Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering where to start on these codes. I also on occasion get the bank 1,3,5 as well but these codes havent really come back for at least 2 Months. I was gonna wait til the spring or warmer weather but I am annoyed by constantly resetting the check engine light. The lights that come on are check engine, the cruise control (which becomes unusable) and the traction control(unusable). When I reset the lights, it comes back at varying intervals.
The car seems to studder while driving slowly and the codes seems to come on at this time. The studder is always in slow take off but the codes don't always come on. I have looked up thru the search but seem to end abruptly with no results. Either the people sell the car, or just only come on here to get help, or just don't think putting what helped them will help others (You know those out for themself kinda people).
Anyway, what is the first step one would take? The oil changes are done every 5000 using 5w30 full synthetic if that helps. Going on 1000 miles now so it was just done.
I understand p0016 is the Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation location bank 1sensor A
And p0018 is
Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation
Location bank 2 sensor A
From what I have read, these are rare to go together.
The plugs were put in new when the engine was replaced last yr with a jdm engine. I have always felt that slow speed stuttering but it seems like it's a bit more prominent now. Once I start getting over the slower speeds it goes away.
Also more recently the car seems to get a jolt of speed but quickly goes back to the slow studder again. The last part seems to been happening more often but not all the time. I just want to get to the bottom before doing anymore harm. Thx

·
Registered
170 Posts
It could be lot of things going wrong with your engine, for example timing advance system not working properly. You need find diagnostician which will be able to check all systems and determine what needs to be done to fix you engine. Since you are from PA, why don't you contact with this guy, I'm pretty sure he will be able to fix your car and hopeful he will make video during this repair.
https://www.youtube.com/user/motoYam82/about

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be lot of things going wrong with your engine, for example timing advance system not working properly. You need find diagnostician which will be able to check all systems and determine what needs to be done to fix you engine. Since you are from PA, why don't you contact with this guy, I'm pretty sure he will be able to fix your car and hopeful he will make video during this repair.
https://www.youtube.com/user/motoYam82/about
I appreciate the direction you are sending me however , state College is on the other side of the state. I'm near Philadelphia.
I do understand there is a lot that can be an issue here hence why I plan on not tackling this myself. Speaking of tackling did u watch the Eagles beat up the Vikings. Lol. So excited.
Anyway I went out to check my fluids today. Trans a little low but not too bad but I noticed when I started it up I hear a noise coming from the front end and no fans came on. Car idles fine and the thermostat stayed at mid temps during a 30 min drive. From what I've read the fans should come on and stay on all the time. Is this true or did I misread. I'm sure I misread. I've never heard of a car where the fans just stayed on. That would be odd but I don't put anything around this odd vehicle. Thx

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Likely an oil pressure issue. One suggestion, use subaru branded oil filter. Might help...

From manual (same on both sides):

Is the AVCS system operating
angle approx. 0 deg., and oil
flow control solenoid valve duty
output approx. 10%?

yes:
Check the following
item and repair
or replace if necessary.
• Engine oil
(amount, dirt)
• Oil pipe (clog)
• Oil flow control
solenoid
valve (clog or
dirt of oil routing,
setting of
spring, clog of
valve)
• Intake camshaft
(dirt, damage
of
camshaft)
• Timing chain
(matching of
timing mark)

no:
temporary malfunction.
Perform
the following, and
clean the oil routing.
Replace the
engine oil and idle
the engine for 5
minutes, and then
replace the oil filter
and engine oil.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Likely an oil pressure issue. One suggestion, use subaru branded oil filter. Might help...

From manual (same on both sides):

Is the AVCS system operating
angle approx. 0 deg., and oil
flow control solenoid valve duty
output approx. 10%?

yes:
Check the following
item and repair
or replace if necessary.
• Engine oil
(amount, dirt)
• Oil pipe (clog)
• Oil flow control
solenoid
valve (clog or
dirt of oil routing,
setting of
spring, clog of
valve)
• Intake camshaft
(dirt, damage
of
camshaft)
• Timing chain
(matching of
timing mark)

no:
temporary malfunction.
Perform
the following, and
clean the oil routing.
Replace the
engine oil and idle
the engine for 5
minutes, and then
replace the oil filter
and engine oil.
So I understand changing the oil and using a subaru filter. I did see some oil leaking from the filter when the mechanic lifted the car. He tightened it by hand. Could that be an issue with p0016?
Also I see some wobbling on the lower pulley. It doesn't happen all the time but on occasion is acts up. I asked the mechanic to check it out. Car is getting inspected today so it's a good time to check the underneath. I'll report back.
Left control arm bushing is setting me back a few hundred. Looks like this is something I could have done myself to save money but it needs to pass inspection and after my surgery I can't get under the vehicle to well. All bad timing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I would consider changing: Oil flow control solenoid valve

I believe I've seen people resolve this issue by doing that. Unfortunately I haven't been sucessful finding the post that corroborates my statement.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I said that I would consider it if it was me.

Another option is to pull and clean the solenoid.

$70 is worth trying, even just to save the hassle of one trip to the dealer.

But I'll agree, throwing parts at it isn't a great idea, but sometimes an educated guess is worth trying.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe the solonoid was cleaned out. There is a rattling coming from the engine which I believe is the chain. It's going in the shop to get looked at. Hopefully a new chain will solve this issue.
If it's the chain that needs to be replaced who thinks I should replace the water pump ?
Anything else they would change?

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The codes being thrown on the regular now is p0026 and p0028. I'm assuming this is the real codes being thrown by the timing chain. But they read as solonoid issues. P0026 and p0028 Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance bank 1 and bank 2.

I clear these and they come right back.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I would not assume timing chain right off the bat. I would assume low oil pressure is most likely cause. Might be timing chain, but that would be rare.

Anyway, the shop will get you taken care of since the issue is recurring!

I wouldn't touch the water pump unless it is weeping. However, you could have them do it as long as they warranty the work.

Tom

·
Banned
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not assume timing chain right off the bat. I would assume low oil pressure is most likely cause. Might be timing chain, but that would be rare.

Anyway, the shop will get you taken care of since the issue is recurring!

I wouldn't touch the water pump unless it is weeping. However, you could have them do it as long as they warranty the work.

Tom
Thx Tom.
Would the oil pressure make the belt cling and go off balance and make sounds? I'm sure it would throw codes all the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was this ever resolved. I have the same issue in a 06 tribeca. Going to do a motor flush and then an oil change with OEM filter and 5w 30 synthetic Subaru oil. Also going to pull the vvt solenoids and clean them. Anything else I should be looking for?

·
Registered
171 Posts
1) there is no vvt in Subaru engines. vvt is toyota/honda/whatever. Subarus have AVCS.
2) throw out mesh filters for avcs solenoids. (if that hasn't been done before you).
3) use some logging/scantools(vag kkl cable, elm327(v1.5, not 2.x), openport). look for unusual values for sensors or high numbers in adaptations - all of that can point you in the direction of issues root.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts