Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just wanted to make my first post on the forums here, I purchased my B9 last night! I have been reading on the boards here for the last 2 weeks, but decided to wait until I had actually purchased her to join.

I believe the color is steel silver metallic, with 2 tone gray/drk gray dash & black leather interior. Nav, moonroof, basically every option but RSE. Car was in fantastic shape, a one owner car with 54k miles, certified. Price was 17,990. Could have gotten a similarly specced 08 for 5 grand more, but to be honest the front is so distinctive I just couldnt pass it up, even with the older age. After adding 6yr/100k Gold warranty, and adding Scheduled Maintenance for addition 3 yrs/100k, grand total was just under 20k. Would like to tell anyone in the central/northern Jersey area to visit Flemington Subaru. At least one the sales end, very good group of people, very transparent, and finance got me an interest rate a full point under what I was originally quoted, which was very good to begin with.

As far as impression of the vehicle is concerned, I im very impressed with the ride quality, although the road noise is a little much. This is someone who just traded his 04 Lexus Gs300, so maybe my expections of a crossover ute are too high? Interior is attractive, a little Star Trek never hurt anyone. I'm 6'5" with aging knees, and the only car in this size class that fit me better was the Infiniti FX. Fit and finish is at the least on par with Murano. Handles very predictably - my drive home was on slippery back roads and not once did I feel like the car was over its head handling a tight corner at 35-40 MPH. Navigation voice is pleasant and volume is non intrusive, which is something I cant say about the Lexus nav unit. Visibility at night is meh. My GS rarely needed to bust out the high beams, but in the 'beca I might have ridden the entire way home just leaving them on if it werent for oncoming traffic. Halogen bulbs are the suck and I am looking to get back to HID's asap. Engine is indeed underpowered, at least in the low RPM range. I feel like I have to really gun the throttle to get her into the sweet spot. While I understand that this is a family hauler first, I don't exactly like the feeling of revving a go kart in order to overtake someone.

In summation, from a person who has test driven an FX35, an XC90 2.5T, an LR3, an Edge/MKX, a Murano and a Terrain - This car has the best combination of price, style, appointments, adequate performance, and reliability. The design is polarizing, but you can bet your lunch money that they wont forget you.

My plans for this vehicle are to add some HID's, the backup camera is a must, as is the aux in. I have seen the different threads about these things, but they seem to be quite old. To be honest, I'd rather just switch out the unit to something with bluetooth, but from my limited exposure to the discussions this is totally impossible? If anyone has done these recently, could you recommend one way over the other? Also, do you guys think it was a smart idea to do the Scheduled maintenance package? The way I see it getting that coupled with the Gold warranty made sense considering the mileage it has. What gas are you 06 owners driving on? Premium is not an issue for me, already used to it with the Lexus. Lastly, I'm looking to upgrade my tires, to something that will give me a quieter ride without sacrificing the feel for the road I have on what is apparently the stock tires.

I'll post some pictures of her on a nicer day, lol.

Colin

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome and good choice!
How do FX's drive, I like them a lot, buy looks
Volvo Turbos - s.u.c.k. T in Volvo stands for Trouble, Esp. early XC90s.. but of course some T Volvos im sure ok

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The FX is a great car if the decreased storage won't bother you. It rides about the same height as the tribeca. The engine on the FX35 makes the H6 sound like a lawn mower in comparison. In all seriousness, if Infiniti made a car that fit inbetween the FX35/45/50 and the ginormous QX56 - I may have went with them. Although I did my first highway driving the the subaru tonight, and highway cruising is VERY nice. I feel like as long as you plan your throttle usage, the power isnt as bad as I first thought. Also, I took an off ramp at 45 MPH, no tire squealing, and not as much body roll as I expected. +1 for handling. through 1/3 tank of the dealer's gas, I'm averaging 20.8 MPG. My GS was good for about 22.

Yeah with the Volvos I was looking at (certified 06-07) apparently the 2.5t's were more reliable than the T6 models. The V8 is supposed to beat them both, but at 15 MPG it was a deal breaker. Besides, If I want to guzzle gas, I'll do it right and get a Land Rover!:lol:

edit - just noticed your in New York, Do you change your tims/tires for winter? or at least snow chains? I'm feeling a bit skeptical about how these tires will hold up in a snowstorm, AWD or not.

·
Registered
630 Posts
nice, I like Infiniti but some of the interior parts I dont like, look cheap.

On the Volvoforums many people have issues with the T6 Volvos, one guy said the dealer said his XC90 T6 was only suppose to live to 100,000 miles anyway and that at 100,000 either get a new one or spend $6000 ( not under warranty) for a new tranny, which was normal! Couldnt believe it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.