Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in alaska where i get every type of wheather, most of the roads are gravel and dirt. The LS-2 are not cutting it i have had to replace one tire and get another patched 3 times. I need a good all around tire, i was thinking about toyo a/t's but thought i would ask what you all think. thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to order the General Grabber HTS for mine. Tirerack reviews are excellent, and quite a bit cheaper than the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred that is also recommended on this site. Live in WI, so snow is a major cocnern for me.

Will report back once they are here and mounted and I have a chance to test them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the info, I am going to go with the stock tires for now. I am leaving in a year. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the Goodyear Triple Tred for my 06 Beca. My first choice was the Nokian WR G2, but they were over my budget. Not much snow yet in Toronto, Canada to test the Triple Treds, but they look aggressive enough for snow.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I HAVE HEARD PROBLEMS BALANCING these tires, but maybe tire place was trying to sell me what they had in stock instead of ordering these.
Tell us your feedback on driving feel and tire in general?
I've read same as you on the tirerack.
ymibhdu said:
I am about to order the General Grabber HTS for mine. Tirerack reviews are excellent, and quite a bit cheaper than the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred that is also recommended on this site. Live in WI, so snow is a major cocnern for me.

Will report back once they are here and mounted and I have a chance to test them out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tripple Tred

I tested these at Mt Ranier -Miami grandson needed snow. It was "chains required" about half-way. Didn't need chains 'cause the car and traction tire combination make it legal to drive without them (provided you have chains in the car; which I didn't, but if you don't tell anyone I'll be OK). At one point (no one else on the road) I stopped and slammed the accelerator to try to spin the tires -no way. I tried several times and the car just didn't lose traction. Around one corner on the way down, I was going a little too fast (braking with the transmission and bumped it back into drive from manual). It broke loose and started to slide for a second, but quickly caught and corrected itself. Needless to say, I highly recommend these tires...on any car. I have them on my Lumina too. Same kind of result in deep snow last year. They also are top rated on wet and dry pavement and supposed to go 60,000 miles (SUV) and 80,000 miles (passenger car)...Did I mention they cost me about $1100? :eek:
Would have been much cheaper from Sam's Club, but they don't carry 18" tires.

Doug

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a set of Nokian WR G2 SUV's and absolutely love them!!!! I live in WI by Lake Michigan and get lake effect snow so a good set of tires is important especially since my wife primarily drives the Tribeca and I drive the STI. I have had these on for about a year and they still look like brand new and handle very well in dry, rain and snow. We just took a road trip to Florida and drove in a horrible snow storm for about 5-6 hours and we had no problem. They are slightly louder than stock but the stock tires suck so I can deal with slightly louder. I have gone through snow that I never would have thought possible but it felt like it was hardly slippery at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Nokian sound great. Only question is, do they stop on ice? The TripleTreds stop as good as studded tires on icey surfaces.
Isn't it great not to have to do the "winter tire change-over?" As expensive as they are, it still saves money (and a lot of work) to avoid buying tires and wheels, and changing them with the weather.

By the way, my wife won't drive the Tribeca...yet. She's afraid of it..."too big." She drives our Camry...that I have a set of studded tires/snow wheels for. Blew one out last year (took a chain link from someone's broken chains) in the sidewall. Evidently chainlinks laying on the highway are the #1 cause of winter blow-outs. Now I need a 2 more studded snow tires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Nokians stop awesome on ice/snow. With the stock tires the ABS and traction was always kicking in. I can honestly say I don't think I have had either one turn on since putting the Nokians on at all....

It is nice to not have to change tires but I have 5 sets of wheels for my STI all with a different tire on them so changing tires has just become a normal thing I guess? lol

drbrousters-it's funny you say your wife does not like driving the Tribeca..my wife is just the opposite she hated driving my STI until I put the WRX trunk on with the smaller wing. Now she doesn't mind as much but she prefers the Tribeca.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seems odd to me too. She has never driven our van either (used for hauling). When I bought that, she said, "I don't do vans, and I don't do trucks." I guess the SUV is both. She really seems to like riding in it, but states she'd have to "practice" to feel safe driving either van/SUV. Her sister bought a van and misjudged a curb shortly after she bought it. There was a notceable amount of damage done...That didn't help at all.

I have the wheels, but hate changing over. I can't do it myself now (damage in my neck, runs down my arms), but I didn't like it before either. I had a jack where I could raise the front end, change the wheels, raise the rear end, change the wheels and be done. Now I don't have the labor, but have to load them in the car and go to the shop. IT"S A FREAKIN' PAIN EITHER WAY!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree it is a pain to change them over! Maybe it's a good thing if your wife starts driving the Tribeca she might like it and you might be out and not get to drive it any more...lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.