Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to drive up to Boston for work. I was trying to eekkk out as much MPG out of it as possible. She was all filled up with Premium and I reset the trip-odometer. I did my best to hover around 70-75 mph at around 2500rpms. I was able to get up to 24.9 mpg via the computer. I just couldn't get into the 25mpg.

On the way home, I couldn't wait to go home so I was driving between 75-80 and I only got ~23.4 mpg.

Summary:
500 miles round trip
93 Oct fills
70-75mph one way
75-80 the other way

·
Registered
28 Posts
That was impressive, but I wonder if the computer is a bit optimistic in general? Have you compared with manual calculation when you fill her up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having been in business for many years, I keep detailed records of all my automobile expenditures. After having driven 17,549 miles, I have consumed 864.5 gallons of fuel. That averages out to 20.3 MPG. I estimate that, on average, 60% of my driving is highway and 40% city, depending on months where I stay in town or am on the road for long distances. While at a gas station, I spoke with a young lady who drove a Ford Expedition and she told me she gets 9 MPG, so I'm quite content with getting more than twice that. I use 91 Octane when in Canada and 93 in the US due to local availability. If I am in an area where gas prices are prohibitively expensive, I'll temporarily resort to 87 or 89. I don't do it often enough to report any empirical evidence relating to performance or consumption.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'll agree...our overall average is pretty much right on 20mpg and we run regular 87 octane. On the highway, the best mpg I've seen is 25 (manually calculated) when I drove home from visiting my parents in a pouring rain which limited my speed to 55:eek2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
snork said:
I'll agree...our overall average is pretty much right on 20mpg and we run regular 87 octane. On the highway, the best mpg I've seen is 25 (manually calculated) when I drove home from visiting my parents in a pouring rain which limited my speed to 55:eek2:
Yes, I've noticed that the slower speeds yield better gas mileage :D. But then, the Tribeca likes to run 75-78mph on the freeway during good weather.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am getting 24mpg mixed city and highway on this tank vs. normally about 18 to 20.

Only difference? We filled up at the Red Robin that advertises zero ethanol, 100% pure gasoline. What a difference! Amazing. I forgot what real gas smelled like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Highway use with 93 octane usually yields between 23-25 mpg going 70-75 with cruise. I love driving from a gas station to the highway at the beginning of a trip and see that mileage climb climb climb! My personal best was 27.3 going 60-65 on a slight down grade with the wind at my back for most of the trip. I was pumped!

City use is pretty much a crapshoot as far as mileage goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of your milage is consistant with mine. I travel at 72 on the highway.
Clean roof: nothing on it. 25 to 27 mpg
Yakima rack, with deflector: 23 to 25 mpg
Put the pod full of ski equipment: 21mpg or worse.

Around town is 16 to 20
When I tried the 89 octane fuel, the milage was around 22mpg on the highway. But, it always seemed to be shifting. Even on level ground.
91 octane, buy some boost if you need to........

·
Registered
25 Posts
evlB9 said:
All of your milage is consistant with mine. I travel at 72 on the highway.
Clean roof: nothing on it. 25 to 27 mpg
Yakima rack, with deflector: 23 to 25 mpg
Put the pod full of ski equipment: 21mpg or worse.

Around town is 16 to 20
When I tried the 89 octane fuel, the milage was around 22mpg on the highway. But, it always seemed to be shifting. Even on level ground.
91 octane, buy some boost if you need to........
Evl - I'm really interested in which Yakima mounting system and which Thule box you are using as well as whether or not the lift gate hits the box when open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is a Thule Frontier pod that we got for our 03 Outback. The lift gate opens just fine with some adjustments to the mounting points of the Pod. The pod is old enough that it has just holes in it for mounting.(I think that I have 40 holes in it from various mountings on various vehicles) It hangs over the windshield some, but the gate opens fine.

The Yakima rack is my old one from a 01 Escape. Modified to fit into the mounting points of the 06 Becca factory rack. I had to drill another set of holes in the uprights of the rack. But it screws down nice and tight.

I had used the factory cross bars for 3 years and it worked just fine with the pod. Except: even with my smallish hands it was hard to get them under the pod to attach it. Especialy when it is 5 degrees out and you want to leave for Colorado.

I'll try to find some photos of the combination and post them. I don't think that I have any of the pod on the Yakima rack though.
Actually the profile pic is the pod on the factory rack. Not that you can see anything.

Hope this helps.......................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts