Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Looks like you changed the knock sensor on the wrong side. You should have changed Bank 1, or the passenger's side...

"On Subarus in the USA, Bank 2 is the driver's side (left side as you sit in the car). This appears to be the reverse of most other cars, where Bank 1 is on the left.

The link below provides a service manual download with a lot of useful troublshooting info on the H6 engine ECM codes.

http://www.subaru-car.ru/leg1/leg1_sec1_11-2.pdf

Using info in this document, I was able to confirm that I'd replaced the wrong side when I got a P0051 ECM code for Bank 2, Sensor 1. Once I corrected the error, and cleared the code, my CEL has stayed off."

·
Registered
6 Posts
The initial code referred to the drivers side sensor and although I did not ask my tech for the exact code, "she" (fricking awesome mechanic) told me it was the same code.
I'm basically grabin at straws because I don't want to spend 30 minutes removing the manifold (not really that hard) its just knowing that some of the clamps, hoses, or connectors will have to be replaced when I do it.... tacking on more time.

I'm just gunna have to bite the bullet next week and get er done. I'm thinkin bout taking lot of pictures and maybe some video, just to pass along the do's and don't of Tribeca knock sensor replacement and trouble shooting.

Thanks for lettin me vent brau, have a great weekend.

Sincerely,

David McGillis

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ideally you diagnose this, test the wiring? replacing a sensor without a code is likely to not help.

If I had to remove an intake manifold to get to it and still can’t diagnose it I’d be tempted to see if I could score a spare intake manifold to swap out the entire manifold and wiring harness while I’m doing it.

At least for EJs they’re cheap and tedious visible but Tribeca is less common

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused:

P0328:
"Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0328
Copyright OBD-Codes.com"

Bank 1 is passenger side.

Is the code not P0328, but rather P0333?

You need to get a code reader (about $20 on amazon) and verify actual code.

P0328 = Passenger side knock sensor voltage high
P0333 = Drivers side knock sensor voltage high

There are of course many more codes associated with the knock sensor...

Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
BTW, removing the instake manifold is not the worst thing in the world. I am not sure about the 06 with the 3.0L but the 3.6L you just have to remember to disconnect the EGR Hose. You can disconnect the fuel hoses and leave them attached to the underside of the intake or disconnect them from the intake and leave them on the fuel rails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guys I got same problem as OP (check engine + traction control + cruise blink). Asked auto shop and was quoted $500.

Like to try myself by buying the knock sensor from Autozone and install it.

Can anyone give some photos or video (youtube) links to show the knock sensor position and installation process of Tribeca?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
you should invest your time and effort in downloading FSM.
Thanks. I had the complete SM but found really hard to locate this section.

Also unplug all the pipes make me nervous, specially the coolant...

I heard a way no need to remove the intake manifold, like this: replace_knock_sensor_wo_removing_manifold
Can anyone confirm it's doable?

Thanks,

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 2009 Subaru Tribeca Limited a month ago and it has 166k miles on her. Since I have gotten the vehicle about every 2-300 miles this check engine light comes on for the knock sensor. I can clear it with the code reader and it usually goes away for the next few hundred miles and comes back again.

The car runs great.. especially since I just cleaned the throttle body and replaced spark plugs.

When this code comes on it puts the car into some kind of limp mode.. disabling cruise control and traction control. Its very annoying. I see in the records that the previous owner took it in to Subaru to have the sensors looked at and they said sensor was fine and sent it back out. Clearly something is wrong.

Tonight I look at the sensors.. there are 2 on the 3.6L on top of the engine under the throttle body. The one on the passenger side isn't that bad to get to but the other one looks nearly impossible.

I got an $8 sensor off of amazon and replaced the passenger one.. will let you know if it changes anything. Also the code always shows up twice in my scanner... does that mean its both sensors?? Or something else?

Oh and when I clear the code next time I go to start the car it doesn't want to start on the first or second try.. every time.. so weird. Makes my car sound like ****!

BTW this car is sweeeeet.. other than this code.. shes a beast :D

UPDATE ON POST #11
Could you please detail how did you replace the passenger side knock sensor (sorry it's 5 years ago per your OP), cotz my exact 09 Tribeca got the same code (p0328) as yours.
Have you removed any parts to expose the #1 Knock Sensor bolt? Or used any special tool to reach the bolt?
Thanks.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts