Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I test cranked it a few hours later, no troubles at all. So i stopped the engine, added more coolant and it wasn't much it actually filled up. So just barely over a half gallon total of coolant.

I tested cranked it with it idling a couple minutes with the radiator cap off.

Every 7 seconds a bubble would come up through the fill hole.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I unfortunately have the SAME Tribeca with the 3.0 h 6 . If you place a semi tall funnel (one that sticks up about 4-6" above the radiator) in place of your radiator cap,
Fill it with water or antifreeze. Crank the engine, quickly rev the engine to 4000 rpms repeatedly while watching the funnel...In my case It was BLOWING water out of the funnel aka VERY BLOWN head gasket. I was told this is a beast of a job to repair....For me at least it's been a MONSTER....I've never seen sooooo many timing cover bolts and SOOOOO many different lengths scattered in different places.Its do-able if you have about $700 bucks ,tools and time. GOOD Luck!

AS FOR the blue block tester.....it works great at the exhaust pipe but I could not get it to work for this engine , nor did it work for my brother who had an outback with the same issue......

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Bubble every 7 seconds sounds like head gasket, but make sure you have completely purged the system since you were very low on coolant.

Also, you lost that coolant somewhere. Check the sides of the radiator for white crust. Mine was leaking there, so much that I had wet spots under car after stopping after long drives (> 1 hr).

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Me again. Finally got a blue block tester. Started procedures, and noticed the coolant is still filled to the brim. I cranked it with the radiator cap off for a while... and no bubbles at all. So at this point I'm thinking I'm not going to waste the blue test if there's no air coming up to test with. Also my wife said there's been no overheating trouble.
So maybe between the added coolant, replacing the dumb wheels a while back, swapping a coil wire with the next cylinder's... it's fixed!? Ha. Something is not adding up, but tight now there are no troubles.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Fairly common for it to come and go. No idea why.

But finger's crossed!

PS Lots of false negatives with the exhaust gas tester. Looking for a steady stream of bubbles is the most conclusive test!

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
My beloved 2006 B9 had the same symptoms. We followed the same repair path up through replacing the radiator and cooling system as we addressed each symptom. All wasted. It was the head gasket all along and it popped a few hundred miles later. Had to junk it because it was time (200k miles). Don’t make my mistake and spend any more money. I ended up donating it to local NPR and with the tax write off I broke even vs a trade in but I wish I had that repairs money back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the same kinda issues right now - loss of coolant (about 1/2gal after my last 50miles trip (overflow container full to the brim, refilling through the rad cap when cooled down), then of course when coolant lost, slight overheat on stopping (like 2 marks over normal), which cools down to normal again after revving/driving on, no apparent leaks can be found. Trying to burp it without having a burp funnel or anything I noticed bubbles in the rad refiller, but only when hot, like its boiling, changed thermostat, rad cap seals were def. bad, exchanged that one, mechanic says water pump next. Just wondering if water pumps go bad (?)

·
Registered
70 Posts
This happened to me today.
Driving to Lowes, going through a heatwave here in Toronto, and sitting at a traffic light and just seeing the engine temp climb and climb. Last year around the same time the radiator sprung a leak and had that replaced. Did the leak test back then also to double check if it was the HG (came back negative, but I"m a noob). Coolant was not low, but I added extra a backup. I hate driving a car when I'm worried if I'll get there or not. Especially after ordering parts for other non-related jobs (torque converter, etc)..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts