Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right. Call me anal or whatever, but are you annoyed how Subaru tethered the gas cap to the gas door? When the station attendent turns off the gas cap, it hangs there and can potentially scuff/ scrape the clear coat on the side of the car. It won't happen in a few instances, but it will happen over time.

You can see it on other cars. My fathers Buick Century had the cap tethered and over time, it marred the clear coat. It's a fairly easy fix, but I just can't stand it.

Luckily the local Shell station attendants actually care and don't let it swing or hit the paint. They gently guide it down. I'm contemplating about snipping the tether so they have to take off the cap and put it on the pump. Anyone else find it annoying or is it just me? :eek2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
My STi has the same issue (gas cap hits the paint), but I've just let it drop/swing every time I fill up (once a week for the last 3+ years) and it's yet to make a mark. If you've seen it happen on other cars, I can understand your concern, but I don't see a need to worry necessarily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
No, I don't think it's a big issue while I wish Subaru fixes it soon. Good thing we still have self-service gas stations around here ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
klaymon said:
My STi has the same issue (gas cap hits the paint), but I've just let it drop/swing every time I fill up (once a week for the last 3+ years) and it's yet to make a mark. If you've seen it happen on other cars, I can understand your concern, but I don't see a need to worry necessarily.
Interesting how you haven't had any issues. Good to hear. I guess I'll let it go for a while and see what happens. I'm just a weird perfectionist which is good and sometimes really bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Interesting how you haven't had any issues. Good to hear. I guess I'll let it go for a while and see what happens. I'm just a weird perfectionist which is good and sometimes really bad.
i was a professional detailer for Mercedes and BMW for 3 years while i owned my 04 WRX. i was super anal about how my car looked. i cleaned it and waxed it everyweek, and any tiny scratch was buffed out immediatly. but i never had a single scratch from my gas cap hitting the paint for the 3 years i owned it before i bought the Tribeca. i wouldnt worry too much about the cap scratching the paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
boostnscooby said:
i was a professional detailer for Mercedes and BMW for 3 years while i owned my 04 WRX. i was super anal about how my car looked. i cleaned it and waxed it everyweek, and any tiny scratch was buffed out immediatly. but i never had a single scratch from my gas cap hitting the paint for the 3 years i owned it before i bought the Tribeca. i wouldnt worry too much about the cap scratching the paint.
Thanks for the reassurance. Hey since you are a pro in detailing; Questions. I have a Porter Cable orbital buffer and a the whole gambit of detailing array from Meguiars. I've detailed my Civics and able to get a lot of minor scratches out, but some remain. I heard that Hondas have a tough clear coat. Have you heard that before?

I plan do to a big detail job on the B9 before winter. Like clay bar, paint cleaner and then wax. There are some minor scratches (nothing that catches your finger nail) that I want to buff out. Do you happen to know if Subaru's have a tough clear coat to work on?

Advice welcome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I concurr - my LGT is two years old and yet there are no scratches around tank lead. Hopefully it will stay that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Interesting MM. I actually was concerned about these 2 things in particular as recent as yesterday. What to do to make sure that the gas cap doesnt damage the side, and details on detailing. Wonder if its the Jersey water?

I'm looking forward to the answer on detailing. Its about time for me to do a thorough outside on mine. I've always heard great reviews on Zainos. Wish I had a good person around here that will take good care of it, and have great attention to detail. The par for excellence around here that I've found are a double bogey in my cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I concurr - my LGT is two years old and yet there are no scratches around tank lead. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Glad to hear that no Subie owners are having issues.

I'm looking forward to the answer on detailing. Its about time for me to do a thorough outside on mine. I've always heard great reviews on Zainos. Wish I had a good person around here that will take good care of it, and have great attention to detail. The par for excellence around here that I've found are a double bogey in my cards.
I have the full gambit of Meguiars products and they worked very well on our Civics. I'm definitly going to spend at least 8 hours just working on the B9. Since this is our first SUV, how much attention do you guys give to the roof since now one even sees it? I figure I'd just give it a basic wax and skip the clay bar and paint cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Tethered Gas Cap

On the 2008 I hang the tether line over the locking tab located on the edge of gas door when open. There is a small indent to drape the tether line in. The cap itself then rests on the inside of the open gas door edge and not the body of car. I suspect it is the same on the 2006/2007. Hope this is helpful:)

