Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
But he does not yet own it, right?;)

A used Tribeca provides immense value that is exceptionally hard to beat.

However, as many vehicles, it has its annoying features. Mpg is not high on the list, but range and surprisingly tight--if sufficient--leg room up front are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great Thread

Hi,

Just wanted to say that maybe this thread should be a sticky note. I have recently purchased a pre-owned 2009 Tribeca and have found all of the information in this thread very useful.

Thank you everyone,

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my Tribeca a few weeks ago off of a dealer in NY. Unlike you my budget was less than 8k and I had to have 08+ because I didn't like the B9 look as much as the newer one. (personal taste).

Subaru has a reputation for being reliable and living a long life if taken care of. On my 05 outback I had zero issues so naturally I felt the same would be with the Tribeca.

I picked up my Tribeca for 6k with 150k miles. Only reason I went for the high milage was carfax showed the first owner in Indiana had put 50k miles on it in one year which had to be highway therefore less wear on car. Second owner had it for 1.5 years in Kentucky and put on something like 40k miles. Again probably all highway.

But even with doing my due diligence and having my independent auto shop take a look at the car I still had to do some stuff.

I am ordering a transmission control valve body today which part alone is $736. I also don't know if that's the end of the work it will need.

Truth is all used cars bring the unknown along with it, and this is no different. But it drives like a beast, is stunning inside and out, and I'm in love with mine. Personally I don't think you have to be too concerned with milage if the car was taken care of.

But I do wish people on here would sometimes calm me down and tell me it's all going to be OK, because heck I just bought this thing and already I'm pumping in expensive parts.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It is going to be okay! It's just a car, and some money, not cancer.

That said, I haven't seen enough information that has isolated the valve body other than reading the code. A trip to the dealer and paying for their full diagnostic fee would have been prudent, and hopefully that is what happened.

Tom

·
Registered
771 Posts
But I do wish people on here would sometimes calm me down and tell me it's all going to be OK, because heck I just bought this thing and already I'm pumping in expensive parts.
I apologize for all for not calming you down. However, you frankly scared us with the statements like "I wanted this car so badly", "about fifteen min after driving it off lot, I suddenly had a Jerk and the following lights came on", " Help me I just spent more than I wanted"

I think to all of us this seemed like classic impulse buy decision that went badly.

You did not sound like someone loaded with cash who can easy absorb possible costly transmission or engine issues.

Yes, every car is fixable with right tools, parts, and money.

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3477

·
Registered
837 Posts
Personally at that mileage I would look into a used transmission with low mileage, just remember to change the transmission filter as well. Which should be fun all on its own, lol.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts