Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Need help with Head Gaskets

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  89sandman 
#1 ·
New here. New Subaru owner as well.

Bought an 06 Tribeca B9 cheap.

1) It runs but overheats when driving, especially stopped.
2) It losses coolant but can't find any anywhere.
3) it runs rough and smokes on start up but smooths out after a couple minutes.

Bought it cheap, would like to fix it cheap and use as a DD.

Any advice? How can I tell which head gasket is blown and must I replace both or will 1 suffice.

#3 ·
sooo... let me rephrase it. you don't know anything, you don't really want to understand it. you just want somebody scratch their internet router and guess what is wrong with your car, right? :D

also - have you done ANYTHING to check possible problems?

on more serious note:
spark plugs removed and checked?
have you done coolant test where you see if any exhaust gasses are entering coolant?
do your fans work on radiator?
is temperature of coolant entering and exiting radiator different?

#5 ·
So just my two cents but you can pull that motor in 3 hours not knowing too much. Now that I've done it I could do it again in 1.5 hours or so. Once it's out do a full leak down test. If you're going mvp in the rebuild they aren't known for blowing head gaskets so maybe just do the bad head.

#7 ·
Depends on whatever the definition of age is, ha. Point was its not worth it at all to work in the car since she pulls so easy. I personally would never do just one head because I believe myself un lucky but it's a cost thing. I think I paid $800 or so to have my heads shaved, valve job and pressure tested and my machinist declared don't bring him more of these 😅. That said, I have confidence for another 100k before any mechanical gremlins come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.