George B.
2008 Limited
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GeorgeB280 said:
On the 2008 I hang the tether line over the locking tab located on the edge of gas door when open. There is a small indent to drape the tether line in. The cap itself then rests on the inside of the open gas door edge and not the body of car. I suspect it is the same on the 2006/2007. Hope this is helpful:)

George B.
2008 Limited
Interesting. I'll have to take a look. In NJ, we're not allowed to pump our own gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Interesting. I'll have to take a look. In NJ, we're not allowed to pump our own gas.
this was always driving me crazy. stupid legislation if you ask me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Thanks for the reassurance. Hey since you are a pro in detailing; Questions. I have a Porter Cable orbital buffer and a the whole gambit of detailing array from Meguiars. I've detailed my Civics and able to get a lot of minor scratches out, but some remain. I heard that Hondas have a tough clear coat. Have you heard that before?

I plan do to a big detail job on the B9 before winter. Like clay bar, paint cleaner and then wax. There are some minor scratches (nothing that catches your finger nail) that I want to buff out. Do you happen to know if Subaru's have a tough clear coat to work on?

Advice welcome
sorry it took so long to write back. to answer your question, hondas have a slightly softer clear coat than subarus. hondas buff out easier, but also scratch easier than a subaru. subaru's clear coat is a little harder to work with but it looks better longer if you keep up with it. for your big winter detail, i would clay bar first and then buff. the clay bar gets out all of the contaminates and crud you cant see from the paint. when you clay bar, use a good amount of spray-on liquid wax so the clay bar doesnt stick to the paint. be sure to remove the remaining liquid with a soft towel. after you buff, you can use the wax to pick up the oil left behind from the buffing compound. it leaves the paint a little slicker. as for the roof, i would clay bar it and wax it. it sees the most sun exposure and abuse from the elements as the hood. sure nobody really looks at it but its not called detailing for nothing. you could also put wax on all your windows. this will prevent acid rain spots from forming. since you live in NJ, there is probably a lot of acid rain from the factories. if anyone has any detailing questions feel free to ask. i'll give you any tips i can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Is claying pretty standard in detail shops nowadays?

boost, do you have preference on products, or is it pretty much how well you use it that makes the difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after you buff, you can use the wax to pick up the oil left behind from the buffing compound. it leaves the paint a little slicker.
After I use the cleaning compound, it leaves a bit of haze that I usually wipe off prior to applying wax. Are you staying just apply the wax OVER the compound haze? Then remove the wax after it hazes? I've never heard that before. Does it really work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Magic Marker said:
When the station attendent turns off the gas cap, it hangs there and can potentially scuff/ scrape the clear coat on the side of the car.

Luckily the local Shell station attendants actually care and don't let it swing or hit the paint. They gently guide it down. I'm contemplating about snipping the tether so they have to take off the cap and put it on the pump. Anyone else find it annoying or is it just me? :eek2:
Get out and fill it yourself you spoiled lazyass!!! :lol:

There's legislation on self serve in your area seriously?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HB_Dad said:
Get out and fill it yourself you spoiled lazyass!!! :lol:

There's legislation on self serve in your area seriously?
Yeah, seriously. We're not allowed to pump our own gas in NJ. One time I finished off the fill, put the pump away and the owner scolded me like I was 10 years old.

Whenever I drive through another state and have to fill up, I don't mind pumping myself. I have no idea why we can't do it ourselves in NJ, but it's ok in NY?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
njjuliano said:
Is claying pretty standard in detail shops nowadays?

boost, do you have preference on products, or is it pretty much how well you use it that makes the difference?
yeah it is. it is a quick way to get the paint free from those little ruff spots you feel without buffing. buffing is mostly just to get rid of scratches. in the shop we used commercial products not available to the public but i like to use meguiars products. they have just about everything you need and they're stuff is very good quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Magic Marker said:
After I use the cleaning compound, it leaves a bit of haze that I usually wipe off prior to applying wax. Are you staying just apply the wax OVER the compound haze? Then remove the wax after it hazes? I've never heard that before. Does it really work?
we did that in the shop on light colored cars. since you have a slightly darker car, i'd wipe off the compound haze then apply the wax. just dont use the same microfiber towel to wipe off the compound haze and the wax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I just picked up an 08 tribeca and the small gas cap door actually has a small v ledge for the wire to hang on so the cap doesn't hit the vehicle. In VA, i use self-service and noticed the v early on.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top