Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 Tribeca in January 2014. It only had 26,000 miles on it and looked new. I don't know the service history. I had the 30,000 maintenance done on it right after I bought it. It is now 7 years old. Given the low millage, should I be having the maintenance done based on age, rather than millage? For example, the spark plugs should be changed at 60,000 miles. Should I go ahead and have them changed since the vehicle is 7 years old or wait until I reach 60,000 miles?

·
Registered
703 Posts
FSM indicates service at 30 mos /30k miles, 60 mos / 60k miles, 90/90, 120/120, etc., whichever occurs first.

In your case, it would probably be safe to change the plugs now and (optional) the wheel bearings inspected (if they weren't at the 30k service). It's possible that the previous owner changed them at 60 mos. before you purchased, but without knowing the service history, it's hard to tell without pulling the plugs out (at which point, you might as well change them any way).

You can omit the rest of the 60/60 service since your 30/30 was essentially your 60/60 minus plugs. Going forward - starting count from the 30/30 service date/mileage - plan on maintenance intervals every 30 months or 30k miles going forward, (i.e. your next service would be Jul 2016 or 56,000 miles). If you replace your plugs now, those can stay on a separate 60mo/60kmi schedule.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes - it's both mileage and time. But technically you have room to use your head here too, yo'ure out of warranty and aren't forced to do anything.

I can understand replacing plugs - it's low cost over 8 years of life already, so no big deal. But they would be the last thing I'd be concerned about.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave the plugs. EZ plugs are robust and I routinely throw away excellent looking plugs when they're replaced on schedule. I've never yet seen an EZ with cylinder misfires due to plugs or pulled EZ plugs that showed significant wear.

30k/30 months is really early for brake fluid - I've never seen brake fluid cause issues under 60,000 miles (actually more like 100,000). I consider that a 60k replacement item on an average vehicle with no oddball history - accidents, sat a long time, major work done to vehicle, etc. It can go 100k if the vehicle is racking up a lot of miles quickly.

I'd be more worried about the serpentine pulley bearings, those probably have a much higher statistically significant chance of causing issues than anything on the 30k list except maybe the air filter and oil.

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 i'm all about changing ATF and front diff fluid - those are big bits doing some serious work and have $$$$$ failure modes orders of magnitude greater than any other system besides the engine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'll also side wih grossgary and the others who've replied - it's both mileage and chronologic age.

With age, also give anything that's rubber, anywhere, a quick once-over.

Given the low miles, the tires may be factory - if you haven't already, inspect for signs of dry-rot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts