Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been looking for some how to's on the transmission fluid and front and rear differential fluid changes. I haven't really found anything created for Tribecas.

Would something made for an Outback or Forester be similar or even the same for a Tribeca?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is the info that i've gathered so far from other forums.

ATF:
Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission -atf-hp < Only found this and bought it at the dealer along with a washer.
IDEMITSU ATF HP
Castrol Transmax J
Pennzoil ATF-J*

Front and Rear Differential Oil
API classification GL-5
AMSOIL SVG Severe Gear 75W90 / Castrol Syntec / Valvoline Durablend part synthetic

Differential, Front - 2.5 pints > I ended up using Walmart's Supertech Synthetic 75w90 ($4.75/quart) with no problems after 1 weekend.
Differential, Rear - 1.7 pints > i used Valvoline Synthetic 75w90 ($12/quart) with no problems after 1 weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I guess the How To's that I'm looking for don't exist yet. I found a how to on how to replace a cabin filter on a Tribeca:
http://www.scoobymods.com/cabin-air-filter-aka-t8081.html?t=8081

I just did my rear differential fluid change. I don't think the previous owner of my Tribeca did the 30k mile maintenance. At 45k, the old fluid was really black and and stunk.

I'm doing ATF and front diff next. I'll put together a list of tools that are needed specifically for the Tribeca and put some documentation together.

The cabin filter was easy, my fingers and nails are a bit sore from those plastic screws. Only needed a screwdriver for this.

Along with a ratchet, these are the bits that I needed. All purchased from Autozone:

10mm hex socket bit - Rear Differential
T50 Torx Bit Socket - Transmission Fluid
T70 Torx Bit Socket - Front Differential

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Abaton6 said:
Did you do the headlight fluid change? I hear the headlights get dimmer and dimmer if you neglect this.
No, but I have renewed the uranium core of the flux capacitor. That really helped with fuel economy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rcekstrom said:
How about the atf change? How did that go for you? Will any synthetic atf-j work?
I used genuine atf-hp from subaru, I got mine from subarupartsforyou.com and picked it up since it's only 15 miles away from me.

Not so sure about atf-j, though I've read in some other forums that our trannies are made by Jatco and are the same as some Nissans.

·
Registered
66 Posts
08 Tribeca:

To change the front and rear diff fluids, 2l of 75-90 Synthetic filled both diffs. Start with the rear, you can "squeeze" the oil into the fill hole using the pointy nozzle supplied with the oil, no hose etc required. I had none left over from the 2 bottles.

A T-70 Torx ($10 at Canadian Tire) is needed for the front diff drain plug. The rear diff uses a 10mm hex bit for both fill and drain plugs.

The transmission drain is an 8mm hex bit. I drained 3.75 litres from the transmission. Refill with the Subaru fluid.

For giggles, I went searching for the transmission filter. Remove the 4 plastic attachment plugs from the plastic cover in front of the left front wheel, beside the belly pan. Pull the cover down and dislodge it from the bottom of the front fender. The filter (I didn't change it) is located just above the w-washer bottle, and easily accessible. No need to remove the front bumper.

That is all.

·
Registered
794 Posts
So, is the drain plug on the transmission pan T50, or is it 8 mm hex? Don't want to start a new thread (and too lazy to crawl under the car), better bump a good old one.
5/10/13: Aftermarket part catalogs identify the tool type for the 5EAT drain plug as TorxPlus TP50.

·
Registered
794 Posts
OK, I got under the car with a light. The six sides of the cavity appear slightly concave, which is consistent with it being TorxPlus. TorxPlus is easier to confuse with straight hexagon (Allen) than Torx, and, apparently, a 8 mm Allen fits in there very well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just crawled under to confirm, my 08 definetly uses a hex, with nice square edges. Perhaps yours was once a hex and has turned into a torx lookalike by someone using an ill-fitting hex?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine just turned 60K and hasn't been touched. Others, notably nuKe, have reported a Torx head (Torx bits do fit TP fasteners). His is a 2008 model and mine is a 2006. Also, both types of driver bits were mentioned on ledacygt.com, which was one of the reasons for my inquiry. I will post again after changing the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That 8mm hex looks VERY small inside the big drain plug. Perhaps Jatco /Subaru designed it that way to discourage over-torque on the plug. My old Jag uses a 30mm socket to remove the engine drain plug, many have had the nightmare of some monkey with a 3/4" ratchet reefing the bolt and damaging the pan.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just to confirm that a TP50 bit fits perfectly into the AT drain plug on a 2006 model. The wrench cavity has a rounded chamfer at the opening, so the star shape is not clearly showing at the flat surface of the plug. But the corners are cut deeper than the sides. You have to hold the plug in your hand, in a good light, to see it. I would fully expect a 8 mm hex bit to fit there too.
Also, confirming that the crush ring on the AT drain plug is the same as those on the rear differential (yet the rear diff. plugs take a 10 mm hex driver, go figure).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.