Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, picked up a 2008 Tribeca for the wife because her Forester was old, worn out, and getting to small for the family.

It was a deal we really got screwed on because the person we bought it from lied about pretty much everything, but we paid to much to dump it (was priced in the good condition price range), and we could never recover the money we spent on it, as I wouldn't lie about the issues it has had.

Not new to Subarus, as I have had my WRX since 2006 and have over 320k miles on it, and wife drove a Forester for ~7 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plan is fixing it. It's safe to drive and runs well, but I think it may have been in a flood as we are finding wiring and sensors are bad, 2 of the injector clips were broke, so some times they would work, sometimes they wouldn't (new $600 harness), rear wiper didn't work, was nice when we test drove so wasn't something I tested. Also one of the factory rims was so bent that it could not be repaired, so had to put new rims on when we put on tires. Tach worked when I test drove it, but on the way home wife said it wasn't working (I was driving her old car) so we traded, and sure enough the tach is smoked. They covered the check engine light with sharpie, and unless you shine a flashlight at the dash, you can't tell.

When all the Covid stuff is over we are ready to file in small claims court due to the hidden check engine light, as that is illegal to do.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow, sharpie over the check engine light is low. Sorry that happened! I've sold numerous cars privately over the years. I always feel that it's a better deal for the purchaser. I would trade to the dealer any car that I didn't feel comfortable with selling to someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe in honesty. If I sell anything, I am going to be honest about the condition. I went over the car pretty well, drove it hard, took corners hard, and saw nothing mechanical wrong with it. Couldn't see the check engine light was on so never plugged my ODBII reader in.

Live and learn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts