Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I turned in my Honda w/navi and now I really miss it(the navi oh and the gas miliage lol). My question to you all is for those who use after market GPS. I went to Garmins web site and thay have a gazillion models out there. I was looking at the 765 w/bluetooth as I would really like the blue tooth option. Also would like a long bat life because I don't want cords running down my dash all the time. Never looked at tom tom or mag. Any one out there tell me what they like and don't like about there navi? Oh and can I down load european maps in them as well?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have an old Garmin Nuvi 350. No BT, but works really well especially at recalculation an satellite lock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The best inexpensive Garmin that I have used is the 265WT, which has traffic and Bluetooth. You can find it for under $200 on sale all the time.

The advantage with powering with a cord is that you get traffic also, so you can see where the traffic is, and it will route around it.

Reedl

·
Registered
56 Posts
MNSteve said:
Use a Garmin 2720. But then, I'm not into Bluetooth and other advanced electronic stuff (KISS).
To me Bluetooth is very important because I simply do not want to hand hold a phone in a car.

But the Garmin devices are quite nice.

Reedl

·
Registered
214 Posts
Never been a fan of indash navi, and try to avoid it when I can. Getting harder nowadays. Before, the only one that I found close to worth it was Honda/Acura. Now the Infiniti's is pretty good.

That said, I have the 350 like MM. Nice and small, and have no problems. Updating these (handhelds in general) are much better than in dash as well. For the price of an update CD, you can get, if you wish, another unit that usually comes with a free update.

How does bluetooth work on these units? Useful? Why not get a separate bt earpiece?

·
Registered
56 Posts
njjuliano said:
Never been a fan of indash navi, and try to avoid it when I can. Getting harder nowadays. Before, the only one that I found close to worth it was Honda/Acura. Now the Infiniti's is pretty good.

That said, I have the 350 like MM. Nice and small, and have no problems. Updating these (handhelds in general) are much better than in dash as well. For the price of an update CD, you can get, if you wish, another unit that usually comes with a free update.

How does bluetooth work on these units? Useful? Why not get a separate bt earpiece?
Most Built in Navi is much less functional than the portable units. The Garmin units do much more and cost less to upgrade. One advantage of the Subaru Tribeca system though is that it has a gyroscope, and a speed sensor. This means in the tunnels here in the Mass area, and in the city, the nav system will still keep pretty good track of where you are, as opposed to the stand-alone units which will just go into "no satellite signal found" mode. Also the built in system has a nice large screen which makes it easier to see.

But I do like the Bluetooth in the Garmin units simply because you can pick a place in the database, and press a button to dial the number very easily. Very useful for calling places that you are planning on visiting. The sound quality is quite good, and loud enough to hear without straining. The microphones seem to be very good also.

As I said before, I simply do not hold a phone to my ear when driving. I have been almost hit too many times by some idiot either texting or holding a cell phone and not paying attention to the road. So every one of my cars either has a built in bluetooth, or a Garmin GPS with bluetooth in it. I sincerely hope that they make it the law that you cannot hold a phone to your ear. It is too much of a safety issue.

Reedl

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use the Nuvi 350 also. My Mom has built in navi in her new Denali and it cant even find the street we live on. House was built 8 years ago.

Only thing I dont like about the Tribeca is the switched power thingie when it comes to Nuvi... I dont like it restarting everytime you restart the car.

claire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts