Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so below is my almost finish setup for media center. Well, alsmost because I'm still waiting for the remote to test and conect the MCE to the rear monitor as well (it's initially start from my last post here http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3610#post3610).

But that would be another story since US model got it ready to go so... quite easy to you there .:p

Please note that I'm not a good writer so please ask if you don't understand something....:eek:

Things needed :
1. Media center (MCE) : I use Mediagate MG25P, update the latest firmware 1.5.
2. IR extension (if you want a perfect setup)
3. Car power adapter.
4. Soldering stuffs and some wires.

Installation :

1. IR extension setup (for those who want a neat installation):

At the back of the MG-25P has 1 output for digital audio out and IR extension (same port). So if you use it in the

car, you can buy a IR extension or build one. Below is my DIY IR extension since it's quite easy to do if you are a

bit handy and don't mind to take sometime....

You need to buy an IR buffer receiver. It's a IR eye which has 3 pins out (signal, ground and power). It

can be found in any good electronic store. Go to www.dse.com.au and search for "IR buffer receiver" will get the

one that give you an idea what it looks like... (or here : http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/47d3a7c802b528e02740c0a87f9c073b/Product/View/Z1955 fairly cheap and simple.

But if you happen to have any old VCR, CD player, DVD player which has IR remote control and lying a round

somewhere in the garage or in the bin. Check to see if it has 3 pin IR eye then it should work. I took one from an

old VCR and it worked perfectly.

Buy a wire which has stereo jack at both ends (similar to the jack on the headphone : has 2 rubber rings). Or you

can do one, just buy the jack and cables. Cut off 1 end and trip off the cover, so you will have 3 wires out to

connect to the pins of the IR eye.

Don't just solder the wires to the IR pins yet... this is a fun par though. Normally if you have the IR eye in

front of you, pins down, then from left is signal pin, ground is middle pin and right pin is for power. On the

stereo jack, the top of the jack is signal, middle is power and the inside is ground. So you can have a multimetter

to test and connect the correct wire to the correct pin of the IR eye.

For my MG 25P, it's not the case, it didn't work for the first attemp so I had to swap the wires around the pins of

the IR eye. So if you are luckly, it can work right at the first try, otherwise with 3 wires and 3 pins, you have 6

swaps to make it work eventually. That's why I said don't solder the wires to the pins yet, just clip them

temporarily over the pins of the IR eye, then turn on the MCE, plug the other end of the cable into the IR port at

the back unit, test to see, if it works, and then solder the wires and pins together. Make sure to have good

insulation in between so they don't touch each other.

2. Feeding video signal to the front monitor :

Remove the front cover of the SAT NAV monitor, unscrew 6 screws and took the monitor out, use a single RCA cable

and connect to the yellow video in at the back of the monitor. The other end should come to the below and goes to

the center console so it can connect to MCE later. It's up to you how to hide the wire since all the plastic covers

under passenger side and driver side are easy to remove (pop out only). If you want to control the MCE directly via

its IR then this step can be done here. Put back the monitor in, secure screws. Take the IR extension cable which you build/buy in step 1 and

snap it somewhere on screen with double side tape and make sure when you put the cover back, the eye is visible to

receive the signal from remote control (have a look at my photos below).

Install the cover back in.

3. Car power adapter:

The MG 25P requires 5V 2A power so it's quite hard to find the car power adapter with such spec. It won't work with

normal Car power adapter in USB type (even the same 5V power) so don't bother to modify the plug to fit the

unit. I did try a couple of phone adapters with no good result. I just got lucky to find one in the warehouse store

in my area, its spec is 5V and 1A output, but it works peerfectly so I guess other adapters may have not enough

current output (phone or iPod charger is about 500 - 800mA). And it's only 10 bucks so if anyone's struggling to

find one, let me know and I'm happy to help ( unless they're sold out).

Or you can buy a power inverter 12V to 110V/240V to use with your current main adapter. BUt to me, it's such a

waste of power just to convert 12V DC to 110V/240V AC and then get it back to 5V to play the unit though.

4. Wiring the video cable and IR extension cable to the center console :

In the center console ther are 2 power outlets and one audio AUX in. I managed to remove one of the power outlet

and get the cables through here. So there is no drilling involve though. You can undo it later if you ever wanna

sell the car and keep the MCE, just make sure to keep the power plug to put it back on. The other power outlet

should feed to the MCE with an adapter. All the photos below will get you some ideas about keeping the MCE inside

the center console. Of course you can put it somwhwere else, i.e glove box... but I found this is the best location

for me since I can take out the unit to update, and watch it on LCD at home sometimes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Excellent work, I have a few questions.

Are you saying we have a spare video and audio input in the back of our Nav screen.

If so the only thing I would be interested in doing is adding a TV tuner. Can this be done also and how could I do it. And if it can will you be able to watch it on the rear screen as well.

Again great job, I wish I had your skills.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hum said:
Excellent work, I have a few questions.

Are you saying we have a spare video and audio input in the back of our Nav screen.

If so the only thing I would be interested in doing is adding a TV tuner. Can this be done also and how could I do it. And if it can will you be able to watch it on the rear screen as well.

Again great job, I wish I had your skills.
Yes, there is a spare Video in at the back of NAV monitor. So if you wanna add in the TV tuner, it's just similar as this MCE, but you use the tuner instead. I'm still waiting for remote control arrival to confirm if I can feed the video signal to rear screen so wait and see... (hint: if you wanna have TV tuner, try some MCE using 3.5 hard drive, I believe some have built-in TV tuner as well...)

It's not that hard as it look... just need a bit patience though... :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magic Marker said:
Nice job :)
Too bad we didn't get the nav.
Hey, if you don't have the NAV monitor, just wonder what is on that though ? just a plastic cover ? You can buy a digital photo frame and fit it in there (it should have video in as well), just find the good size for it... quite cheap (about 80 bucks here...)... or you can buy an after market SAT NAV, much cheaper than Subaru things....:)

We have SAT NAV as a standard feature here though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here in the US on non-Navi models we get a convential LED "multi-information" screen which can only show radio text, time, temp, and some basic trip computer info. It's not an LCD screen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hum said:
How do you switch between video screens?
Press the audio button on the control board. Everytime you press, it will switch from rear DVD (if you have DVD playing at rear)--> Video in (Aux in) -->CD info (6 stack CD info)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Overhead DVD player on non US Tribecas

TribecaAussie said:
Yes, there is a spare Video in at the back of NAV monitor. So if you wanna add in the TV tuner, it's just similar as this MCE, but you use the tuner instead. I'm still waiting for remote control arrival to confirm if I can feed the video signal to rear screen so wait and see... (hint: if you wanna have TV tuner, try some MCE using 3.5 hard drive, I believe some have built-in TV tuner as well...)

It's not that hard as it look... just need a bit patience though... :p
Hi TribecaAussie! I just bought a 2011 Tribeca in Argentina with rear entertainment system (overhead dvd player). This model is not equipped with rear auxiliary input for video and audio signals. Furthermore the remote control does not have a VIDEO button beside de DVD/CD as in the US version. In my older 2008 Tribeca (without rear DVD) I fed a video signal into the front monitor so I could watch videos. I have not tried it in the new Tribeca yet. My question is: if you feed a video signal through the RCA video connector in the back of the front monitor will it show in the rear monitor too?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts