Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 subaru tribeca that has been leaking oil since being hit about a week ago (i've been making sure to top it up ever since i noticed). I was on my way to get it checked out today and all the sudden my oil light came on then all my lights came on and my steering wheel seized up. I immediately stopped my car and let it sit for a bit, put 4 quarts of oil in it and it still wasn't turning over. I tried jumping it as well to make sure it wasn't the battery dying on me and still won't start. I'm not getting any whining or screeching from the engine it just sounds like clicking. Is my engine totally shot? It didn't seem like I had any major overheating, my gauge didn't shoot up and there was no gnarly smell or smoke. One weird thing was that when I went to pit oil in I noticed some teeth looking things in the pipe (see pic) that I really never remember noticing before (and yes i'm sure i was putting oil in the right place) anyone know what that could be? Any suggestions on what could be happening/what to do would be super appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
those teeth are always there.
where was the car hit? where was oil leaking from?
When it died how much oil was in it, did you check? Adding 4 quarts is huge, empty it only takes 6.5ish so that means you were running on 2.5 quarts?

if I were to guess, the engine is seized, from your description, no smoke, no bad idling etc I would assume it was oil starved. This is only a guess.

Take it to a shop, thats about all the advice i can give you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, just making sure. I was hit from behind, which I know doesn't exactly mean the leak came from the accident, it just started leaking literally the morning after and I've never had issues with a leak before. I had put two courts in two days before so that's why I wasn't as concerned but after the car had died and I checked it was bone dry and I ended up having to even about a court and a half more after the initial four courts because it still was around low. The leak is coming out right around the front right wheel of that description helps at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
from all that it sounds like the engine seized due to oil starvation, but any shop should be able to give a proper diagnosis.
Right front is where the oil filter is,
As crazy as it sounds but getting rear ended may have caused this, as if the hits was into the exhaust that may have caused thing to move in the engine bay. your exhaust although it has some flexibility but its just a really long pipe bolted to the heads of the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts