Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the obd connector is type 2 AND the cabling is correct you should be able to use it
If not there are some cheap (sub $20 Coworker has this one) bluetooth ones on amazon. They require a phone app but work decent.

I think the 06 , 07 use ISO 14230 KWP2000
The rest should use ISO 15765 CAN

·
Registered
184 Posts
Or you can use a wireless OBD adapter with a phone app. I have an ELM327 type adapter and use an app called ‘Four stroke’ which is excellent. Only downside is that you cannot log data with this. For logging data, best to use ROM raider (with VAGcom cable).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Romraider will give you all you need from a standard OBD2 cable. You don't need the tactrix cable unless you are programming the ECU.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So been insane busy so havent had time to set up a logger yet. But. checked the codes again and now I am only getting the P0420. The P0137 has now been fixed by the new O2 sensor and removal of the extension I assume. Will work on logging data this weekend when I have more time. Seems like more and more its looking like the cat is bad.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think that the P0420 code only comes from data from the rear sensor so swapping out the AFR sensor won’t help. Bad cat, electrical fault or a misfire/fuelling issue would be my best guess at the moment. Let’s hope that it’s not the last one since that’ll be expensive to fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It could very well be a product of the misfires I was chasing earlier. First bought the car and had misfire cylinder 2,3 and 4. Swapped plugs and they were horrific. Got misfire again on cylinders 2 and 3. put 6 new coils in and havent had misfire again. So thinking it gummed everything up. Downstream O2 was sooty and had an extension on it. New O2 has remained clean and now no P0137 code since removing the extension. Leads me to believe the misfire condition has screwed the cat. No idea how long PO ran with misfire codes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, what you’re suggesting might be correct. In which case, both cats could be defective since the misfires were on both sides. The P0420 code doesn’t tell you which side is bad. Still strongly recommend logging fuel trims before replacing cats.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just to update, both cats were indeed bad. Replaced passenger side first as it was the one which had the bad rear O2 sensor. Upon inspection, it was pretty gummed up. Code came back. Ran a live data and found voltage was all over the place on rear O2 sensor on drivers side. Swapped sensor with the new one installed on passenger side. Voltage was still crazy. Replaced cat on drivers side and have now ran without the engine light coming back on. Voltage is now the same on both rear O2 sensors. Appreciate all the help. Still chasing a few things on this car so will likely be posting another hesitation issue shortly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Still chasing a few things on this car so will likely be posting another hesitation issue shortly.
This may be the root cause of the bad converters. I'd track that down sooner rather than later so the new converters aren't degraded due to the poor running.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What Cats did you purchase? I am worried that aftermarket ones arent going to cut it, meaning i will install them, but they wont clear the code. I am worried OEM cost way to much for a car that is near end of life..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I used a place called Calnorth in Ontario Canada. They make the pipe with converter themselves. About $400 per side or right around there. Only issue is passenger side was about an inch shorter than original which cause the drivers to seem a bit long when I replaced it. Little adjustment on the brackets and it all fit fine. Make sure to buy a new crush gasket as well. But, I called and asked if they would honour the Ebay price as it was cinsiderably cheaper than their website price. Got them to also include the manifold gaskets as well. So all around good deal. Have not had an engine light since.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts