Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my tribeca last week, and while driving it home (800+ mile drive), I had the CD player on loud for many hours and the heater on as well, the navigation system shut itself off (screen went black). After turning off the radio for 5 minutes, it restarted itself. It happend a few times.

I'm thinking the unit got too hot and shut itself off. Has anyone else had this occur? Is it normal or something I need to worry about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an 08 tribeca 12/30/07 and on my first trip on 1/19 from DC to NY (300miles) had this happen 2x about halfway. The radio wasn't too loud and the temperature was normal ~70-71. Basically the screen went blank, music continued to play and I could change tracks, volume etc. It also reboot itself after 5 minutes to the subaru logo. Didn't happen on the way back and haven't had the problem since, but haven't been on a 6 hour drive lately either.

I was nervous since I wasn't sure the electrical system wasn't haven't problems since I had the puddle lights installed just days before and disappointed since I just bought the vehicle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hmm...it could be a problem with the navi software itself. It's actually a quite common problem with many portable GPS units that they will sometimes reset. If you read through some gps/navi forums it's common to all different makes/models.

I haven't experienced this problem with my Tribeca, but I also have a Magellan Roadmate 700 portable nav unit. I live in NJ and I have discovered, 2 places that cause it to reboot. When I come within ~200 yards of the Rt-202/206 traffic circle in Bridgewater, NJ and when I cross the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River by West Point in NY will cause my Roadmate to reset EVERY time. It's really quite bizarre. The first times it happened I thought it was random reboots, turns out it wasn't random...go figure:Dunno: :confused:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Weird. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and it hasn't rebooted or blanked out on my yet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had this problem since I initially reported it, but I haven't done any really long (200+ miles) trips without stopping for a break since then. Still not sure what it was.

·
Registered
119 Posts
bionicbadger said:
Hi,

I just got my tribeca last week, and while driving it home (800+ mile drive), I had the CD player on loud for many hours and the heater on as well, the navigation system shut itself off (screen went black). After turning off the radio for 5 minutes, it restarted itself. It happend a few times.

I'm thinking the unit got too hot and shut itself off. Has anyone else had this occur? Is it normal or something I need to worry about?
Actually this sounds to me more like a problem with the DVD reader or the disk itself than stereo or the screen. Check the disk to see if it's unseated/loose/dirty/scratched/defective. There's also a reset button on the front of the DVD unit which might solve the problem. If the disk and drive look OK, have your local dealer check to see if there is a ground problem under your driver's seat, or some defect in the disk unit that is shutting it down.

It's also possible, I guess, that the screen's video connector is loose behind the dash...I think I read somewhere that this would also reset the nav system.

-Karen-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have similar issue

Mine started a couple weeks ago. It it now happens all the time.

When I start "Becky" the NAV shows the Subaru logo 3 times, then goes black. It then flashes the NAV button 4 times, pause 4 times, pause, etc.

I took it in, and the dealer pulled a "Pontious Pilot" saying there was liquid on it. I pulled the NAV out and looked it over pretty good. There was a little (maybe a tsp), of what appears to be soda, on the top (heaven only knows how) but none could have gotten inside due to the way the unit it put together. All seams overlap on the outside.

I have noticed that it will sometimes work when it is really cold, but not always.

The dealer of course is ready to put it to me for the amount of about $900 to replace the NAV unit. :mad:

I guess I just wanted to get others input.

Thanks in advance.

STI9mm

·
Registered
152 Posts
bionicbadger said:
Hi,

Thats what mine did at first.. then it started doing that w/ the color being off. Eventually it started doing it more frequently until it did it ALL the time. The dealer replaced my nav screen under warranty, and everythings been fine since.

·
Registered
152 Posts
STI9mm said:
Mine started a couple weeks ago. It it now happens all the time.

When I start "Becky" the NAV shows the Subaru logo 3 times, then goes black. It then flashes the NAV button 4 times, pause 4 times, pause, etc.

I took it in, and the dealer pulled a "Pontious Pilot" saying there was liquid on it. I pulled the NAV out and looked it over pretty good. There was a little (maybe a tsp), of what appears to be soda, on the top (heaven only knows how) but none could have gotten inside due to the way the unit it put together. All seams overlap on the outside.

I have noticed that it will sometimes work when it is really cold, but not always.

The dealer of course is ready to put it to me for the amount of about $900 to replace the NAV unit. :mad:

I guess I just wanted to get others input.

Thanks in advance.

STI9mm
Mine was covered under waranty... I was also told its a known problem and they've seen it happen on new cars on their lot. I would take it to another subaru or contact SoA and have it re-evaluated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Navi black out...

I have the Non-Navi B9 (we couldn't wait for it)..
As for the folks, that are getting the Blackout and still hear music, etc.. did you guys try pressing the INFO button? I assume you guys have one, I can't remember... but, by holding INFO (3sec) on the non-nav Tribeca's, this will blank the screen, and still allow the user to control the unit as they would normally. Its a power consumption feature, if the user is listening to extensive hrs of music or stalking the girl next door .. you won't give your self away with the fancy lights ;)
Simply Pressing the INFO bttn again, returns the screen to normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stumped the dealer!

awd_envy said:
Mine was covered under waranty... I was also told its a known problem and they've seen it happen on new cars on their lot. I would take it to another subaru or contact SoA and have it re-evaluated.
Can I ask what dealer you worked with. My dealer is totally stumped by the problem and I'd like to get them talking to each other to get this fixed.

So far we have replaced the Underseat Kenwood DVD component, and the cable between it and the nav screen. It has been apart at least 3 or 4 times now, and no closer to resolution.

·
Registered
152 Posts
STI9mm said:
Can I ask what dealer you worked with. My dealer is totally stumped by the problem and I'd like to get them talking to each other to get this fixed.

So far we have replaced the Underseat Kenwood DVD component, and the cable between it and the nav screen. It has been apart at least 3 or 4 times now, and no closer to resolution.
I dealt with "Ryan" at Tom Wood Subaru in Indianapolis... he is very friendly and will probably know what your talking about if you explain the problem.

http://www.tomwoodsubaru.com/service/index.htm

Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts