Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forums and a new owner of a 2006 Tribeca. A few things to get answers to before I start my journey
OK.
1) I really would like roof rails. I have some black strips on it know whick looks like rails can be placed on but I am unsure. I see some damaged vehicles on Craigslist
What yrs will fit my rails

2)I really wanted a Navi system at least Bluetooth what is the most favorable way to get one?
Buy an aftermarket
Or buy a used unit and install it( Don't know what this would entail )

3) What is the most important thing to change out on a used tribeca? It has 160,000
In order of things to change out
Trans fluid still looks red with no weird smell
Tires are fine
I will most likely do an oil change(should I buy synthetic - any recommendations?)
Any other info would help as well. Esp things that are known in this yr vehicle Thx

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hello I am new to the forums and a new owner of a 2006 Tribeca. A few things to get answers to before I start my journey
OK.
1) I really would like roof rails. I have some black strips on it know whick looks like rails can be placed on but I am unsure. I see some damaged vehicles on Craigslist
What yrs will fit my rails

2)I really wanted a Navi system at least Bluetooth what is the most favorable way to get one?
Buy an aftermarket
Or buy a used unit and install it( Don't know what this would entail )

3) What is the most important thing to change out on a used tribeca? It has 160,000
In order of things to change out
Trans fluid still looks red with no weird smell
Tires are fine
I will most likely do an oil change(should I buy synthetic - any recommendations?)
Any other info would help as well. Esp things that are known in this yr vehicle Thx
Welcome.

1) I believe 2006/2007 share rails, but not 100% certain. What I am certain about is that 2008+ rails do not fit the 2006/2007.

2) If the B9 didn't originally come with navigation, you can't simply swap in a salvage OEM unit... at a minimum, you're going to need a new wiring harness (that runs from under the dash, up the A pillar, and through the roof), a new control panel, a new multi-function switch, and possibly a new heat unit. All that is in addition to a navigation display and a the navigation unit itself (installs under the driver's seat). Adding bluetooth is going to require removal and replacement of all of the above and more.

My suggestion is aftermarket on both. Frankly, I don't even use the OEM navigation anymore... I use Waze on my iPhone.

3) Hard to say... really depends on what's wrong. There's a whole list of things that usually fail/wear once or twice by 160k, but if they're still in good shape, there's no need to do anything. Personally, I always change fluids on a used car regardless, so that's a pretty good place to start (whether you use conventional or synthetic is a personal choice - either is fine). Then I'd check/inspect/test the following which are most likely culprits of 95% of the typical issues raised around here:

Battery - low/inconsistent voltage is the #1 cause of phantom issues in the Tribeca, IMO.
Sway bar bushings - Solves many "clunk" issues.
LCA bushings (rear) - Solves most of the "clunk" issues not solved by the sway bar bushings
Exhaust heat shields - The cause of 99% of rattling noises.
V-belt tensioner and pulleys/bearings
Oil cooler gasket - common cause of oil leaks below the oil filter

Of course, check the CV boots, hoses, any exposed wiring/harnesses (especially at coil packs and fuel injectors), etc. for wear/damage, but those aren't Tribeca-specific recommendations. Radiator hoses especially, though... as the OEM hoses have been known to develop microscopic pinhole leaks that will only manifest at high engine temps/RPM's. Frankly, if they haven't been by 160k, I'd replace both upper and the lower radiator hoses... probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a new t-stat while you're there (OEM, not aftermarket).

Two things you will want to check on any used Subaru are 1) exterior coolant/oil leaks along heads (i.e. possible external HG leak, though much less common on the Tribeca) and 2) wheel bearings. Neither of these are indicators of imminent problems or catastrophic damage, so they don't typically necessitate (and may never need) repair/replacement, but they are something to be mindful of nonetheless.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What he means by aftermarket unit, is a tomtom or garmin gps system or just use your phone. For bluetooth you can use A parrot BT kit, which works pretty well and you can integrate it with the factory wiring harness for a clean install.

If you have the talent and time or money to buy the talent and time, you could install an aftermarket head unit with a pretty display and all the functionality you are looking for. Finding a stock nav unit is just not worth it, the price is ridiculous and the functionality is lacking.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.

1) I believe 2006/2007 share rails, but not 100% certain. What I am certain about is that 2008+ rails do not fit the 2006/2007.

My suggestion is aftermarket on both. Frankly, I don't even use the OEM navigation anymore... I use Waze on my iPhone.

3) Hard to say... really depends on what's wrong. There's a whole list of things that usually fail/wear once or twice by 160k, but if they're still in good shape, there's no need to do anything. Personally, I always change fluids on a used car regardless, so that's a pretty good place to start (whether you use conventional or synthetic is a personal choice - either is fine). Then I'd check/inspect/test the following which are most likely culprits of 95% of the typical issues raised around here:

Battery - low/inconsistent voltage is the #1 cause of phantom issues in the Tribeca, IMO.
Sway bar bushings - Solves many "clunk" issues.
LCA bushings (rear) - Solves most of the "clunk" issues not solved by the sway bar bushings
Exhaust heat shields - The cause of 99% of rattling noises.
V-belt tensioner and pulleys/bearings
Oil cooler gasket - common cause of oil leaks below the oil filter

Of course, check the CV boots, hoses, any exposed wiring/harnesses (especially at coil packs and fuel injectors), etc. for wear/damage, but those aren't Tribeca-specific recommendations. Radiator hoses especially, though... as the OEM hoses have been known to develop microscopic pinhole leaks that will only manifest at high engine temps/RPM's. Frankly, if they haven't been by 160k, I'd replace both upper and the lower radiator hoses... probably wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a new t-stat while you're there (OEM, not aftermarket).

Two things you will want to check on any used Subaru are 1) exterior coolant/oil leaks along heads (i.e. possible external HG leak, though much less common on the Tribeca) and 2) wheel bearings. Neither of these are indicators of imminent problems or catastrophic damage, so they don't typically necessitate (and may never need) repair/replacement, but they are something to be mindful of nonetheless.
Thank you for this well thought out answer. I really appreciate it. I have a few issues that you mentioned. One being the oil cooler gasket leaking(pretty cheap and easy fix) and I have a loose/broken RL suspension link. I do hear some clunking in the back and maybe I have some of the bushing issues that you mentioned above. I will replace the suspension link to see if the clunking goes away. Would you know if this could cause the clunking?
The mechanic who inspected it said to just get it fixed soon. He couldn't tighten it up. I believe the hoses were replaced already because the old ones were in the trunk area. However I will make sure to check for this.
I know the car has 160000 miles but at 3800 I think it was a steal. Only time will tell Though. I will def change all the fluids out.
Should I use high highway synthetic oil? Any recommendations?
I looked underneath the vehicle when he had it up in the air and didn't notice a trans filter? I'm assuming it is in the trans pan? The trans is still pretty red but I will change that out next. Any suggestions on the trans oil?
Thx again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts