Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could probably find this with a google search, but I figured this was easier.

Whats the oil capacity on an 07 tribeca?

Whats the manufacturer's recommended weight?

Any "issues" I should know about regarding an oil change, or is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Peaty said:
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6167

info there. The oil weight is right on the oil cap :) Says 5W-30, I use that in the winter and then switch to 10W30 in the summer myself. I've also been finding like others that it's taking 6.5 quarts to get to the full line.
I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to an oil change. Its my gf's Subie so she rather have the dealer do all the maintenance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm lazy too...and there happens to be a Valvoline Instant Oil Change on the same block as my office, so I just bring it in at lunch time:) Ends up being about $30 w/ their perputual $5 off coupon. The guys there give me good service too as I'm a fairly regular customer already having 155k on my 03 Accord:p

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's funny that you ask about oil weight and capacity. I've recently embarked on a task to find the best overall oil to cover the broadest applications of specifications. There are several manufactures(Chrysler, Toyota, Subaru and others) that only specify ILSAC GF-4 or API SM ratings. These are the very bottom requirements for engine oils for modern vehicles. Many manufactures have specific specifications that they require oil to meet. Ford, Honda, VW/Audi, BMW, MB and GM are the ones I have been looking for. Many require either semi-synthetic or full synthetic to meet these specification. You should also look at ONLY using the weight specified by the manufacturer, in our case Subaru which is 5w30. Many of the specifications require protection as well as fuel economy and catalyst contamination standards be met.
By the way a name brand doesn't always mean it's a better oil. I challenge all of you to walk into Walmart/Kmart/Target and look at the specifications printed on the labels of all the oil on the shelves. I bet you find only one or two that meet the newest Honda specification which is HTO-06, now look for the Ford spec on 5w30 and 5w20 oils. Surprised many of the name brands don't meet the minimum requirements?
Guess what the quick lubes use, the cheepest oil they can buy. I found out that one of the major quick lube chains has a $1,000,000 budget per yesr to replace engines damaged by the $8-$12 per hour help that leaves filters/drain plugs loose, puts the wrong filter or oil in the vehicle or anything else to require and engine replacement. You see from a cost perspective, a million dollar budget for engine replacements is less costly that hiring more qualified, higher paid workers.
Many dealers that offer a 30 minute quick lube do the same thing. Have the least trained, least paid worker perform your oil change.
Food for thought!!!:devil:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty neurotic..... and I don't trust anyone touching my cars but me. I'd rather just do it myself, all the time, every time.

I use Mobil1 exclusively in every car I've ever owned. I know it doesn't make "that" much of a difference... but I've seen engines torn down in front of me that used synthetic versus cheap oil..... it's worth the extra $$.

So if the Tribeca takes 6.5, and the WRX takes 4.5.... that makes it easy... 2 5-quart bottles, plus 1 quart extra.. I'll try to time them at the same time.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'd do whatever the manual says (which I don't know off hand). Cars typically come with special break-in oil which has extra moly in the mix which helps with the initial lubrication/penetration of the oil into the engine block/pistons so you don't want to drain it too early. On the other hand, during the break-in period you get the most metal shavings in your oil b/c the engine is obviously still breaking in. It's a fine balance really.

I know in my V6 Accord the standard oil change interval is 7500 miles, but the first oil change is stated for 3000 miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you read the manual, the oil change interval is 7,500 under normal conditions with the first at 3,000 for the Tribeca. Under severe conditions it's 3,750 and 3,000 respectively.

BTW we all drive in severe conditions, i.e.
Driving in temp over 90 or under 32 degrees. Driving in dusty conditions or deiced roads, extended high speed operation or stop and go driving.

As I mention to my customers, You leave the car home and walk when it's over 90, under 30 or during the winter with salted roads or all spring until they sweep up the sand. Does that sound realistic?

If you're looking for recommendations for oil, I'd say read the bottle and find one that has at least the Ford specs listed or even better BMW, VW/Audi, Mercedes. Change the oil 3,000-4,000 miles if using something with the Ford spec. and 5,000-6,000 if using something that has the Euro specs. Believe it or not more damage to the engine occurs in the first 500 miles after changing the oil than in the later miles whe extending the interval.

By no means do I recommend extendeding the oil change past 3,000 miles if you're not using one of the oil meeting the specifications I listed. Ilsac GF$ and API SM are the very bottom specs to be considered usabe as motor oil and that is the only spec listed on most bottles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Spoke to my dealer today to organize a 25K service and I questioned what oil they use. He said Castrol 10w-30. Have any of the Australian owners been told this? as the recommended is 5w-30 in the manual. Im thinking of changing to Mobil 1 and wanted to check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.