Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any problem with their beca burning too much oil? I have an 08 and have been to subie for two services so far. I've been realizing that I have to pour 1-2 qts in everytime before the 3 months/3700 mile service. I just checked my oil the other day and its only been 2 months since my service but i'm already under the low marker on the dipstick. I've driven for less than 1500 miles. Anyone have the same problem?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have an 08, been for 3 oil changes so far, never had to add anything, the dipstick always shows pretty much the same level, right near the full line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own an 08 with about 9000 miles and am experiencing what sounds to be like the same issue.

After about 3000 miles after my last oil change I noticed that my oil didn't even measure on the dip stick, so I added 2 quarts. I then took it in for servicing and they told me that I over filled the oil by a couple quarts.

They explained to me that I should be checking my oil after letting the vehicle sit for a while because the oil was still in the engine and hadn't returned to the pan yet. This dealership must have seen several people like me before because they had a pretty quick answer. I sure hope they're right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the oil after it was parked for a few hours so that should've been the right measurement. I would only guess they don't fill up with enough when I bring it in for service because I never really check after the service which I should. Hard to imagine that would happen since they do this everyday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
our tribeca used dino oil for about 28k and we recently swapped to pennzoil platinum 5w30. After 4k miles, the oil on the dipstick is still clean and have only lost about a 1/4 off of the dipstick.. I'm probably going to change it soon and run the next running of PP until 5k miles then do a Used Oil Analysis on it.:tup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
One thing to make sure when you check your oil is that the car is on a level surface. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I see this happen a lot with my customers checking their own oil. You would be surprised how different a dipstick can read when the car is at a slight angle.

My B9 uses about 1/2 qt in 6,000 miles which is pretty normal. I'm running 5W30 Amsoil.

·
449 Posts
I just changed the oil again the other day on our Tribeca. One thing you want to do is check the oil on the dipstick after you change it. I know it's suppose to take about 6 quarts with a filter but mine seems to take more than that to bring it up to full. I'm sure my garage floor is level (I've checked) and the dipstick on Subarus seem to be a bugger to read no matter what. Still it seems mine took almost 7 quarts to bring it to the full line. So long story short, don't assume the right amount is filled when you get a change. Check the level yourself otherwise you might think you are burning oil and you aren't. I've also had a Blackstone Oil analysis done which is also a good idea. With all my scoobies I found it best to check the oil after it's been sitting overnight. Pull the dipstick out and read it. The oil has settled and will be at the right level to read it. It will also be cold and more likely to cling to the dipstick so you can see it easier than the hot oil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with resloc. I don't think that the dip stick is located in the center on the oilpan. I'm sure its at the lowest point of the pan, but not the center. My driveway is sloped (to shed rain away from the house) and I will get the low reading pointing in one direction, and high in the other. Readings are off if the car is off level especially left to right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts