Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago my nav screen would turn pink or pinkish in color. The screen was fine, but it had a pink or purple looking hue to it. As I was driving it would occasionaly go back to normal. It ususually just changed or fixed itself when I'd turn off or restart the car, although It acted as though there some loose connections or something.

This past week it go worse. The screen would look all smashed to the left and black on the right 50% of the monitor. The backup camrea would show a huge black bar down the middle of the screen. The touch senstive areas where uneffected. I could touch the "Agree" button even though the screen was all jumbled and I could tell it would then display the map or whatever page was behind it. This combined with the pink hue was happening about 70% of the time I started the car.

I took the car in to get it checked out. They took one look at it and and basicly said it was a bad monitor unit. Apparently they've seen it happen before and also to a new car in their lot. They seemed to think it had something to do with cold weather, but I would in my own opinion disagree. My Tribeca is reguarly parked in an underground grarage thats not cold at all, however it did start when the weather started changing here in the midwest. I dunno.. All I care is they knew what it was a problem and they orderd a new Nav unit for me under warranty. I'm thankful for good subaru support.:tup:

I'll try and take a pic of the messed up screen before the dealer swaps it out later this week. I just wanted to post this up there incase another memeber has the same problem.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unfortunately I would tend to agree that it went bad due to the change in weather...LCDs in general aren't good in the cold or high humidity conditions.

I had a 32" LCD TV in my bedroom, and 2 winters in a row it went bad when we ran a humidifier in the room...luckily Samsung has a 15 month warranty (rather than 1 yr) and I got it fixed free both times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Huh, that's interesting. What year is your Tribeca? If this is a known issue you would think there's some sort of white paper on it. There should be something that addresses the normal operating temperature in the manual. What if you lived in Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. and owned a Tribeca. It would seem unfair to those people to have their monitor go bad because of extreme cold temperatures. The monitor should operate under the same temperature requirements as the car, which is presumably far greater then the limited range of a LCD display. I'm wondering how many other people have experienced this too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine seemed to be ok last year when it was -40C. Its supposed to go down to -37C tomorrow night, and my garage isn't heated. I'm not that concerned since it would be a warranty item for me but it it would suck if cold wrecks the lcd.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brien said:
Huh, that's interesting. What year is your Tribeca? If this is a known issue you would think there's some sort of white paper on it. There should be something that addresses the normal operating temperature in the manual. What if you lived in Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. and owned a Tribeca. It would seem unfair to those people to have their monitor go bad because of extreme cold temperatures. The monitor should operate under the same temperature requirements as the car, which is presumably far greater then the limited range of a LCD display. I'm wondering how many other people have experienced this too.
It's a 2007, that I've owned since new. It was fine last winter... not sure why it didnt like this one. I dont think they anticipate it happening, but apprently does happen to a few of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nav Screen/Monitor

I also have a 2007 Tribeca and the screen is doing the same thing yours was doing. What was your solution? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts