Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to remember the routine for getting the DTC codes to appear on the dash and I performed the wrong steps. I turned ignition on then pressed trip/odometer button 3 times then ignition off trip/odometer button three times then ignition on and trip/odometer button 3 times. Obviously not the correct procedure but the display did change to 5(or s) on. What did I inadvertently do?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. I know what the proper steps are now. What I was asking is what did the wrong steps do? They did something. I just don't know what.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I remember reading about S-on/off somewhere. Do you have the owner's manual?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry.... my bad. When you press the Odo/Trip button four times you go into DTC mode, when you press it three times, you go into the combination meter's self-diagnosis mode where it will self-test everything related to the combination meter, e.g. illumination levels; speed, tach, fuel and coolant temp sensors; gear and odometer displays; Sport Mode buzzers; etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,

Don't have my manual handy. Stored away in a moving box somewhere. I was very curious to know what I did so if you think its in there I might go dig it out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry.... my bad. When you press the Odo/Trip button four times you go into DTC mode, when you press it three times, you go into the combination meter's self-diagnosis mode where it will self-test everything related to the combination meter, e.g. illumination levels; speed, tach, fuel and coolant temp sensors; gear and odometer displays; Sport Mode buzzers; etc.
I did make the three vs. four push error on the odo button as well and googled that. It seemed like a diagnostic of all dash displays.

What I stumbled on was 'toggling the ignition switch and pressing the odo button' instead of 'toggling the light switch and pressing the odo button'. Still trying to figure out what I accessed. The odo display changed to "S-on". I was initially worried I changed something without knowing what!

·
Registered
703 Posts
When you turn your car on normally (before ignition), the speedometer & tachometer needles will "sweep" through the range and then return to zero. "S-on" indicates that this feature is on. (I thought this setting was part of the combination meter self-diagnostic, but it appears that it is a different mode accessed by toggling the ignition on/off.)

On the BRZ, the tach sweep is an indicator of the point where the shift indicator/buzzer will go on (telling the driver to upshift since the RPMs are getting too high)... since we do have a manual mode on the 5EAT, it's conceivable that this would be a similar indicator (perhaps it's the point where the transmission will upshift on its own); however, my tach sweeps all the way to 8000 RPM. Also, on the BRZ, the tach sweep will actually stop at the setpoint, whereas on the Tribeca, once it hits the maximum point, it immediately sweeps back to zero.

In short, I'm not sure if the tach and speedometer sweeps on the Tribeca are an indicator of something or simply a "self-test" of the meters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you turn your car on normally (before ignition), the speedometer & tachometer needles will "sweep" through the range and then return to zero. "S-on" indicates that this feature is on. (I thought this setting was part of the combination meter self-diagnostic, but it appears that it is a different mode accessed by toggling the ignition on/off.)

On the BRZ, the tach sweep is an indicator of the point where the shift indicator/buzzer will go on (telling the driver to upshift since the RPMs are getting too high)... since we do have a manual mode on the 5EAT, it's conceivable that this would be a similar indicator (perhaps it's the point where the transmission will upshift on its own); however, my tach sweeps all the way to 8000 RPM. Also, on the BRZ, the tach sweep will actually stop at the setpoint, whereas on the Tribeca, once it hits the maximum point, it immediately sweeps back to zero.

In short, I'm not sure if the tach and speedometer sweeps on the Tribeca are an indicator of something or simply a "self-test" of the meters.
Yes that must be it. I just went through it again and after the display changes you can scroll through 's-on' then 'i-on'. I am guessing "s"weep-on and "i"ndicator-on? My B9 has sport shift so I guess that applies even though this is an automatic trans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts