Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one new to this and very bad at spelling and always have a disagreement with the smell chucked so please excuse any mistakes.

Got my 08 Tribeca back in April as needed something bigger than my 07 WRX estate for work and also that has its own engine problems.

All fine until about 4 weeks ago when i noticed some water under front of car of right through it was one of the top hoses leaking on to rad but turned out to be rad split on plastic between the 2 hoses.

Did use it for a week topping up water as it needed it until problem was found but never overheated it, took nearly a week to get new rad all fine to fit.

Whent to work on the Monday, all fine on drive in to town (12 miles 20/40mph traffic) and around London for a few hours but on way out at steady 40mph (avaeridge speed cameras for all of my jerney in and out of London now) temprteure whent up 2 bars above normal and had to put about 2lts of water in when it had cooled down at home.
Graygrf is online now Report Post

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To continue spent the next few days trying various ways to get air out but always to same problem.
always needs between 2 and 3 lts of water to fill up each day and seams to be coming out of catch/overflow tank.
Holds 15psi when cold and testing via rad cap, shows going up to 16psi with car running and pressure gauge on heater hose vent on bulkhead.
Lots of bubbles when run at over 2000 rpm with funnel in place of rad cap and eventually pushes loads of coolant out

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have replaced rad cap and thermostat same result tried to do compression and leak down test but with location of plugs that seams impossible.
Thinking head gaskets (must have left it to close to WRX and its court it from that !) and cheapest way looks like a £1600/1700 JDM engine.

Any suggestions ???????????????

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for confirming , think I will pull engine out then do leak down test before hitting button to order second hand engine.
Any one think I should do anything to second hand engine before fitting it ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Replace serpentine pulley bearings - $10 each, only takes a few minutes, and they fail very regularly.

Oil cooler gasket and thermostat - cheap and easy to do now and you have to drain the coolant to get to them so might as well do them now before you top it off with new coolant.

Plugs are super easy with the engine out. Check, maybe they'll be new, but I doubt it.

Valve cover gaskets - nice to get them done due to access reasons like the plugs but I haven't seen the JDM engines leak soon after install so not a big deal if you don't want to spend the cash.

·
Administrator
627 Posts
What was the outcome?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts