Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying Kenwood/Garmin Navi KNA-G520. I have a 5 seater Tribeca 06 with Navi. There is no Subaru DVD map for my area. So I thought I would swap the factory DVD NAVI unit located under the drivers seat with Kenwood KNA-G520. I checked the diagrams for Subaru Kenwood touch panel (http://files.l33t.net.au/servicemanuals/FGZ000UF2_Service_Manual.pdf) and Garmin units (http://images.kenwood.eu/files/images/products/product_id_481/file_category_8/KNA-G520_Installation_Manual_ENG.pdf). Theoretically there should be no problems. Both have 13-din port with matching pins. The rest (SPEED, REV, PARKING, ACC, etc.) can be hard wired based on the diagrams. Has anyone tried to connect KNA-G520 to Tribeca touch panel? I just want to make sure it can be done before I waste $1k+ for this unit. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have the kna 510

got it for 450, so dont pay a grand. now what i can tell you.. it will connect but the touch screen locks up after 30 seconds. Dont know why, its the screen that locks up. the unit will continue to track route etc. so ive been playing in my spare time. there is no reason for it not to work. ive called kenwood and garmin with no luck each points at the other. so i am thinking its something with the speed sensor that is locking the screen. soi am going to disconnect the speed sensor wire on the head unit.

almost forgot the audio is not working, voltage may be to high..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gsx95 said:
got it for 450, so dont pay a grand. now what i can tell you.. it will connect but the touch screen locks up after 30 seconds. Dont know why, its the screen that locks up. the unit will continue to track route etc. so ive been playing in my spare time. there is no reason for it not to work. ive called kenwood and garmin with no luck each points at the other. so i am thinking its something with the speed sensor that is locking the screen. soi am going to disconnect the speed sensor wire on the head unit.

almost forgot the audio is not working, voltage may be to high..
You mean the screen locks up while on the move or when the car is parked?

Have you checked the 13-pin port layouts for touch panel and garmin? It could help you get the audio signal. Here is the 13-pin port layout for Kenwood FGZ000UF2 touch panel:

1. NAVI-R (video signal red)
2. GND
5. NAVI-G (video signal green)
6. GND
7. NAVI-AUDIO-GND
8. NAVI-AUDIO-RIGHT
9. NAVI-B (video signal blue)
10. NAVI-RX
11. NAVI-TX
12. NAVI-AUDIO-LEFT
13. NAVI-SYNC (video signal sync)

Do you have a service manual with diagrams/schematics for KNA-510? If you do have one can you email it to me please.

Also have a look at Kenwood FGZ000UF2 touch panel block diagram at http://files.l33t.net.au/servicemanuals/FGZ000UF2_Service_Manual.pdf

See page 2 for J803 to troubleshoot speed sensor wiring and J805 for audio wiring. Please note that touch panel expects right and left audio channels on pins 8 and 12. Then it sums up the signal and passes it to isolation amplifier along with audio ground (pin 7) according to the diagram. Therefore, it is essential to consult with Garmin KNA-G510 service manual.

What about gps unit? Did you connect the in-car gps unit to Garmin? Or did you use gps unit that came with Garmin?

Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
locks up while standing or moving.
ive got the service manual for the fgz and one for a kenwood unit that is compatible with the kna510. the schematic that i was able to get was for the ddx8017. I have not been able to get the kna-510. do u have a location i can post or email you the service manual for the ddx8017?

·
Registered
29 Posts
some updates, I updated the KNA-G510 to the latest firmware and the lock problems are now gone. As with abvmail there is no audio. ABV how did you get the audio? I know its possible to get the audio via external amp and speaer, just need to get the right pin outs and i am done. abvmail do you have the pinouts for the audio? the navigation is a lot easier to use the stock unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to the list of compitable monitors, the ddx8017 is fully compatible. ddx7015 has limited support, the navigation works audio is not supported. our unit is based of ddx7015 comparing the wiring on all three the DIN pin has the same pin out for audio. I dont understand why it does not work, it should work. the only difference i see is that the voltage on our unit for r/l is 4.5, the other two are 4.7. any wiring experts here, can you take a look?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maps KNA-g520 has EU maps and additional connectors for speed sensor for dead on reckoning.

other than that they are prety much the same, had i known i would have purchased the kna-520 and loaded us maps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks that firmware updates from garmin site are the same for 510 and 520. I downloaded both of them and compare with fc utility. No differences in firmware at all.

gsx95 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3711", true); ,
What firmware version solved your problem with screen lock up? I got my g510 with 3.50 firmware and had the same problem like you. (I have an JDM Outback with factory screen). When I upgraded to 3.60, everything is ok, as I understand.

