Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2006 Tribeca has been giving VDC warning lights for a few weeks. Initially this was just the traction control and ABS warning lights plus of course Err SS in the trip meter display. It would come and go and I noticed that the Left rear wheel arch was rubbing against the tire at the back. My wife normal drives the car and must have damaged this when reversing. I was able to straighten this out with long lever. The lights went out and I thought that the problem was fixed. The lights came back about 800 miles later and this time stayed on with the brake light also on occasionally. At that point I read the chassis codes (according to Subaru Outback forum). No P codes but C0261,C0262 and C0281. At that stage the car drove normally.

Some days later, the battery went flat (interior light left on) but as the battery was old, I replaced it. Following the new battery installation, we now have P0500 (vehicle speed sensor) and it won't go above 25 mph. The cooling fans run all the time. I understand that this all comes with the P0500 code ('limp home mode'). Read the chassis codes again: this time C0251, C0261 and C0281.

Now I cannot find any of these C codes in the FSM - C codes stop at C0074 or so. I suspect a wheel ABS sensor or maybe a wheel bearing but really not sure. I have ordered a VAGcom cable so that I can use FreeSSM to allow real time sensor interrogation.

Any ideas?

D.

·
Registered
55 Posts
engine-trouble-code.com

Reason For P0500 Code
The reason of P0500 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Fuel Composition Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
check to verify the operation of the VCT solenoid. You're looking for a sticking or stuck VCt solenoid valve caused by contamination. Refer to vehicle specific repair manual to perform component tests for the VCT unit

Reason For C0251 Code
The reason of C0251 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Low.

Reason For P0261 Code
The reason of P0261 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Low.

Reason For P0574 Code
The reason of P0574 OBD-II Engine Trouble Code is Fuel Composition Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Clutch Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

the MAF and AAT are the same unit

~120 at your local autoparts store

If you have a reader that will give you run time check your IAT -40 means the sensor is shot OR the cable

else you will need a some one with a true diagnostic machine to read solenoid function
it may need to be replaced

·
Registered
62 Posts
2006 Tribeca B9.

started out with ABS and ER SS code on the dash/odometer. intermittent. for a month or so.

Then I replaced the front axles and started immediately getting the P0500 Check code intermittent. In addition to the ABS and ER SS

Then the P0500 was constant, came right back on after reset.

Tranny would shift oddly and low power on hills. limp mode??

Went to Subaru dealer. They found a broken ABS sensor in the Left Front. Attributed damage to new axle install but I think it had been going on for months and finally broke on the install.

They replaced the axle (again) and sensor and also did a TCM update (Transmission Control Module).

All is well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts