Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Aero roof rack kit. Part # E361SXA000...

I bought this from subaruparts4u.com after dealing with poorly trained primates at my local shop that couldn't even provide a copy of the install sheet yet alone know which item I needed.:rolleyes:

Anyone else have experience with this kit? I have a question.

It comes with what I originally thougth we just protective pieces that kept it from poking through the box...turns out they are intened to weatherproof the area between the roof and the bottom of the rack.

I installed the rack without them first...then with the front with out the pads and the rear with...its obvious that these are weatherproofing...

or did subaru actually make a prodcut with such sloppy tolerances?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'd have to look, but I'm sure there are "pads" the go in between the rack base and the roof line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magic Marker said:
I'd have to look, but I'm sure there are "pads" the go in between the rack base and the roof line.
Thanks, but save your time...there are. Just heard from vendor, and they are sending the pads and hooked me up with free shipping on my next order...which will probably be an insane amount of OEM filters, washers, and fluids! :tup: :tup: :tup: :D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
njjuliano said:
I'm in the midst of getting one and installing. Any pitfalls that I should pay attention to?
Not really. Very simple. 8 screws and you are done. I'm going the extra mile and putting some blue loc-tite on the screws.

I guess the only pitfall would be make sure you have all 4 pads in the box.

Where are you ordering it from? Cheapest price I found was at subaruparts4u.com

I attached the install sheet I got from subaruparts4u.com to show you what all it takes.:tup:

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yep, looked everywhere on line, including subaruparts4u. Now which pads are your referring? I tried to see from the install instructions which pads, but I dont see them there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
njjuliano said:
Yep, looked everywhere on line, including subaruparts4u. Now which pads are your referring? I tried to see from the install instructions which pads, but I dont see them there.
Exactly. It doesn't mention them. Doesn't show them on the install sheet. Doesn't tell you to 'discard' anything. Doesn't indicate anything about them other than you'll notice the towers look different on the bottom without them then they do in the little inset circle diagram in step 3 and 7.

I thought they were just to protect it in shipping until I put them on and noticed a horrible gap. Sure enough- they are quite necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
njjuliano said:
**UPDATE**

Got pad in mail, put racks on. Took maybe 15 minutes, mainly becuase I was familiar with all the parts and layout. Easy squeezy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was thinking about taking the rack off of my Tribeca. Does anyone have the part numbers for the covers that are removed before the rack is installed, or does anyone have a set they don't want?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did anyone notice if any of the rails seem loose? My rear right side seems loose. I found two screws underneath the rails that don't seem as tight as the others. I tried using a torx bit to tighten it up but it still isn't as tight and the rail rocks slightly on that side. The front side is tight and doesn't wobble.

Any advice?

·
Registered
106 Posts
On one side of each rail, there are two torx screws that are screwed through elongated holes and into the posts, producing a very slight amount of left-right play even when the screws are tight. I think the factory intended this. If your rack moves around more than this, it's probably loose somewhere.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hmm..only that side is loose. The other 3 sides don't move at all. Do other folks here w/ the roof rack have some play in their racks?
I'm also trying to install my Yakima buttondown 6 ski racks. I got the mighty mount 2V sized mount adapters, but they seem to barely fit on the racks. Does anyone know what size they used? Yakima does sell Universal mounts, but I'd like to avoid those if possible if there is a size that would fit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
ymibhdu said:
I was thinking about taking the rack off of my Tribeca. Does anyone have the part numbers for the covers that are removed before the rack is installed, or does anyone have a set they don't want?
Hey - we just found out we're having a kid, and we DESPERATELY need roof racks, as we need to get a top-mount cargo box thinger.

If you can find a way to get me those racks, I can find a way to get you my covers :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
jimbo said:
Hey - we just found out we're having a kid, and we DESPERATELY need roof racks, as we need to get a top-mount cargo box thinger.

If you can find a way to get me those racks, I can find a way to get you my covers :)
You got PM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What does the OEM roof rack do to gas mileage?
I mean just the rack without any additional crossbars or containers?

It looks pretty simple to install. Is it better to put it on when you need it and remove it when you're not using it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just went from a no-rack, naked roof setup to a rack and cargo carrier setup. You could, in theory, put the racks on only when you want it, but I would NOT advise it.

The rack and cargo carrier dropped my overall average MPG by 1.5. That's it.

The reason I wouldn't advise putting the racks on/taking them off is because you have to thread the bolts into receivers actually IN the roof. If you botch one of those threads in the roof, you're then rackless forever. Furthermore, the plastic clips that cover the rack bolt receivers are very easy to break. Neither piece is designed for repeat access.

IMHO, put the racks on and leave 'em. They won't affect your MPG in any meaningful way. Keep in mind that my 1.5 MPG loss is with the bigass cargo carrier AND the racks. I pulled the carrier off when I got back, and my mileage went back to normal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's the RIGHT answer. I try, quite unsuccessful, to not worry about mileage.
1.5 MPG difference is significant for everyday driving...but not for a trip. I think I'll get a set of roof racks and cargo carrier....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts