Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member of the Edmunds forums for years, but I just found and joined this forum today. I have a 2006 Tribeca purchased in June, 2005. It is a gold seven-passenger LTD w/nav and DVD.

Currently have 114,000 miles on it and it's still running great. Just took a 500-mile trip on Sunday and averaged 24 mpg on almost all-highway driving.

I have had the front bushings replaced every 20-30K miles, but nothing else except routine maintenance.

I've been through four sets of tires with the latest being General Grabber HTS. I got them in March. I felt like I'd just replaced the whole suspension the first time I drove the car after having them installed. They are head-and-shoulders better than any of the others I've had.

Super comfortable, fairly quiet and great wet (and dry) traction. I have 12K miles on them and they seem to be wearing well. And no - I don't sell tires.

Anyway, just saying Hi and glad to have found you all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Welcome aboard....you may actually have the most mileage of any active member. Most people here don't have much more than 60k on the odo yet.

Interesting that you've had to continually replace your front bushings? That seems to be a common issue here, but I don't think anyone else has driven enough yet to have to multiple replacements? So I guess we'll see how that pans out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snork said:
Interesting that you've had to continually replace your front bushings? That seems to be a common issue here, but I don't think anyone else has driven enough yet to have to multiple replacements? So I guess we'll see how that pans out...
I use a local mechanic who worked for a Subaru dealership for many years. It has gotten to the point that he just orders the bushings every fourth or fifth oil change. As soon as I hear the thumping start, I give him a call.

This is my fifth Subaru, going back to a 1988 GL-10. They have all lasted through a lot of miles except the LL Bean Outback I had just prior to the Tribeca. I let it go at 93,000 miles because I had wanted that Tribeca for months before it was even available. As soon as it hit the local showroom, I was on it.

I love the brand, and they really outdid themselves when they designed the Tribeca.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Mike JL said:
I've been a member of the Edmunds forums for years, but I just found and joined this forum today. I have a 2006 Tribeca purchased in June, 2005. It is a gold seven-passenger LTD w/nav and DVD.

Currently have 114,000 miles on it and it's still running great. Just took a 500-mile trip on Sunday and averaged 24 mpg on almost all-highway driving.

I have had the front bushings replaced every 20-30K miles, but nothing else except routine maintenance.

I've been through four sets of tires with the latest being General Grabber HTS. I got them in March. I felt like I'd just replaced the whole suspension the first time I drove the car after having them installed. They are head-and-shoulders better than any of the others I've had.

Super comfortable, fairly quiet and great wet (and dry) traction. I have 12K miles on them and they seem to be wearing well. And no - I don't sell tires.

Anyway, just saying Hi and glad to have found you all.
2006 gold...same here....did you have yours repainted? i have defective paint !!!! andd also did your bushings make a noise and thats when you knew that had to be replaced? i heard a noise from the front end of mine and i replaced the bushings but it didnt solve the problem so i now think its the front struts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Mike JL said:
Currently have 114,000 miles on it and it's still running great. Just took a 500-mile trip on Sunday and averaged 24 mpg on almost all-highway driving.
Geez, and I thought the mielage on my 06 was high at 73,000!!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
2006 gold...same here....did you have yours repainted? i have defective paint !!!! andd also did your bushings make a noise and thats when you knew that had to be replaced? i heard a noise from the front end of mine and i replaced the bushings but it didnt solve the problem so i now think its the front struts.
My paint has been great - no problems at all.

When the front sway bushings get worn, a thumping noise under the front end starts up, like something heavy hitting the underside of the car. It's very noticeable at low speeds, especially on roads that aren't perfectly smooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
really..114,000..wow.
55,000 myself :)
I commute about 425 miles to work each week, and I live in a rural area so even shopping adds significant miles in the course of a year. Subarus just seem to shake off the high mileage like water off a duck's back, which is one of the reasons I've kept buying them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snork said:
Interesting that you've had to continually replace your front bushings? That seems to be a common issue here, but I don't think anyone else has driven enough yet to have to multiple replacements? So I guess we'll see how that pans out...
I was lucky in that the service manager at my local dealership was very experienced and very smart. He diagnosed the problem fairly quickly the first time it happened by taping the bushings to compress them, which relieved the symptoms.

The Tribeca had just been released a few months prior to this, and he theorized that the heavier weight of this vehicle, which was built on a Legacy frame, would cause the bushings to continue to fail on a regular basis until they were redesigned appropriately.

He was dead-on with his analysis, but I'm surprised and disappointed that the problem still exists in newer models after all this time. It seems like such a simple thing to fix with a different spec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Mike JL said:
My paint has been great - no problems at all.

When the front sway bushings get worn, a thumping noise under the front end starts up, like something heavy hitting the underside of the car. It's very noticeable at low speeds, especially on roads that aren't perfectly smooth.
oh ok. i got this like clicking noise or a slight rattle thats not like a thump so im thinking its a the stuts..

you have no white patches on your paint or anything..differnt shades of gold/white, swirls? wow you really really lucky..2006 gold paint is defective and like 99% of the B9s are defective paint..your so lucky lol !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tribeca_06 said:
you have no white patches on your paint or anything..differnt shades of gold/white, swirls? wow you really really lucky..2006 gold paint is defective and like 99% of the B9s are defective paint..your so lucky lol !
The only white patches I have are small ones on the hood where rocks have hit me. I should have put a bug/stone deflector on when it was new. I don't personally know even one other person who owns a Tribeca, much less a gold one, so I was unaware of the problem with the gold paint. I guess I did get lucky.

I do keep the car clean as much as possible and wax it at least a couple of time a year, but that wouldn't do anything for a defective paint job. Any explanation from Subaru about what's causing the problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
ohh so you have little ones..feel free to add pics of your b9 :) lol
Waxing doesnt hurt the paint to what i know; something went wrong in a factory as they put the paint on so alot of B9s were affected and i guess your a lucky one . Subaru never fully claimed a recall but they notified dealers to alert owners of gold b9s.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top