Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just 2 days before our vacation (which included driving the Tribeca) we have a problem.

I loaded a new cd and was listening to it in the vehicle with the key turned to Acc and the door open. Suddenly the sound cut out, the center display (nav screen) went blank and I could smell a strong burning smell. Also affected....the climate control displays on the dials are blank...the dome lights don't work, the keyless entry doesn't work, the homelink garage door button isn't working, the mirror lights....the puddle lights....all out.

The car starts and runs fine, the instrument cluster and odometer and everything is fine, the power windows and locks work (but not remotely). the power seats work...the A/C and climate control works....you just can't see what the displays say.

So I will investigate tomorrow but I doubt I can get a fix before the trip!

Also, my bumper to bumper warranty expired 3 months ago :(

Any suggestions? I assume from the burning smell that there is a short...or a blown fuse? I hope I don't need a whole new computer or something! I have the feeling it will be expensive :(

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I'm no expert about such things, but the first thing that popped into my mind was the fuse. So try checking all the fuses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brien said:
Well I'm no expert about such things, but the first thing that popped into my mind was the fuse. So try checking all the fuses.
You are correct...last night I found a thread where someone had the same problem and traced it to a fuse.....20A fuse that is labeled "backup" I noticed there were spare fuses on the underside of the fuse box cover. I replaced that fuse and everything came back to like. It seems to be working fine now.

It has been literally bathed in salt water lately....conditions have created super salt saturated water on all the roads. The vehicle is parked in a heated garage and seems to stay wet inside and outside. Perhaps these damp conditions created a short somewhere.

I bought some spare fuses just in case.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good to hear it was resolved quickly, and seemingly inexpensively.

I just finished an East Coast road trip with mine, and did the car preparatory run around beforehand as well. I would have been sweating bullets if this would have popped up 2 days prior.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to let people know. Since fixing the blown fuse...I figured out what happened. All but one of my puddle lights are out...It seems some nice salty water got in around the puddle lights and shorted them out. This caused the breaker to go. Last year I changed one of the puddle lights that had gone out and the new one didn't come with any of the double sided tape that you need to seal the skirt back on with. So I tried to re-use the old tape.

Since 3 lights are blown, I guess it's cheaper to buy a whole new puddle light kit....least then I have new tape!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just noticed this thread today, sorry for the late response.
We had a similar problem, water got into one of the puddle lights and shorted electrical circuit. My wife called me in panic and told me that car is on fire. She opened the car doors (activating puddle lights) and there was a huge smoke coming out of the puddle lights area. I told her to get into the car and put it our of the garage, so the car did not burn down the house, then advised her to put it in the middle of the street and wait for me. I hoped that car will burn down and we will be done with it. (Un)Fortunately, once she put the ignition out, after few minutes, smoke went out. Puddle lights and electrical harness burned and blown the same fuse.
I am glad that same problem happened to someone else. I will call Subaru tomorrow and inform them of the serious problem with electrical system for puddle lights (as usual our friendly Subaru dealer did noting about it). Usually car companies should care about issues like this.

I will let you know about Subaru response.

Marek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar problem

Im driving the 07 limited with nav and DVD. I recently contacted the Subaru main customer service line to discuss issues with my headlights. I have had them replaced twice now in the four years I have owned the car, along with the taillights once and an interior light as well. The reccomendation was that I have the electrical system inspected And get back to the rep about the findings. I have an appointment next Monday.
Yesterday the smell of a burning hotdog cart filled my car. It seems one of my puddle lights burned and melted. The whole strip will have to be pulled off since there is no separate fuse for them.
Basically I'm just wondering what the outcome was with Subaru and if anyone else has had similar issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puddle lights on fire

Our 2007 B9 Tribeca's puddle light (front passenger side) was on fire...yes there was a flame. Even after turning off the ignition and dousing water on the plastic to keep it from melting, the light continued to smoke with a noticeable hissing sound. I disengaged the negative terminal on the car battery as I was concerned about further damage to the vehicle or worse.
In reading this forum, clearly others have had similar incidents. I plan to call Subaru to lodge a formal complaint as to why there was not a recall for an electrical short that could easily have severe ramifications to the vehicle, passengers and surrounding property.

·
Registered
1 Posts
major electrical problems

So I have also had the same exact electrical problems. The navigation goes out and the climate control lights are out the lights are all on in the interior of the car and the display of the vehicle shows that all the doors are open although they are not I have tried to replace the fuses inside the car that are the navigation fuses several times and I have also tried to replace the backup 20 fuse several times it seems to work for a short while and then goes back to having the same issues the weird part is today while i was driving it all of this happened I tried to replace both the interior nav fuse and the backup 20 fuse under the hood and nothing helped then I am sitting in my car not moving at all car isn't on accesory or anything and then all of the sudden the stereo cd thing makes a noise like you put a cd in a turned on the car and it was all fine and working. Any help would be great thanks so much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this exact issue come up yesterday. The first thing that came to mind was a fuse, and I checked the Radio/NAV fuse, followed by most of the others in the fuse box beneath the steering column. I was frustrated when I found that all of them were fine.
Essential functions were working great but nav, radio, climate temp screens, homelink, and all interior lights had no power.
Thanks to Tup for mentioning the "Backup" fuse in the main fusebox. Now to apologize for being grumpy last night and to see about recall work and replacement LED for puddle lamps.

Anybody know the replacement bulb type? I only have one out, and will do some weatherproofing while in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love this web site/forum. Thanks to you pioneers that went down this path already. I had the same problem with nav/radio/ac lights, searched for Navigation Out, found this thread and found the 20 amp BACKUP fuse in the main box/engine compartment. Problem went away, I hope it doesn't come back!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help needed with Radio, navigation and AC instruments display not working.
Key fob does not work and shows that the rear doors are ajar.
I already check the Backup fuse and it is good.
I took it to the dealer and they can not find the problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If the dealer can't find the problem I doubt we will through the internet, lol. But seriously, what kind of a dealer did you take it to, there is no way any tech isn't competent enough to follow the troubleshooting flowchart in the FSM.

Two things come to mind, the Body Integrated Unit is bad or shorted out, or the fuse is. That is the only common component in all those problems. Check all the fuses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts