Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Today I came out of a store and drove about 10 minutes only to realize that my A/C was off. None of the dials on the climate control were illuminated, none of the buttons worked, none of the audio buttons worked (except the "load CD" button) and the LCD display was blank (not dim, blank).

So, about 1/2 hour later I start my car again and try all the buttons to no avail. As soon as I put my car into drive, the LCD screen turned on and said "Welcome to Subaru" and all other controls returned to normal.

I started the car a third time, and it took about 5 min, but finally the LCD turned on and said "Welcome to Subaru" and climate controls were illuminated and working.

My last trip of the day I started the car and the screen and climate controls turned on immediately.

In the short 10 min I had to research online, I saw that its recommended to clean all the plugs and cables for the climate control and audio and possibly replace the panel. But since nobody else mentioned a blank LCD display, I'm wondering if I have a more extensive problem.

I'm 8 months pregnant and were entering AZ summer where climate controls are a must. I need simple suggestions and steps to drill down. I'm thinking its NOT a fuse because its an intermittent problem. Do I start with cleaning the electrical connections on the climate control and audio? Where do I go from there? How does the blank LCD screen fit into all of this?

·
Administrator
654 Posts
Gosh, sorry about this. I have been in your shoes....well not pregnant but know what it's like to not have A/C in South Florida. Have you tapped around the dash?

We are tracking on the intermittent nature. Is it still intermittent for you in a good way, e.g. display and HVAC working? If so, I'd be reluctant to mess with anything at this point.

I hope that others have more granular suggestions but that is what I would start of doing never having experienced this. I would also continue your search of this website when you have more time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are tracking on the intermittent nature. Is it still intermittent for you in a good way, e.g. display and HVAC working? If so, I'd be reluctant to mess with anything at this point.
I have driven it several more days, with multiple stops and starts as I run errands and the screen and controls have turned on immediately. I've been reluctant to take anything apart, more because I'm feeling tired and uncomfortable than anything else. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Administrator
654 Posts
I have driven it several more days, with multiple stops and starts as I run errands and the screen and controls have turned on immediately. I've been reluctant to take anything apart, more because I'm feeling tired and uncomfortable than anything else. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Super happy for you. I'd bone up on my queries about this if you have more time and see if you can't twist the search engine on this site sideways to get your answers so to speak.

I am experiencing something on my Volkswagen TDI except it is more likely related to charging system electro-mechanicals. I have all the parts handy but I won't be opening up the system unless it acts up....of course it will act up when I am in suit and tie not in shorts on an uncommon 60 degree day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts