Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
2007 B9 with 144k miles. I've had a slight brake fluid leak for a while now but recently it's gotten significantly worse. I can see that the master cylinder is leaking right where it meets the firewall.

I have never changed out a master cylinder before and can't find any info online so far. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to replace the whole master cylinder or is there a seal of some sort that I can replace?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just replace the entire master cylinder when they do that. It's super easy. Two bolts on the firewall, remove the lines and connector and you're done. They fail so rarely that a used one is perfectly good option. I'm not sure what new Subaru units cost but a used OEM MC is probably just as reliable, or more, than an aftermarket MC.

Be sure to have really good appropriate wrenches for pipe fittings for removing those brake fluid connector line fittings. A cheap and/or open end wrench might round the nut off if it's rusty or otherwise tight to get off.

The annoying part is bleeding it, you'll get air all throughout the brake system and need an inordinate amount of fluid to bleed it thoroughly if you're only used to small jobs or depending what method you're using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! That's what I was leaning towards but wasn't sure if that's the best option.

Thanks again! I'll update you once the job is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today is the day for the swap to the used master cylinder. Is there a specific order to bleed the brakes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts