Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm suffering from a bit of buyers remorse, we just unloaded my wife's 04 V70 2.5T for more head and legroom offered in our new to us 08 Tribeca 5 seater. Our teens are very tall and leggy.

She loves the Tribeca, but I find it (compared to the Volvo) bumpy riding and evidently much more thirsty.

It is a limited, just off a lease and out of basic warranty. I'm a car guy and fixed a few issues, including broken spot welds on the drivers seat bottom (very cheap, thin tin) and a nagging very minor coolant leak that the p/o was unable to have fixed. It also has a rattle in the back seat, something that I believe is addressed in these forums.

I'm a big fan of dealer fluids (except for motor oil) and dropped into the Subaru dealer in Gatineau for a jug of coolant and the "conditioner". I was surprised when the parts clerk handed me a bottle of "Esso Heavy Duty Coolant". When I questioned the Esso stuff, she advised that unless equipped with the "Super Long Life" (2009+), the dealership uses the Esso stuff. It is low silicate, non-amine, phosphate free, suitable for diesel too, and comes in a lovely red colour. Seems to meet the requirements. It is not the "regular" Esso coolant.

I removed the underbelly pan and the pad was wet with coolant. There is a small pipe that runs from the thermostat housing to the oil filter cooler. The spring clamp securing the rubber hose to the metal pipe was 3" off the mark, the robot in Indiana must have been having a bad day. I moved the clamp into position and hopefully the bottle will stay full. The leak was small enough (until the hose likely would have blown off) that the padding in the belly pan absorbed the leak and dried before it could drip onto the ground.

So, hopefully it will snow 50' this winter and I'll fall in love with my Subaru. We had an 01 Legacy GT, it was a great car in the winter (but it leaked coolant!). I have a brand new set of Blizzaks on winter alloys too. Which brings up another irritant, I have to go to the dealer to reprogram the TPMS twice a year, something that you should be able to do yourself......

Hopefully it will grow on me....

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My rhetorical style first post seems to have scared off the welcoming crowd, I really am a "glass-full" optimistic new owner!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome! I don't check in here too much. Hopefully your Tribeca stays problem free, but it's worrisome those faults passed QC!

Cheers

nigel

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was beginning to think I had offended everyone! And btw, the leak has stopped, and the Esso coolant is actually purple, not red.

·
Registered
164 Posts
congrats on the new purchase and taking initiative on some of the issues. this isn't really a high traffic forum so don't be dismayed if the welcoming committee straggles.. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats, you'll see how great the Subs are, although they are not as plushy as Lexus, but they are true hardworkers and will last. Rattle is one issue that can be fixed but faulty engineering

How was your Volvo V70 T? I heard Turbos were have many issues. I have a Volvo 96' 850 and '08 V70 3.2

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The volvo was good, no issues or gremlins other than clunks in the front end. It needed front control arm bushings every couple years but they are easy and inexpensive to fix, however a press is needed. The engine developed good power and was great on gas. We owned a 98 S70 non-turbo that my co-worker is still driving with 300+k. I'm sure the Subaru will be fine. Our 01 Legacy GT (no turbo) was very solid except for weepy head gaskets (the "conditioner" fixed it) and an annoying rad leak that would occur when it was REALLY cold. The rad would leak at the clamped tanks until the coolant temp warmed, enough to drain the bottle every month or so. Other than that, tires, brakes, timing belt (routine) and a CEL caused by the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 70 was FWD, I know that there were some expensive issues with the AWD models, something that doesn't appear to plague Subaru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts