Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been researching this forum for a little while trying to decide if I was going to buy my wife a Tribeca. The only other Subaru we have owned was a WRX and we loved it. We only sold it because it was to small for our growing family. We went from the WRX to an Xterra and then to a Murano which we loved. Then we had our third daughter and felt tight and wanted something with a third row. We shopped around and decided on an Acura MDX which has probably been the least exciting car weve owned but the most practical. It had plenty of room, it was reliable, and retained its value as we sold it with 96000 miles on it. So here I am... after searching and searching we were back to an MDX.
Well my wife and I are just hard headed enough to not want to buy the same thing weve already had and wanted something different. We always said we would get another Subaru so we looked at the Tribeca. We always buy slightly used cars so we dont take a hit on depreciation and get good rates through our credit union. So long story short we decided on an 06 B9 limited w/ nav and dvd. I found a great deal on one from Texas Direct on Ebay. We payed $15000.00 for it with 49000 miles which was below blue book trade value and way below the few we drove around here. So We made the trip to Texas (about a 7 hour drive from Mobile) and picked it up.

So, here I am the proud owner of a Subie again. I will start off with the positives. I love the fact that on the trip, there and back I did not see one Tribeca (unless it was the new model, then I may have mistaken it for a Chrystler minivan). Its what I missed about the WRX when we bought it, not many people down here drive Subarus. I also got plenty of looks just stopping at gas stations, people were'nt sure what it was. I love the funky front end, nav,dash layout, and gauges are great especially at night. That is one of the things that was so boring about the MDX, the dash was a confusing mixture of blandness. I feel like I am in a jet (which makes since considering Subarus history). The power is linear and although slightly lacking on the lower RPM range makes up for when you get the revs up. This satisfies my need for pretty power. Now for the rear passengers we have the DVD player and not much else; ie room. Here is my first complaint, I think Subaru could have added just a few inches here and there and would have had the perfect blend. We have 3 car seats and it is a tight squeeze. We basically feel like we bought a Murano with a toy 3rd row. I also wish they would have made the door panels out of textured ABS like the MDX. For one, the dent from my elbow from the drive back is still in the door panel. Also because we bought it used there are a few gashes in the rear door panels. I would rather the practical then luxury on that one. They also should have had a back up camera which I see they added in 07. The rear quarters get in the way of blind spot checking and backing up. With all the cool tech stuff they kind of dropped the ball by not having bluetooth or aux inputs for Ipods.

My finall thoughts....

I love the Beca', Its uniqness, Its techie designer interior, Its best of the best AWD, Its safety, Its an all around neat vehicle. Only time will tell if it will work well for a family hauller. We are still up in the air about the size. Thank you for putting together this forum I have really enjoyed reading others comments and opinions. Please feel free to comment or correct me if you feel I am off on any of this. These are just my honest opinions.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum...

Unfortunately your complaints are not uncommon, I think you hit the few major ones on the head. The third row really is quite useless for trying to put car seats back there, but I do believe the 2nd row to be bigger than a Murano's. I'd imagine you'll probably get better 3rd row useage in a year or 2 when the little ones can climb back there on their own. The MDX/Pilot and other 3rd row equipped CUVs do probably have a more functional 3rd row than the Tribeca...it's an unfortunate truth that the B9 simply isn't as big as the others. Although like you said, I too believe Subaru could have pushed the 3rd row back 3 more inches to really make the 3rd row useable and kept reasonable trunck space with all 3 rows up. I do think it will make for a good family hauler for 3 kids aged 3-8. As you mentioned, it's a PITA to fit 3 car seats in pretty much any car and the 3rd row is really only good for kids up to age 8-10 considering its actual size and the nimbleness required to get back there;) Having 3 older kids, I'd probably go to a minivan or "large" crossover (ie: Pilot, Acadia, CX-9 or *gasp* Highlander).

And as I think you already know...rear cam (w/ navi) and front aux input became standard on the 07+. There is also an ipod kit now, but it only lists 07+, not sure about 06 compatibility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kids

We drove the Pilot and It is also pretty boring but very practical. Our kids are 5,2, and 1. I agree it will probably work out better when they get a little older and can jump, bend, and twist ther way into the seats. Honestly my consern is the material on the door panels. Leather,vinyl? I worry it will show little shoe marks or get snagged like it already has. Speaking of... the sites I have found that sell oem panels for some reason the left is more expensive than the right? I was curious if anyone knows why. Thanks for your response and I wanted to add that although I did point out some negitive things I still love it and will try and customize it as much as we can to fit our needs. Ive read there is an imput for a back up camera on the nav screen and Im working on getting a bluetooth and Ipod interface. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
A few of your issues may have been addressed by getting an 08 at one of the Subaru dealer fire sales. The space issue is the same for all model years except they did put more play in the middle seat to allow access to the third row.

We are DINKs and thus the 3rd row is hardly used but it does work in a pinch for running 6-7 adults around. I would not take a family of 6 on a long driving vacation in it.

You got a good price on it and I do miss having the distinctive snout on mine. It would then match my Impreza and it does make it stand out. There are a fair amount of Tribecas on the roads up here in the NW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts