error codes so I was hoping for the best...

Shortly after my post, the warning lights finally came on and the car went into safe mode/limp home mode.

This is indicated by the AT Temp light flashing and the gear selection reads " - ".
Same as your situation. In this mode, the transmission is locked in 3rd to get you to where you need to go.

If you are getting this code, it is definitely the No.2 turbine speed sensor as explained in my previous post.

It is a known problem part and over time the original seals on the sensor degrade as it is sitting in hot AT fluid. Newer versions of this sensor has improved seals and material protecting the internal components.

I was fortunate enough to find an experienced local Subaru mechanic who was well aware of this problem, but not only that, knew that since earlier this year, the No.2 turbine speed sensor became an available part on its own, and had them in stock.

There were several other cars at his workshop which had recently been repaired for the same problem.

In my case just the speed sensor itself cost NZD$300, a tenth of the cost of a new complete valve body.

Unfortunately to fit the sensor, you have to drain the AT fluid to access the valve body so I ended up having to replace the AT fluid again. That cost NZD$200.

https://jp-carparts.com/subaru/partlist.php?maker=subaru&car_baseid=F18007&type=B13&cartype=027&fig_id=182

It's effectively the same part for all the different Subaru models with the 5 speed Auto.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for this. I was about to take my car to get the solenoids checked in the morning so this helps a lot. I will post an update once I get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I hope that helps!
Hello, could you please tell me where did you get parts and car repaired? I'm in Christchurch and facing same issue with my LGT. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another update - not so good for people outside Japan or those who have already paid to fix the problem...

Subaru in Japan is now offering an extended warranty to cover the turbine speed sensor issue. Similar approach as the one they have taken with the CVT transmission issues.

Not a full recall but if your car is diagnosed with the problem, they are carrying out the turbine sensor harness assembly replacement free of charge in Japan for all vehicles covered by the extended warranty period. 5year 100,000km for brand new cars, 9 year unlimited kms for existing cars, if older than 9years, 1 year warranty from the date of the letter.

https://www.subaru.co.jp/press/other/2018_06_21_5992/

It is dated 21st of June.
Covering Japanese market models:
2006-2014 Legacies/Outbacks, 2008-2015 Exigas, 2009-2014 Imprezas, and 2010-2012 Foresters. Total 55,000 cars.
(Note the Tribeca was not sold in Japan)

Here is a guy in Japan who recently had the free replacement work done.

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/700241/car/596743/5019001/note.aspx

He's circled the control unit but the actual fault is with the black sensor at the lower left of the photo.

The fact that Subaru has issued this extended warranty in Japan may allow owners in the markets outside Japan to push to have the same deal!

Regarding the part number itself, sorry once the car was fixed, I never bothered to ask the mechanic but...

The Japanese warranty repair work invoice states SN1861 Harness replacement.
The part reference is HARNESS SUB ASSY

This Russian youtube clip shows the numbers Z6J15-004 on the sensor itself. I had no luck searching this number but it must be the OEM part number - Not the Subaru part number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA7Z7CHyZwA

I will keep digging for the official Subaru part number...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. That’s correct. The part circled in your photo is the turbine speed sensor 2.

This link below is a Russian website but you can see lots of photos of the removal process.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/480790322499027107/

There are also YouTube videos out there.

Once the sensor is accessible, they cut the wires and splice in the new one if you have access to just a replacement sensor.

If you have the sensor with the wiring harness, you remove the old one by unplugging all the connectors and put the new one on.

There seem to be two main variants of the valve bodies. Earlier 700 series and the later 400/600series. Judging by your photo yours is the 700 series type and matches the one in the link above.

The speed sensor on this series has two circular shapes and has a rectangular profile. The other type has one circular shape and a more square profile.

My car has the sensor with the square profile.

I managed to find an aftermarket supplier of the square profile sensor below.

ROLLOUT-SPEED SENSOR-SUBARU 5EAT 5SPEED - LINESOON

Subaru Japan is offering the sensor with the wiring harness.

The official part number for this will turn up sooner or later...
Thank you for the links.

I pulled down my oil pan over the weekend all set to replace the speed sensor using the one from the valve body in the picture I sent earlier. To my surprise, my valve body was actually very different from what I thought it was all along. Please see the picture attached. As such, do you have a procedure for identifying the speed sensor in this valve body?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the links.

I pulled down my oil pan over the weekend all set to replace the speed sensor using the one from the valve body in the picture I sent earlier. To my surprise, my valve body was actually very different from what I thought it was all along. Please see the picture attached. As such, do you have a procedure for identifying the speed sensor in this valve body?
You can also see the full 360degree view of your valve body on this site.

https://akpp.com.ua/gidravlitcheskiy-blok-upravleniya-akpp-5eat

That single sensor on the top is the one that seems to cause all the problems...
I think based on the 360 view from the previous post the sensor is on the other side of the valve body so the valve body must be removed to replace the sensor? Pretty sure that is correct.

Here is another seller of the sensor in the U.S. There is also a picture of the sensor location which would confirm it is on the other side from the filter so removal of the valve body would be necessary.

https://xemodex.com/us/product/turbine-speed-sensor-2-for-subaru/

Youtube video on changing transmission filter also confirms it is on the other side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPbhP7TDARU

Final youtube video on similar transmission and removal of the valve body with sensor on other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4qPLhzZCY

After seeing this, I am understanding why Subaru doesn't want to do this as a separate part. You have the valve body already out and you are racking up the labor hours anyway. Might as well just replace the valve body assembly with new electronics vs. trying to solder the replacement in.

Let me know if I have this wrong. I was contemplating replacing the sensor myself if it was on the outside. I don't have a lift, time, or a backup plan so removing valve bodies and soldering in electronics is probably a step further than I would be willing to go.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm having the same problems as already discussed. Tried changing the fluid the rpms are running higher than usual. Thank you
Hello:
I have same code, at 3750 rpms my speedometer is about 75 mph....
Is this normal.?seems too fast my outback is way slower at same speed.

Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem on a GEN 5 2010 Liberty (Legacy) GT.

Only happens randomly but at very slow speeds & when i back off throttle & then gently accelerate. Transmission seems to neutralise then bangs into gear. As you say its that harsh it feels like someone has run into the back of the car. For me the fault codes dont come up when the transmission bangs. They just come up randomly ever since the problem started.

The manual points to the Turbine speed sensor 2. Did you try changing that first?

And where the heck is this speed sensor? is in external or do i need to take the pan off?
Well, After replacing my valve body P/N: 31705AA662 in 2015 (luckily under warranty).

I now have exactly the same problem AGAIN. I checked the part & price & availability with Subaru Australia & its $4,755 AUD.

luckily I found this on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-turbine-speed-sensor-2-p1710-for-5EAT-Subaru-08-/264399104306

Has anyone tried it before?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello:
I have same code, at 3750 rpms my speedometer is about 75 mph....
Is this normal.?seems too fast my outback is way slower at same speed.

Thanks
Dean
I erased code 1710 and 700,now my RPMs are 2700 at 75mph, which is probaly correct

annoying but car is drivable, i just reset the codes

Dean

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Great service, thank you very much for doing this! Hopefully someone here can get one and leave feedback that it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I hope that helps!
Hey T3T, fellow Kiwi here with the P1710 issue. Who did the repair work for you? In Auckland by any chance? I've been quoted ~ $1200 by Auckland Automatics.

Cheers,
Rhys

21 - 39 of 39 Posts