So, locks up problem was solved, but noaudio problem still exists. My friend there have tribeca and hi has an audio problem too.

So, I thing:
1. connections is ok, I don't thins that the problem is with connection
2. may be there is some additional signal, which come from navi to screen or radio and mute original sound while navi is speaking?
3. the output voltage is difference on G510/520 and oem navi. So screen doesn't understand that signal is coming and doesn't mute the signal

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
152 Posts
Andrew,

Which output volgate are you refering to(output to what)? Do you know what the voltage diffrences are? Would we simply use a resistor or something to make the voltages match?

·
Registered
29 Posts
confirm firmware 3.60 fixes lockup problem on the tribeca and legacy. i found the audio output wires on the garmin connector. the audio is there but is very low, i connected an inline headphone booster to the audio out and routed the nav voice to the aux in. With the booster set to max i was able to hear the navigation when connected to aux. so audio is there, now the trick is to get it to work with the radio.. so i can simply add a small two channel amp with speakers and be done with it, or figure it out some how.

still tinkering...

·
Registered
7 Posts
awd_envy said:
Andrew,

Which output volgate are you refering to(output to what)? Do you know what the voltage diffrences are? Would we simply use a resistor or something to make the voltages match?
First of all, I think, that it's necessary to compare audio signal level on subaru oem navi with g510/520 one. But I don't know how to do it yet.
I don't have so much experience with radioelectronics :) but I'll try to ask my friend, who knows more:), may be he will help

·
Registered
3 Posts
About Audio

Audio in KNA 510 is working very curiously. I'm thinking that the information L and R channels has a difference. It's working sometimes, then I'm driving back! I'm planning to make change L and R channels. But there is not problems with audio level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I made some tests.
First of all, I found sound pins on the kenwood 22pin jack. Then I used external speaker and heard voice speach at the very low level. Sound was on both left and right channels.
After that, I used my notebook with additional active sound system as sound source, so I could make any sound volume. I connected this sound to the kenwood 22pin jack with no success, I didn't heard this sound in the car speakers.
So, I have no idea what to do next at this time.
Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some updates.

FGZ – our OEM monitor
GX201 – our OEM radio
GX510 – navi unit

Some theory for begin. For example, we are listening to the radio and we are using oem navi. When we hear navi voice, it sounds like that: front speakers mute and we hear navi voice from them. Rear speakers play radio without interruption. So, OEM radio controls voice and mutes it when receives navi voice.

But If we take G510/520 as navi source, we don’t hear voice from navi.

I spend last Saturday while tried to understand what 's may be wrong.

Harness from FGZ to the GX201 has some pins interesting for us. It’s a navi mono input and a mute. If I send +5v to this mute pin I get total mute, so it’s not the same mute as I wrote above. If I send some sound/voice to the navi mono input, I don’t get mute and I don’t get this sound from the GX201.

Both harness (from G510 to FGZ and from FGZ to GX201) have RX/TX wire and devices use this wire to send some commands to each other.

GX201 should get some instructions to mute front speakers and pass there navi voice. GX201 could get this instructions only from FGZ. FGZ could get this instructions only from G510.

The problem is misunderstanding between G510 and FGZ. Navi unit should send some command data string along with voice to tell FGZ that there is a voice data. Monitor should forward this command to the audio unit.

Unfortunately, I don’t know why this happen. For me, I’ll try to do some modifications to GX201. If I put +5v to IC23 pin0, I’ll get front speakers mute and navi voice from there.

Any comments?

Regards,
Andrey

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that there is no problem between G510 and FGZ, because we can listen oem navi then we are using any mode of FGZ, excluding NAVI mode (audio. info, etc)! Or we can see the map on the screen without NAVI voice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
What a great thread! I'd love to see some screen shots of the new system. I'm really disappointed with the Subaru stock NAV system. I've used both Garmin and Magellan in the past and they surpass this system by far.

When we bought our Tribeca the Murano was a close second. The NAV on the Murano was way better so we were bummed to be stuck with the Subaru one. I doubt I'd ever go through the cost and installation process of switching the system out for this one. But if it's really good, $500 price range and easy to install I could be pursued in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts