Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little worried here. I changed my oil about 1000 miles ago, and I checked my dipstick today noting it was on L as in low. The car only has 5000 miles on it. I've heard that new engines burn a lot of oil, but should I be worried? I am going to monitor over the next 1000 miles. Should I contact dealer in the mean time?

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are you sure it was full to begin with?
I had to put around 7 quarts in to fill it when I changed the oil. Even warmed it up and let it cool to get everything drained down when I put in the factory recommended amount but it wasn't full by the dipstick. Level ground in the garage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good point, might have been low to start off with. Noticed when checking oil first thing in the morning it is slightly on low, though once warmed up and left to drain the level is where it should be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem

I have a similar problem with my 2008. Burns alot of oil, an inordinate amount. Are other people having this problem?

Thanks,
Molly

·
Registered
80 Posts
Molly said:
I have a similar problem with my 2008. Burns alot of oil, an inordinate amount. Are other people having this problem?

Thanks,
Molly
I've had the same issue with mine and have not had time to get the oil consumption test done. I just poured like 2-3 quarts in the car the other day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2007B9 was using a lot of oil - needed new engine!

Molly & SubuTri08-

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but get your car to a dealer and complain about excessive oil consumption. I did last November of 2008 and finally got a new short body engine installed this month (Sept 09). It takes quite a while and a lot of documentation to get this issue resolved because it is indeed an expensive fix. So don't wait until the warranty is almost up. My B9 (my first Subaru experience) has continued to use excessive oil since Day 1. Last Nov 2008 they started an oil consumption test - bring car in every month to be checked. After several months, they claim they were not following the correct Subaru guidelines, so had to start over. They need data from 4 consecutive measurements (each is at 1 month or 1,000 miles). They claim that consumption of up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles can be acceptable due to engine part tolerances, etc. :)eek: hard to believe). Mine was using just over a quart on both trials. Whew! That authorized a compression and leakage test which was apparently within specs. A Service Bulletin came out about blue smoke on startup and oil consumption due to sludge under valve cover causing backflow into PCV lines. I had both of these symptoms. They performed the service bulletin work and of course I had to start the 4 month test all over again! Still continued to use a little over a quart per 1,000 mi. Then another compression test. Finally, ten months later and at least 40 days in the shop, I have it back with a rebuilt engine. The service department was great and apologetic all along so despite the timeline, it was still a pleasant (as can be) experience. It appears there are a lot of rules and warranty approval processes required all along the way. Sorry for the long post, but just want to warn you that it can be a long process of documentation if you should have the same problem. I doubt you will because they claim they have never seen this problem before!!!! ;) Good Luck! Chuckie

·
Registered
80 Posts
thnx chuckie! I brought it back about a week ago to do a oil change and had them take a look but they said everything was fine although i'm not sure what they did. They didnt even suggest that I bring the car back each month, although my original dealer did they're just too far for me. I told them I'll monitor it each month to see if it's eating too much oil and come back if it happens. I'll keep in mind what you said though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My H6 08 tribeca burns oil

Just came back from the dealer to finalize the 4x1000 oil check and they say that it was in subarus guideline to burn 1 1/2 quatrs for the 4000 miles. What is wrong with this picture is that the first 2x1000 the car was driven in Florida no oil comsumption, flat land. the next 2x1000 miles we went on vaction to the Smokies, this resulted in 1 1/2 guart of oil used. I told the maintenace people that there was no stress in Florida, but as soon as the car was under stress, it stared to burn oil. They told me that this was still acceptable. The oil comsumption test is a farse it needs to be base on the cars dring condition. does anyone else have a simialar problem of dring the car under stress and losing oil, This all started when I was towing a small trailer for about 100 miles and notice the lost between oil changes. In the mountains, I only had the car loaded inside with suitcases.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not normal for any new car to burn that much oil.

When you hit over 200,000 miles and you burn a quart every 4-5,000 miles now that's acceptable!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil Consumption during Stress

Misty-One:
As I mentioned above, I was using just over four quarts in the 4,000 mile tests, and my 2007 engine was replaced. But you bring up an excellent point. I live in NC and my dipstick was dry when driving hilly interstates to upstate NY - dry each time during two separate trips! Yet when they did the compression tests in the shop, all measurements were within specification! Does sound like a load/stress issue to me, same as yours. Plus I was told the spec was 1.0 quarts per oil (I assumed in 1,000 miles, but maybe it was the 4,000). You may want to request the official specification document. Don't give up!
Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
chuckie

Have you notice anymore loss of oil with the new block that the dealer installed? I wrote a letter to Subaru and waiying for their repy. I only hsve 17,000 miles on the car, I'm pretty sure it should be broken in by now .

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer puts in Kendall oil for the test, after it was done, I changed the oil and filter myself and used Quaker 5w-30, will monitor it my self and see if it it there brand of oil that is good or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Subaru's reply

Just want to channge the previous mistake, in my post, I put in Castrol, not Quacker.

Finally got a reply to my problem from their customer service
"
Thank you for your recent contact to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
As with all gasoline engines there is an acceptable amount of oil consumption which is considered normal. Subaru considers the industry standard of 1 quart of engine oil consumed in 1,200 or more miles acceptable.
Certain driving habits will also increase oil consumption such as towing or carrying heavy loads, operating the engine while overheating, operating the vehicle at high RPMs, or high road speeds, or whether the vehicle is being operated by multiple drivers, with differing driving habits.
As you have stated you live in Florida and been to the local dealer and also a dealer in North Carolina. If you feel an irregularity is present, you need to contact your local dealer.
Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience you may be encountering. If you have any additional questions, please contact me by replying to this email. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to address this matter."

Some things don't make sense

Industry standard is 1 quart for 1200 miles? How about 1.5 quarts for 1000 miles. If any of you have had any luck with the dealer, please let other know how to get them to fix this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be a wider problem with this model

I had an oil consumption problem posted earlier and took it back to the dealer and complained. They did an oil test and found the car burned close to two quarts at 1,200 miles. It burned more sometimes three quarts between oil changes. They did a ring job. At 34,000 miles. I just got the car back today. We will see how it goes. I was told that Subaru did have some kind of manufacturing problem with some of these engines in a few of their cars. The dealer said this was the first they saw of it, but that Subaru has a kit that they use to fix this problem. We will see how it goes. I would monitor the problem closely.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts