Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2007 Becca.
Well, I decided to try one of these H7 LED headlight conversion kits which seem to be fairly common nowadays. I only changed out the low beams to begin with and the connector for the new bulb has a clearly marked +- connector.
The 2 wires in the headlight housing are the same other than the wire on one has a red stripe on it, which indicates to me that it is the positive lead?
I connected the bulb and reattached the battery, and.....nothing. It didnt light up at all, But the other side with the halogen was still working fine. So I tried to switch the +- connectors to see what would happen and it lit up!
So I then connected the other side in the same manner and buttoned everything up.
Upon starting the car, the LED lights are beautifully bright and clean looking.
However, I have noticed several things.

-The LED lights(low beams) are On all the time now, whether or not the switch is set to Off(drl), Parking, On. They also stay on when switching to Highbeam. Odd.

-This bulb switchout seems to have triggered the notorious Check Engine, Traction control, Cruise blink problem which I have read about on here.

-The engine/tranny seems to run fine, as well as stereo, nav, power windows/locks.

I know electrical systems have grown increasingly complex in newer vehicles so I wouldnt put in past the led bulbs to be causing this cascade of other issues. I have ordered a special kit which is supposed to plug into the new bulbs to mimic the resistance of a traditional bulb to fool the system into thinking everything is normal. If this fails, I will switch back to halogen bulbs to see if that clears everything up.

Anyone have any deeper experience with this particular issue?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
746 Posts
Here's one idea. The bulbs are always connected to battery "+" on one side, and controlled on the ground side. When the circuit is off, the other side of the bulb filament is still at +12 V. This may be used by the DRL module (which really is more like light control module) as an input signal, with resistance to the ground much too high to light up the bulb. However, LED units operate at much lower current and may still light up under those conditions. But if so, using LEDs with correct input resistance should solve the problem. Of course, they will be producing about much heat as regular bulbs, which is hopefully accounted for in the design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts