Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just installed these AuxBeam LEDs on my 08 Tribeca, replacing the old halogen low beams. I don't know if anyone else has this problem but my Tribeca seems to eat halogens. I seem to be replacing the low beams every 6 months. Install seemed very easy, no harder than replacing regular halogens. Hope these last. Haven't tried them at night yet. Had to remove the nut on the end in order to get them to fit. I actually think they act more like a heat sink then purely as decoration, but shouldn't affect them too much not having it on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you tested the LED bulbs at night yet? How do you like them? Thinking of doing this upgrade.
Seems quite nice at night. Still haven't done a lot of night driving but in the city they work fine. Thinking of switching out all the lights up front to LED. Definitely like the colour and brightness. Let's just say I won't switch back to halogens. I just hope that they last longer than the halogens.

That being said, light coverage is a little different. Halogens shine 360°C while these bulbs are split down the middle. I'll try to post a picture so you see what I mean.

I thought of buying these LED headlights but was a little afraid of the size of the heat sink and fan. Didn't know if I could get the dust cover back on, but after installing the Auxbeams I'm sure that they would fit too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thx for the write up. Do you think the cap is necessary on top of the led? I took it off to make it fit. I didn't want to retro fit the light in fear of damaging it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
So I was wrong. I parked backed in today, and bombarded my neighbors with light. My LED's make it down my driveway (about 4ish car lengths) across the road, and hit the neighbors garage. Mind you, their garage is uphill a bit, and about 6-7 car lengths.

First time really looking at them not hitting my wife's or my summer car in our driveway. I'm impressed.

Is this strickly the low beams or with other lights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This was my low beams in the picture with fogs, but as you know, the fogs don't throw anywhere near enough to contaminate what you're seeing in the distance.
Awesome. Any ideas for what to install in the fog lights?
I think I have HIDS in my fogs. I can't tell. I do have little boxes that the lights wired too. I have not removed them since they work fine. However, on one side they are lose in the box and go out until I recrimp them. Is the box a sure way to tell these are HIDS or can they just be some other form of lights using the box as a resistor of some sort? Eventually , I want to replace these (I have to rrecrimp them after hitting some large bumps) and would like to just swap what is in there for frmear that the previous owner screws up the wiring. Any ideas for this matter would be great.
To add, the little boxes attached to the bumper with velcro has no wording on it that I can tell what they are.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your lenses must be super clean. I haven't gotten around to wet sanding and polishing them so they are a bit cloudy. Not yellow just a tad cloudy. I am using the same light as you and followed your diagrams. So Thank you.
What did you do to get the bulbs to fit in the lens? Did you remove the cap from the led? Mod the lens hole? Or shave the tops of the led?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your lenses must be super clean. I haven't gotten around to wet sanding and polishing them so they are a bit cloudy. Not yellow just a tad cloudy. I am using the same light as you and followed your diagrams. So Thank you.
What did you do to get the bulbs to fit in the lens? Did you remove the cap from the led? Mod the lens hole? Or shave the tops of the led?
I removed the cap from the LED. I needed to install after another blown halogen bulb. I wasn't going to mod the lens hole. Thought about drilling it out for a nanosecond and then quickly dismissed it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I contacted the company and they said I shouldn't remove anything from the led light. Oh well. I'm not taking them back out and modding the headlightlight to make these fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I contacted the company and they said I shouldn't remove anything from the led light. Oh well. I'm not taking them back out and modding the headlightlight to make these fit.
Agreed. I guess time will tell how long these LED's will last. There are other LEDs out there that are very similar in design that don't have this extra nut on the end. Maybe their fans are more efficient? Maybe they have more copper than aluminum for better heat dissipation? One thing I am going to do is mod the dust cover. I have access to 3D printers at work. I'm planning on printing dust covers that leave a larger void space behind the lights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here is a report from the company Auxlight stating that their warranty will not be affected if the top twist cap is removed to help make them fit the headlight lens. Removing that cap is a much better idea IMHO than modding the lens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Update on these. I installed the Auxbeams back in August, and today in the drive thru for coffee this morning I heard a loud hum. Sure enough, the passenger side bulb was dead. When I got to work I checked what was going on. The passenger side was the loud hum, and the lens was vibrating when I touched it, while the driver side was A-OK. The short of it is; the fan has failed. I purposely torture tested these by re-installing the dust caps with all the wires and transformers inside the lens, so that no extra space was taken up, and no holes were drilled in dust caps.

I'm not saying the enclosed space caused the fan to fail, but I suspect this may have helped to cause premature failure. I'm going to contact them asking for a replacement set since it is a one year warranty. I'll follow up with how it goes.

·
Administrator
654 Posts
I just installed some Katana's in my 06. Seems good so far. The clearance from the rear dust cap is perfect. I slammed the ballasts and everything in there with no ventilation. I don't know how that will go down over time.

I am a bit frustrated though. I 2k cleared the passenger side headlamp assembly to what I thought was perfection and it was beautiful....until I purchased a brand new OEM driver's side headlamp. It made the passenger's side look so old.

There was one revision on B9 Tribeca headlamps as well. I wonder what was revised.

Although it isn't cheap, I'd look at replacing headlamps as well. This refurbishing headlamp assemblies business is nothing as compared to what a new headlamp assembly is like.

The inside of the assembly fails just like the outside eventually. Wacha gonna do about that?

At the price of these headlamps, I am considering Lamin-x or some other alternative since Lamin-x doesn't make anything for the B9 headlamp assembly.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts