Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replace the drivers side low beam headlight yesterday. Now it point at the ground three feet in front of the bumper. Does any one know how to aim the headlights. Replacing the bulb was fun enough.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
First, are you sure that you mounted the bulb correctly? I've done the bulbs twice and sometimes it just doesn't sit right the first time. I've never had to re-aim my beams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were right the bulb was not correctly positioned. After removing the battery the replacement went smoothly.

Thank you,

·
Registered
119 Posts
new2subaru said:
You were right the bulb was not correctly positioned. After removing the battery the replacement went smoothly.

Thank you,
You must have been replacing the driver's side HL. I just had that done and it took the tech 10 minutes. However, I replaced the pass side one a few months ago and it was a nightmare...not enough room to stick my skinny hand in there...had to get the clip "just right". After an hour or so and numerous tries, I finally got lucky and it clicked into place. Not a job for the faint of heart or fat of hand :(

-Karen in AZ-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have now replaced both sides. It is not a bad job if you remove the battery to replace the Drivers side and then remove the Air filter assembly on the passenger side. The added work of removing the pieces to get the the bulb access is well worth it. Figure about 20 minutes per side. The trick was in getting the bulb seated correctly. Once seated in the groves the clip goes back quite smoothly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
new2subaru said:
I have now replaced both sides. It is not a bad job if you remove the battery to replace the Drivers side and then remove the Air filter assembly on the passenger side. The added work of removing the pieces to get the the bulb access is well worth it. Figure about 20 minutes per side. The trick was in getting the bulb seated correctly. Once seated in the groves the clip goes back quite smoothly.
OK, you removed the battery. Did you disconnect the leads? If so, did all the electronic dodads reset? Any problems?

·
Registered
630 Posts
did you guys notice that it seems that the way the low beam lights are mounted that at night they dont project that far? It could be my positioning but lowbeam at night basically sucks lol.. is it just the design?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tribeca_06 said:
did you guys notice that it seems that the way the low beam lights are mounted that at night they dont project that far? It could be my positioning but lowbeam at night basically sucks lol.. is it just the design?
It's just the design of the projector lenses. There is a sharp cut-off at the top of the beam to prevent blinding oncoming drivers, and also has a two-level top cut-off so the right half of the beam projects a little further than the left half.

You won't see the lights shining into the trees above you like standard bulbs (unless you turn on the brights, which aren't projectors, thus spread the light a little wider).

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah i mean i guess that sounds good but driving at night without the brights kind of sucks.. is there a way to fix it/ adjust or just deal? i mean, it doesnt bother me to much but it can sometimes be annoying

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Abaton6 said:
OK, you removed the battery. Did you disconnect the leads? If so, did all the electronic dodads reset? Any problems?
Nope, you don't have to remove the cables. You're just shifting the battery over so your hand will fit in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.