Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I have an '08 Tribeca that I bought slightly used in '08. The car runs completely fine and I have no real complaints other than these two items:

1) If the car is on an incline and I put it in reverse there is a loud klink noise. Just one loud klink. Loud enough to startle people around the car as we are leaving someone's driveway. The cheap workaround is to put the parking break on before turning the car off when we first arrive. So I assume this has something to do with the brake caliper, but I really don't know. Any similar issues? Would this be viewed as a warranty defect since it is clearly a defect as I have been in many other cars that don't do this.

2) The A/C stinks when it is ran. Smells like a moldy type smell. I've found some things online talking about mold growing on some part of some part that I know nothing about. Is this a warranty issue? Is this something I can fix on my own with a cheap kit and little effort?

I appreciate any help that is provided. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
I have #1 in my 09.
What did the dealer tell you.

tandylacker said:
Hello...

I have an '08 Tribeca that I bought slightly used in '08. The car runs completely fine and I have no real complaints other than these two items:

1) If the car is on an incline and I put it in reverse there is a loud klink noise. Just one loud klink. Loud enough to startle people around the car as we are leaving someone's driveway. The cheap workaround is to put the parking break on before turning the car off when we first arrive. So I assume this has something to do with the brake caliper, but I really don't know. Any similar issues? Would this be viewed as a warranty defect since it is clearly a defect as I have been in many other cars that don't do this.

2) The A/C stinks when it is ran. Smells like a moldy type smell. I've found some things online talking about mold growing on some part of some part that I know nothing about. Is this a warranty issue? Is this something I can fix on my own with a cheap kit and little effort?

I appreciate any help that is provided. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
You should always use your parking brake when parking on an incline. Just using the transmission to hold the car can damage the tranny. Myself and my wife both learned that the hard way.
I had a klinking/clunking noise for a few months from my 08 (taking off the parking brake, shifting into forward/reverse, and when pulling away from a stop), and the dealer/service "could not replicate the concern". Finally they found out that there were loose axle nuts. They tightened them, telling me that they were up to spec, but they agreed the klinking sound could be unnerving, and it's been much better. I'm not really sure what axle nuts are:confused: , but whatever they did worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Put PARKING brake on before you shift it from D TO P ON incline.

I have to take my vehicle in again for front and rear clinking/clunk when shifting into D/R and hitting gas pedal you hear 2 sounds one from front and one from rear. Then you wont hear it again till you shift into d/r and go again. always 2 sounds.

AXLE NUTS, service dealer mechanic could not figure it out and said has to call subaru on that one due to axle nuts torqued to proper spec.

Is this a normal variant on all new TRIBECAS IS MY BIG QUESTION that at this time no one can really answer?


INCLINE
gags77 said:
You should always use your parking brake when parking on an incline. Just using the transmission to hold the car can damage the tranny. Myself and my wife both learned that the hard way.
I had a klinking/clunking noise for a few months from my 08 (taking off the parking brake, shifting into forward/reverse, and when pulling away from a stop), and the dealer/service "could not replicate the concern". Finally they found out that there were loose axle nuts. They tightened them, telling me that they were up to spec, but they agreed the klinking sound could be unnerving, and it's been much better. I'm not really sure what axle nuts are:confused: , but whatever they did worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
LORE BECA said:
Put PARKING brake on before you shift it from D TO P ON incline.

I have to take my vehicle in again for front and rear clinking/clunk when shifting into D/R and hitting gas pedal you hear 2 sounds one from front and one from rear. Then you wont hear it again till you shift into d/r and go again. always 2 sounds.

AXLE NUTS, service dealer mechanic could not figure it out and said has to call subaru on that one due to axle nuts torqued to proper spec.

Is this a normal variant on all new TRIBECAS IS MY BIG QUESTION that at this time no one can really answer?


INCLINE
sounds like no one here can really answer whether this is normal or not. just not enough input from 08+ owners.

i can say that i don't have this issue on my 09. also, i always use my parking brake when i park the car whether i'm on an incline or not. just don't like the idea of the weight of the vehicle being held in place by the tranny. doesn't seem like a good idea to me. of course, this doesn't mean that i won't ever have the issue though...especially since we don't know what it really is or what's causing it.

i hope you guys get the problem diagnosed and resolved. keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Like mentioned above when your parked on an incline you should put the parking brake on then shift to park from drive or reverse. The "clinking" your experiencing sounds like it is the parking gear being under load of the weight of the car. Putting the parking brake on first puts the load of the car onto the brake and the park gear of the transmission will not clunk when you shift.

Go ahead and find a hill and give it a try.

The only thing that will happen if you keep using your parking gear on a hill is that the teeth of the gear will become worn and you will have more slack when you put the car in park. Think slight "roll".

BTW I have an 06 and it does this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Klink is not parking on a hill, klink is when I PUT IN IN GEAR WHETHER REVERSE OR DRIVE AND HIT ACCELERATOR. I HEAR 2 KLINKS ONE IN FRONT AND ONE IN REAR of car.

I am not new to the rodeo when it comes to parking on inclines after 20 vehicles of all sorts.
rcekstrom said:
Like mentioned above when your parked on an incline you should put the parking brake on then shift to park from drive or reverse. The "clinking" your experiencing sounds like it is the parking gear being under load of the weight of the car. Putting the parking brake on first puts the load of the car onto the brake and the park gear of the transmission will not clunk when you shift.

Go ahead and find a hill and give it a try.

The only thing that will happen if you keep using your parking gear on a hill is that the teeth of the gear will become worn and you will have more slack when you put the car in park. Think slight "roll".

BTW I have an 06 and it does this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
LORE BECA said:
Klink is not parking on a hill, klink is when I PUT IN IN GEAR WHETHER REVERSE OR DRIVE AND HIT ACCELERATOR. I HEAR 2 KLINKS ONE IN FRONT AND ONE IN REAR of car.

I am not new to the rodeo when it comes to parking on inclines after 20 vehicles of all sorts.
Sorry my post was directed to the OP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Well, even though the dealership told me they were up to spec as they were (clinking and all), tightening the axle nuts worked for me. I wonder if they're made to be a bit loose? We hated that sound...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Well they replaced a leaking front strut which was not the cause of the sound.
There is no TSB and tech checked: breaks, parking break, differentials and axle nuts with everything to spec and no problem.

Sound can be recreated and is still there ONLY when shifting into D,R and hitting accelerator there are 2 clunks/clicks. One is in the front and the other in rear.

If you put it in reverse and hit gas you hear rear first and then front, If you put it in drive you hear front and split second in rear under load of acceleration as in incline or faster then normal take off. This is noticed ONLY when you first put it in gear. After that you wont hear anything like that no matter how fast or slow stop and go I do. It does when warm or cold so temp is no issue.

If SUBARU tech and Subaru corp don't know what it is, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this in the 08 and newer TRIBECA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
My clunk is still present as described above and was told by delayer that allot of the TRIBECAS do it, they say they don't know what it could be after tightening up axle nuts, and checking all the breaks.

Not good and very frustrating in a one year old vehicle, clunk has been there since 3rd month of ownership.

If anyone has a dealer who has an idea, please ask and tell me?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top