Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been lurking since I bought my Beca in Nov 2007. This is my first Subie and I'm generally pleased with the '07 7 pax model I chose. The only thing that irritates me is the 2nd row seat rattles and intermittent dashboard creaks. I know there is a SOA TSB that addresses this issue in the '08 and '09's and have asked my dealer to apply a similar remedy to quieten the excessive rattling. Prior to the Subaru, I drove Isuzu Troopers. I loved the tank-like build quality of the Japanese built second generation models. I had my last one for 14 years before selling it to another Trooper owner. In the almost 22 months I've owned the Beca, I've put on 16,000 miles. Until this year, I didn't drive it very much as I have another car I preferred to drive in the warmer months. However, I've needed the extra space of the Beca this summer and have added about 8,000 miles since April. I've heard some complaints about the A/C, but I've found that it's almost too cold for my wife and I so we always moderate it a bit, usually setting it at 71°-72°. I'm still showing a lot of tread on my first set of stock tires as we don't spend winter in North America and consequently don't drive between Dec-Apr. Winter tires are mandatory here in Québec, but our driving habits have saved us from that added expense. BTW, I've over-inflated my tires to about 45 PSI to get better gas mileage. It appears to be working. At 16,000 miles, I've averaged 20.27 MPG with approximately 40% city driving and 60% highway. The ride quality does suffer the more PSI's you apply, so I would not recommend this for everyone. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the many members who have posted valuable information on this forum. Sharing experiences makes us better qualified to expect resolutions to common problems and defects before they become difficult to resolve. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to buy my first Tribeca but do not know whether to buy a 2007 or a 2008. The 07 seems a little sluggish compared to my Honda Pilot. Is there any mods to the 2007 that will help with the power? Or should one just look for the 2008. Thanks

·
Registered
630 Posts
not really that i know of, the 07 is a 3.0L 6cyl and the 08 is a 3.6L 6cyl and the 08 is not sluggish so i heard...good luck with your search!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
WELCOME !!!
we are discussing the backseat issue now lol search the forms, and welcome again!
Thanks for the head's up, Tribeca 06. My wife and I are leaving for a 10 day road trip, the end of which will see the Beca in for a check up and oil change stateside. I have already mentioned the TSB regarding the rattling seats to the dealer, but their standard answer is, "We'll check it out," followed by "We couldn't duplicate the symptom." I've had the same experience for each and every car brand and dealer with which I've had experience. The fly in the ointment in the Beca's case is that I purchased the vehicle in the USA and live in Canada. It's a burden to cross the border and drive 120 miles roundtrip to be so readily dismissed. I'd be happy to use the services of a local dealership, but have heard a number of horror stories from Canadian car owners who purchased their vehicles stateside and then have been turned away or treated poorly by disgruntled dealers who view us as parasites for having circumvented the inflated local price structure. If any Québecers have experiences to the contrary, I'd love to get a dealer recommendation.

·
Registered
630 Posts
ohh thats stinks ! i dont really mind the rattle myself i just try not to hit bumps, but on one of the forms someone put a link that shows you how to do it yourself if your handy, unlike me ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
ohh thats stinks ! i dont really mind the rattle myself i just try not to hit bumps;)
I'd venture to guess your travels do not include Québec. :rolleyes: Our government's priorities do not include the road network. We may be the most highly taxed province/state in North America, but you wouldn't know it by the road network. As soon as you cross the border from our grand province into Ontario, New York, Vermont, Maine or New Hampshire, the car ride seems to improve. I gues the tax revenue from gasoline sales @ $3.69 USD/gallon aren't sufficient to subsidize re-paving. Can you discern the sarcasm? :confused:

·
Registered
630 Posts
ohh wow. then the rattling must really be annoying lol but like i said there is that form for do it yourselfers, i dont think the dealers really tackle the problem anyway

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I brought the Beca in to have an oil change and address the second row seat rattle issue. A few days before my appointment, I tried, without avail, to have the dealer have the parts suggested in a SOA service bulletin in stock so that they could fix it without me having to return. Of course, they refused, but at least they subsequently heard the rattles and have now ordered the parts. I'll have to bite the bullet and drive the 120 miles roundtrip. I'll try to do so on a near empty tank so as to benefit from cheaper US gasoline prices. On our New England trip, we drove approximately 1,000 miles and averaged 20.56 MPG using 93 grade fuel. I'm happy with that, given that gas prices in the US are significantly lower than here in Canada. The lowest price was $2.95 USD/gal for 93 Premium whereas the lowest price for 91 grade Premium in the Montreal area is about $3.99 USD/gal. I ultimately haope to vanquish those pesky rattles and then move on to the squeaky dashboard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts